Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Where did you buy your chickens?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:17 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:15 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

It would be interesting and perhaps helpful to share how we found our chickens. I'm struggling to find anything on the backyard poultry noticeboard in QLD. If anyone can recommend any other online avenues for buying chickens that would be great!

When I lived in SA I found all my girls on the backyard poultry noticeboard, on 10 different occasions. My neighbours chicken also moved in with me on her own accord. Now that I'm in Brisbane I've found the search for heritage breeds to be quite a lengthy quest. Right now my flock consists of only 2 ladies. They're very happy together but I would like 2 more girls so they can have more company and I can have more eggs :-)

1 girl is apparently a light Sussex bantam and I spontaneously purchased her from Capalaba produce store because she won me over with her personality- she's so social and comfortable around people, probably because she's had a great deal of interaction at a busy store. I'm so happy with her.

My second girl is a pretty little Plymouth rock bantam from a heritage breed farm. So far she is the most nervous Plymouth rock I've ever met. I've had at least 15... I hope with time and lots of treats she'll settle in to her new life here.

Anyway I would love to hear how you built your flock. :) :clnava

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:28 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

All of mine have come from eggs from different breeders, except for one lot which I bought in as young chicks last year. Most have been sourced from breed groups from Facebook as there aren't really any quality breeders around me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:43 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Azira wrote:
All of mine have come from eggs from different breeders, except for one lot which I bought in as young chicks last year. Most have been sourced from breed groups from Facebook as there aren't really any quality breeders around me.

Hi Azira, thanks for responding. I would love to hatch some eggs one day. I think that might be in my future if I can't find the chickens breeds I want. I've started with chicks before but never incubated eggs. I need to do a lot more research before I get eggs I think. But could you please recommend some facebook groups?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:15 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

What breeds are you after?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:49 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Azira wrote:
What breeds are you after?

Hi again,

I would love either a bantam Silver Laced Wyandotte, Barred Plymouth Rock or a Barnevelder but they seem even rarer. I have room for 2 more girls. I've probably chosen a quiet time of year for getting chickens... but I guess good things come to those who wait

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:53 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Always worth a look on gumtree as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:50 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Plymouth wrote:
Hi again,

I would love either a bantam Silver Laced Wyandotte, Barred Plymouth Rock or a Barnevelder but they seem even rarer. I have room for 2 more girls. I've probably chosen a quiet time of year for getting chickens... but I guess good things come to those who wait

I am not in a Plymouth Rock group, but I'm in Wyandotte and Barnevelder groups that often have good quality birds for sale.

Wyandotte Breeders of Australia (apparently I accidentally un-joined at some point, lol): https://www.facebook.com/groups/170131289860145/
Exhibition Wyandotte Breeders of Australia (fewer sales, but lots of lovely birds): https://www.facebook.com/groups/174002442681497/
Aussie Barnevelder Hub (Adam Fontana has some gorgeous birds): https://www.facebook.com/groups/aussiebarnevelderhub/

And of course the BYP Facebook group if you aren't already there: https://www.facebook.com/groups/backyardpoultry/

Hopefully that gives you a jumping off point. Just take your time, and it's always worth looking at transporting them from interstate if there is nothing near you. There are some great pet transporters, and while it would cost to bring them to you, sometimes there are birds out there that just can't be passed up. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:51 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thank you so much for putting together that information :). The more resources the better. I've now sent every group a request. Fingers crossed I find some gals.

You are right about Adam Fontana's birds. Oh lala! Those double laced silver Barnevelders are perfection! They not only have lovely plumage but pretty faces. I've never transported chickens before so that might be an interesting adventure. I wonder if bantam silver laced barnevelders are available yet? I think I know what I want for Christmas.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:09 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I'm going to extend the sleeping area of my chicken coop. There's too many beautiful chickens!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:18 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

hi there,
all mine were sourced individually from around Australia,i have freighted nearly all of them from qld,vic to Sydney and find it easy and yes its a bit costly but if you want a particular breed or age then Im happy to do it.i look at byp noticeboard,gumtree and farmstock classifieds ( poultry) and I can find any breeds I want on there but yes there are quiet times when breeders just wont have much.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:06 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

klw wrote:
hi there,
all mine were sourced individually from around Australia,i have freighted nearly all of them from qld,vic to Sydney and find it easy and yes its a bit costly but if you want a particular breed or age then Im happy to do it.i look at byp noticeboard,gumtree and farmstock classifieds ( poultry) and I can find any breeds I want on there but yes there are quiet times when breeders just wont have much.

I imagine you have quite a beautiful flock :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:07 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

yes im very happy with my girls they are all beautiful especially my 2 gold spangled hamburgs which everyone wants to take home when they see them lol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:12 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

klw wrote:
yes im very happy with my girls they are all beautiful especially my 2 gold spangled hamburgs which everyone wants to take home when they see them lol

I googled those hamburgs. They are quite beautiful creatures. They have very pretty faces too. You got good taste in birds :clnava

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:33 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

thanks Plymouth I think so too :laughing