Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Miserable Fox Came to Visit

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:06 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:35 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

There is not really much to be done about it right now. One of the girls didn't come in last night. My dear husband put them to bed and didn't count them because he said he didn't know how many there were supposed to be. About 3:30am there was a massive crash in the night time shelter. I looked out the window in time to see that the poor girl had run for safety and smashed into the closed door just as the fox caught her and ran off. Seconds later I heard her last cry. I went out, in the rain, and found nothing.

Since then I have sat alone drinking tea and feeling teary. There were 13, now there are 12. Each of them is special. I know each one's parents, grandparents and for some even further back than that. They are not purebreds or show chooks but I couldn't love them more. My husband sat watching a movie until he left for work just now. He asked me what I found when I came inside and he said he was sorry that I lost her. Then he went back to his movie and didn't speak to me or even look at me until he said goodbye. He is not an arsehole, he just doesn't get it. We've had chooks for years. We've lost a few to foxes and neighbour's dogs over the decades. It still really hurts. Every time it happens I wonder if I should give up on keeping them.

Once it gets light I'll have to beef up security (in the rain) because now that the rotten thing has had a feed it will be back looking for more. I feel so despondent. I'll be stressing about this every night for who knows how long. Wondering if I can outfox the fox.

After years of absence I came to BYP because I knew you'd understand :bawl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:52 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

:hug
Oh, so sorry for you.
Yes, i understand because it is the same for me.
I was wet through yesterday catching the ones who didnt want to come but whose run was too wet (flooded) to stay in. They're now together with another group. It's squashy but safe and dry. I've been out there 3 times already checking everyone found a perch to sleep on. Yes, they're "just" chooks, but they're my chooks and i care about them too.
We talk to them when we "visit", thank them for their eggs, give them medicine when they are sick and mourn them when they go. As you would for any loved one.
Big hug.