Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - My solution for roosters... Warning... Some may not like!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:06 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:15 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

well its a pretty standard thing right? you breed chooks, youre gonna get lumped with a lot of little boys running around that no one wants. And i have tried advertising purebreeds for sale for $5 each, advertising them for free, and i still cant shift them, and of course not! most people cant have a rooster in suburbia.
Well.... i now have a guy who is local who is taking them off my hands for me.
He has a raptor rescue centre and has a huge property devoted to rescuing injured raptors and native wildlife and releasing them back to the wild.
He is collecting my young roos at whatever age i have them (even fully grown) and PUTTING them down, before using them as food for his birds. He does not put live chooks in cages for 'sport and training', in fact most he puts down calmly and quietly at my house... so i know this for a fact.
I considered this years ago and was horrified at the idea of sending birds off to animal parks... but i was of the opinion they would be supplied 'live' to the animals and this wasnt acceptable to me.
Now however, considering most of the little boys we get we are having to cull ourselves and bury or dispose of anyway... i am pleased to be able to say that i am supporting a very good cause... people like these carers usually dont get any funding from the government and are responsible for all costs involved in their 24/7 volunteer work.
im really happy to be helping out such a good cause and although i know there will no doubt be some unhappy campers, realistically there arent all that many options.

:) im sure there are plenty of people all over Australia like my local bloke who would benefit from 'donations' like this if any of you are interested...

i hope no one has been offended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:20 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

You gotta do what you've gotta do, at least they are not going to waste.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:21 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

its a really good idea actually- id much rather do that than have to give them the chop myself- and theyre going to good use. i still dont think i coud do it- actually i know i couldnt (shh its why i have so many roosters) but its a good option for many people

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:43 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

If it's a peaceful method of euthenasia over a chopping block, then I can only give it my full approval. While I'm sure we're all passionate about chooks, there's also realistic limitations we have in keeping a healthy flock. This requires the early termination of some birds.

Animals are here for us to look after but also as a food source for many other animals. As long as its done responsibly from our end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:22 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

you cant keep them all . and roosters are hard to shift

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:50 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I think it's a great idea HillbillyGirl, and really there is no problem in doing what you are doing as we do run beef for meat and farm many other animals for food production.

Its the circle of life, one eats the other to keep going, one cannot be offended as the options are next to none and it is done in a humane way.

Good on you HB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:43 pm 
Golden Cockatoo
Golden Cockatoo

Great idea Hills! I wish there was a raptor rescue down here!

NellyG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:29 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

What a great idea.I hate culling and wasting my excess cockerals.Just wish we has something similar nearby. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:21 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Fantastic idea have no problems with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:15 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Absolutely in agreement here - well done for finding a use for your roosters that also accords with your own ethics!

I hadn't thought of that either. I wonder if the local zoos need supplies?

I also admit that knowing they put the birds down _beforehand_ makes the decision a lot easier. And at least you don't have to gut and pluck the things!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:52 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I wonder if they take drakes too...
I think if people wanted to do this, they can just ask any local wildlife carers. Maybe they know people who rehabilitate raptors.
So you going to get into an extra breeding frenzy now that the excess boys can be taken care of! :wink: I know I'd let my ducks breed whenever they wanted too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:28 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

no offence... but why not eat them?

Post subject: roos
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:40 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I agree with chookster why not eat them yourselves .Roos are no different to eat than hens .
Yeh i know its to hard .
I know a family that gives about 30 roos away then goes to the supermarket to buy packs of chicken to feed the family of 7

Society and people have lost logic some where along the track

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:26 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

I'm sure HillbillyGirlWA will let us know why she's unable to eat all of their unwanted roosters - she does say in her post that she culls them anyway - and if one has too many roosters to eat, or sell/give away for eating, then supporting wildlife rehabilitation is a brilliant way to use those excess hatched boys ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:04 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

chookster wrote:
no offence... but why not eat them?

arrrgh! this is one of my issues. i HAD a friend who agreed to do all my culling and meat preparation... we would share the meat, as i dont want to have to do any killing myself... so after he agreed on this i bought some meat birds and started breeding them.. only now he is too busy long story short and has let me down... so now i have all these huge 5 month roos ready for eating and no one to cull or buy!! its been a wasted effort keeping them this long and far easier to get rid of them early... and at the 4-6 week mark where theyre sexable theyre not really much good for eating are they? for the amount of time youd need to pluck and clean for the amount of meat? no thanks. i would rather have my hands clean and not 'learn' about killing them to eat, and offer them to the Raptor park where the meat will be used for a much better cause than filling my tum! :wink: