Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Old English Game Standard

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:01 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:26 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

The Old English Gamefowl Standard of Perfection

The following is the Oxford standard, taken from the publication 'The Old English Game Fowl`, by Herbert Atkinson- 5th edition (1924). There were some very minor alterations to this Standard in later editions however, it is the basis of the Australian Standard today.

Head - small, and taper, skin of face and throat flexible and loose. Note A: A loose skin to the throat, to enable the cock to breathe freely when distressed in a long battle.

Beak - big, boxing, crooked or hawk-like, pointed, strong at the setting on. Note B: Boxing means the upper mandible shutting tightly and closing over the lower one, a long under beak lacks holding power.

Eyes - large, bold, fiery and fearless.

Comb - wattles and earlobes- of fine texture, small and thin, in undubbed chickens and hens.

Neck - large boned, round, strong and of fair length. Neck hackle covering the shoulders.

Back - short, flat, broad at the shoulders, tapering to the tail.

Breast - broad, full, prominent, with large pectoral muscles, breast bone not deep or pointed. Note C: An important point. Strong big pectoral muscles give the cock power to fly with strength and force, and furnishes the maximum amount of breast meat for the table.

Wings - large, long and powerful, with large strong quills, amply protecting the thighs. Note D: Long and strong wings impart additional force to the blow when the cock strikes.

Tail - large, up and spread, main feathers and quills, large and strong. In the hen inclined to fan shape, and carried well up. Note E: A high strong tail acts as a rudder, supports and balances the cock when striking , or springing backwards, and indicates courage, the first act of a coward is to lower his tail.

Belly - small and tight.

Thighs - short, round and muscular, following the line of the body or slightly curved.

Legs - strong, clean-boned, sinewy, close scaled, not fat and gummy like other fowls. Not stiffly upright, or too wide apart, and having a good bend, or angle at the hock. Note F: Legs, the bend of the hock, or rather the juncture of the metatarsal bone with the tibia, may be compared to the bent hocks and muscular thighs of the hare and kangaroo, in furnishing them with such wonderful propelling power. In cocks of this perfect conformation there is nothing wasted in these bones, which are constructed to enable him to move with force & velocity commensurate with their distance from the centre of the action, this is the reason the stork-legged bird has no force in his blow; and the cock with legs set wide apart and straight thigh bones is dry heeled, his blows do not wound or kill his adversary.

Feet - toes thin, long, straight and tapering, terminating in long, strong curved nails. Hind toe of good length and strength, extending backwards in almost a straight line.

Spurs - hard, fine, set low on leg.

Plumage - hard, sound, resilient, smooth, glassy and sufficient, without much fluff.

Carriage - proud, defiant, sprightly, active on his feet, ready for any emergency. Alert, agile, quick in his movements.

In Hand - clever, well balanced, hard, yet light fleshed, corky, mellow, and warm, with strong contraction of wings & thighs to the body.

JUDGING TABLE - SCALE OF POINTS

HEAD-including beak and eyes 10
NECK 6
BODY-including breast, back & belly 20
WINGS 7
TAIL 6
THIGHS 8
SHANKS, SPURS, FEET 10
PLUMAGE, COLOUR 9
HANDLING
-symmetry, cleverness, hardness of flesh & feathers, condition and constitution 15

CARRIAGE,ACTION & ACTIVITY 9

TOTAL 100

Serious Defects - thin thighs or neck; flat sided; deep keel, pointed, crooked or indented breast bone; thick insteps or toes; duck feet; straight or stork legs; in-knees; soft flesh; broken, soft or rotten plumage; bad carriage or action; any indication of weakness of constitution.

There is an excellent set of diagrams to show colours here on Ultimate Fowl: http://www.ultimatefowl.com/wiki/index.php?title=Color_Charts&oldid=7600

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:13 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

A few bantam Old English Game that were exhibited this year at the Queensland Royal.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:09 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

If they keep breeding some of the OEG Bantams any bigger,they will have to put them in the large pens, the Black Reds at Geelong last
week,were lucky to stand up in the pens.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:58 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I know what you mean. My second year cock is a full 400g above the maximum weight limit, and all I am told by the top breeders is 'don't worry, its not that bad.' Luckily, I found a smaller, finer line that I am going to have a go with this year.

Maybe, just as a suggestion, the colours could be put next to the bird for those inexperienced (as in me)

Scott

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:09 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

A few of the colours. Top one I don't know.

This is a Pile hen.

Ginger cockerel.

Black Tail Wheaten pullet.

Blue tail wheaten pullet.

Spangled cockerel.

Light Leg Duckwing cock.

image[/quote]

I think this is a grey - someone correct me if I'm wrong.

This was in Brown or Orange Red, so it's one or the either. I think it's brown.

Dark leg black red cock.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:16 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

A few large. I'm no OEG expert so correct me where I make mistakes please.

Pile cock.

Silver duckwing cockerel

Creel cock.

Darl leg black red.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:09 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I think the top one is golden duckwing.
You're right-the one you were unsure about is called a grey, or more commonly know as dark grey.

Scott

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:22 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

The top one is a ginger duckwing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:20 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Top one is actually what is called a yellow birchen.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:03 am 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

blucalypt wrote:
Top one is actually what is called a yellow birchen.

Looks like a yellow birchen to me also, OEG have the most colours of any breed :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:02 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

A pair of Old English Game, stuffed and on display (on the top of a cupboard) at the FCAQI Museum in Caboolture. These are a bit faded now. I believe they are greys.

Birds bred by Athol Pengilley and donated to the FCAQI Museum by Dudley Monement.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:08 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I'd say most in those photos are Carlisle, and not Oxford.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:31 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

In Australia there is no Carlisle Standard. Those fowls above were exhibited under the Old English Game Standard in the Australian Poultry Standards which is the same as the Oxford Standard.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:04 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Chicken07 wrote:
In Australia there is no Carlisle Standard. Those fowls above were exhibited under the Old English Game Standard in the Australian Poultry Standards which is the same as the Oxford Standard.

im only very new to fowl of any sort, but the way i see things although the "standard" is set out, there is no exact type or conformation to these fowl at all. what there is, is an "interpretation" or ones personal take of how they see the discription of the "standard".
Ive read the "standard" over a number of times and i can see how anyone could take certain aspects within the "standard" and go to extremes one way or the other.
I used to breed dogs (sporting) and i can certainly see how the show ring messed them up with breeding to extremes.
bellow is a picture of my "Old English Game" bantam...or miniature.....
If you were to judge him by the conformation of the birds above, he'd be completely wrong wouldn't he?
I personally think he's not to bad, but i know there needs to be improvment also, he is my "interpretation"............

Attachments:
Copy of Copy of DSC_0007.JPG
Copy of Copy of DSC_0007.JPG [ 163.18 KiB | Viewed 6169 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:29 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I think you are right that interpretation comes into it.

My personal preference is for a moderate view.

I'm not expert but your fowl looks pretty good to me. Perhaps closer in style to that black red above?

How the picture is taken can make a big difference as well. There no substitute for seeing and handling the fowls in the flesh.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next