Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - How many eggs should we eat??

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:30 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:38 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

6.30 Tuesday, and Channel 9 News are about to tell us what the new research is advising - whether to eat more eggs or less for our health may be revealed (or not).

Edit to add: well that was good. "They" have discovered eggs do not cause high cholesterol, and we may safely double the recommended number of eggs per person per week from six to twelve. The Heart Foundation are not convinced (well they'd have to re-print all their books wouldn't they) and would like to consider various trials. I'm convinced: not that I can recall who did this trial, but they sounded confident.

Chicken Math means we can all increase our backyard flock to produce an extra one dozen eggs a week for every two family members.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:28 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Sooo - maybe local councils need to re think the regulations in the interests of local public health.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:58 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

i read that eggs contain good cholesterol. I know that 2 years ago we had a group weight challenge at work. I had my cholesterol checked when started was 5.2 and after 8 weeks was 3.6 . everyday I ate porridge for breakfast , 2 eggs for lunch and chicken breast for dinner.
I lost 13 kilos :yess , won $400 dollars :woot: . But of course slower it went back on :aaah! once the diet was over and was back to bad habits :roll: . but definitely my cholesterol level went down. have to lower it again now :hiding

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:09 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

sue55 wrote:
Sooo - maybe local councils need to re think the regulations in the interests of local public health.

Crossed my mind also - I don't know if it's the best news for the hens on pseudo free range farms. If consumption/demand increased they would be again pushing the stocking rate boundaries where they could. For those of us with sometimes just a few dozen eggs a week to sell it is welcome news. Hoping if there is a demand increase that Councils (Dept of Health) won't become aggressively even more controlling of backyarders. Big business will certainly be ready to corner any market increase opportunities and push their entitlement, as they did to get the legislation changed to hurt backyard poultry.