Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Records

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:00 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Records
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:53 am 
Swan
Swan

Does anyone else keep records for how many eggs they get each day? or what other type of 'Records' do you keep for your Poultry.

Post subject: Re: Records
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:10 am 
Wise One
Wise One

Records:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7972127&hilit=Records

Written Records:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7969624&p=215866&hilit=records#p215866

Keeping incubation/Hatching records?
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7965138&p=176537&hilit=records#p176537

Leg Rings
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1575&hilit=records

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:56 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

We keep recoeds in Chris' chooky note book about how many eggs got set and how (chook or 'bator), how many were lost at 14 day candling, how many hatch, how many died at hatch. How many were infertile or unviable versus how many just failed to hatch, just to let us know who is a good pairing and who might be shooting blanks or geneticly unviable. Who the mum and dad were, when i needle test them, how many are girls or boys, and how many turn out to be girls and boys at the end. (so far 80 - 90% sucsessful). We are just getting big enough to be going into leg rings now, befor we could just sight recognise the birds. Toni.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:21 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I know of someone in NZ who records exactly how many eggs each bird lays----too much for me,I do keep records but more the breeding side of things than the production side :D cheers pam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:06 pm 
Swan
Swan

Ok then, i keep an egg record.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:00 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

Yes, I keep stats on eggs from each chook. Even weigh each egg - yes, I know it's a bit over the top, but I only have a few chooks.
Also records of medications, worming, dusting, sprays, etc.
Adults birds are weighed at least every couple of months. Chicks weighted weekly, but cutting back to fortnightly now that they're 20 weeks old.
Also all costs, including food, litter, medications, etc.
All in Excell spreadsheets.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:06 pm 
Swan
Swan

Mariel i do most of that but the weight and cost.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:36 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Wow. I thought I was doing well with keeping a list of the chooks, their names, ages and when last treated for parasites. I also have a diary that I put their hatch or purchase date in to keep track of their ages. I should record the hatching % from the incubator and broody hens and fertility of the eggs but having only hatched so few I had a basic idea - as numbers have increased I should probably keep this written down. I also count the eggs laid each day but dont record it. I have a bit of a theory that I should get half the number of eggs per hens. For example if there are 30 hens/pullets I should get 15 eggs a day - this takes into account those a bit young to lay, broody hens, moulting hens, those getting old and those just having their normal day off. So if I'm getting over 15 they are doing well, under 15 they're being a bit slack. I havnt started using leg rings or other identification yet - but may one day. The problem with having to replace rings as they grow is slowing me down.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:47 am 
Great Game
Great Game

I keep a record of when bags of feed opened (i.e. rate of food consumption and cost!), ages of young ones, and in my little duck book who was mated to whom to produce what sex offspring and their colouring/marking - in the hope that one day I can accurately predict what I'll get with each cross!