Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Update on my new Jap quails and the new enclosure finished

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:22 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:59 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Here's the pics of the moveable enclosure done bar installing some more roof tin on the top.
They settled in straight away with the brown one laying down in the grass and trying to hide, the female golden half sticking to the familiar ground of the food dish and exploring and the golden male exploring the most and eating grass.
Attachment:
IMG_0850.JPG
IMG_0850.JPG [ 154.52 KiB | Viewed 508 times ]

The white male is still isolated downstairs in the laundry from yesterday to let the little wound under his eye heal some more and for his eyes to get better from the Coryza before deciding whether to put him back with the others.

All of them have it, originally just one of them had signs of it when Mel bought them home, been treating them with Sulfa 3 in the water and occasionally in the beak (now each day to kick it properly), they have been getting better and worse, should get and stay better now that they are ages away from the chooks.

I'm still deciding whether to put the white male back in or not as when I took him out the other male was starting to act like a male but was trying to mount him to mate rather than fight him the poor bud, the white one has the Corydia the worse so he didn't need that as well.

How we decided to secure the front door, some wire secured in place under a screw with the other end wrapped twice around a different screw, there are 2 of them on the door and they hold it closed pretty tight.
Attachment:
IMG_0859.JPG
IMG_0859.JPG [ 115.23 KiB | Viewed 508 times ]

In the sheltered end I set up the container with nesting material and the water, still deciding whether to put in a large nest box instead of the container, the golden female seems to like it so the others might as well. And yes they have water, I'd just refilled it to half way which went down to below the label once turned up the right way.
Attachment:
IMG_0855.JPG
IMG_0855.JPG [ 114.88 KiB | Viewed 508 times ]

Them starting to explore when first put in there and the brown one making herself at home in the long grass (that isn't the longest stuff in the yard either, they will love hiding in the longer stuff).
Attachment:
IMG_0853.JPG
IMG_0853.JPG [ 151 KiB | Viewed 508 times ]

The brown headed male eating the grass and the golden female exploring the nesting area, we had it in their other enclosure but they didn't show any interest in it (was was sitting on a brick so may have been too high for them to want to climb in and out of).
Attachment:
IMG_0858.JPG
IMG_0858.JPG [ 124.45 KiB | Viewed 508 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:06 pm 

Nice :)

I recently put my quail in a new enclosure too, it's great fun watching them explore.