Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - IM SO ANGRY I JUST DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:00 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:29 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Oh im sorry if i sound mad but i really am right now!! I was happily sitting inside with my kids having the sunday roast and heard a mad clucking outside. Out i go to find someones dog in my yard and he had killed between 6 and 8 of my chooks!!! :upset:
Im so mad and upset i dont know what to do! My poor babies. I am hoping he has only got 6 of them. The rest are back in the hen house but 2 are still missing, i cant find the bodies so i am praying he just frightened them and they are hiding somewhere.
i know its not the dogs fault, i diddnt yell at him, just put a collar and lead on him and went marching up the road in my nightie to find out who owned him. I told them what he had done and said he had to pay the about $300 it will cost me to replace them and he just said i will call you cos i dont have the funds!
I have worked for over 12 months to get the stock i had, oh honestly im just so hurt and upset!!
How am i supposed to protect my chooks from something like that!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:41 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Julia

Thats just so frustrating and I feel for you. No simple answer - a complex answer is to have a fortress at all times.

I would suggest that you file a small debts claim with the local chamber magistrate though. Its just too easy to claim "no funds" when no court order is applied.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:15 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Oh no. That's terrible. He doesn't sound very apologetic. It's just not good enough. Which chickens did the dog get?

Did you get his name and details? Photograph the dead birds and document the events of the day in case you want it later. I would take it further if I were you. You've worked hard to get them and you deserve to have them replaced.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:23 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Edited to add: I'm really sorry to hear about the loss of your chooks. It is so hard when things happen like this.

Yes, it is really hard to know what to do in these situations. We *think* our dog (who we inherited with the farm, and always had her owner with her but was allowed to roam - not that she went very far) got a chook from next door. (I was driving past and thought I saw her with a chook in her mouth, but not 100% sure if she had killed or not). So I popped $100 in a card and visited the neighbours for the first time to explain what I saw and apologise.

They are very elderly, and hadn't noticed if a chook was missing or not (their daughter looks after their animals, and hadn't mentioned anything). I felt so terrible, even moreso when they said not to worry about it. All I could do was make sure they kept the envelope and they haven't mentioned anything since.

Honestly, I can't explain how bad I felt about it all (and we're not even sure if she killed the chook!!) and I wasn't sure how to approach it. I felt sick to the stomach when I knocked on their door, but am glad I went to see them instead of the other way around.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:36 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Fortunately there are some decent people in the world. Well done MWR!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:51 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

jay - that is just awful! The owner is responsible and I urge you to phone the council and tell them what happened and lodge a complaint. Then if (heavens forbid) it ever happens again you are not starting from scratch with them.

NellyG :grouphug:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:30 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Thanks so much to everyone.
I have been sitting here trying to be calm and think about what to do. the hard thing is it was a staffy that broke in and killed them. I have owned staffies all my life and know what they are like towards livestock if not trained. I have a 21 week old staff here and hes great with chooks now and i also have a 10 week old thats still being trained. he was a beautiful dog, loved my dogs and was fine with my kids, he has no idea he has done the wrong thing and thats what breaks my heart. Why cant people care for their dogs!! I would never forgive myself if one of my animals killed or hurt someone elses stock.
I am sick to my stomach with worry that he will come back, he only lives about 5 houses up from me and the reason i found his owner was because someone i door knocked said oh yes hes always running around! When his owner came up to me he said to the dog dont jump up on me, im sick of you running away. the worst thing is i have to let my chooks out at least 2 days this week as we are finishing off the chook house renovations.
The owner was upset he had done this but im not sure to what extent, i think he was just a bit shocked when i told him, he said he was going to ring me tomorrow and try to sort something out but he is a young guy so im not holding my breath.
I lost my aracanas, silver spangled hamburgs, a isa brown, show quality silkies and a belgium duccle. Most of my favorites of corse and birds i have taken ages to find, especially the silver spangled hamburgs. I am hoping thats all i have lost, it was getting dark so by the time i had gotten the dog off my property and came home it was hard to see. I guess the morning will show me just what has happened.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:35 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Sorry to hear about your birds. So many dog owners just think they are just chooks. They have no idea about trying to find the ones you want etc and how much time you put into them.

I think I would have kept the dog and got the council ranger out.

Down here you have to prove which dog did it, to get any compensation, so you basically tie the dog up, get the ranger out and then they take it up with the owner. The council fines them for the property loss plus the fines for the dog out roaming. As soon as someone says "no funds" you know you will be out of pocket for something that isnt your fault.

J

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:59 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

As I see it the most important thing is that he doesn't do it again. I agree with John - if you catch him out or on your property again - keep him and phone the ranger. I think the council MUST be involved for you to have any hope of preventing a reoccurence. Compensation, though nice, isn't as important as protecting you remaining chooks. Nothing can replace the ones that were lost. Though I agree, some money would at least help to get some new ones.

NellyG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:09 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

My first thought was just that, keep him on the deck and call the council. BUT, as im sure we all know, rural...sunday night....everything is closed and i sure wasnt going to keep him here for the night. Even the pounds are closed. I also have 2 young children and the chickens were killed right outside the front door and their bedroom windows so my teenager and i cleaned up so they babies cant see all that in the morning when they wake up. I have kept the bodies so i will make some calls in the morning to see what can be done about it.

On a happy note :) I just got a knock on my door and my brand spanking new neighbour had one of our silkies under his arm!! Thats one back home safe and sound at least! Shes verry frightened and her wings have had a bit of damage but shes cleaned up and back with her mates now. Finally some good news tonight.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:19 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

That is a releif to get even one back! What a nice neighbour to bring her home.

NellyG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:25 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Location: drought or flooding rain with the random bushfire storm = yep thats about it for here
jayborox wrote:

On a happy note :) I just got a knock on my door and my brand spanking new neighbour had one of our silkies under his arm!! Thats one back home safe and sound at least! Shes verry frightened and her wings have had a bit of damage but shes cleaned up and back with her mates now. Finally some good news tonight.

concentrating on the positive here - SUCH GOOD NEWS !! after such horrid news [my heart goes out to you!!! :grouphug: ]

soon expect to read the post that the other missing one is returned to you

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:30 pm 
Nifty Duck
Nifty Duck

Im so sorry to hear what has happened. It must be devastating. Im glad you got a silkie back. I hope it all works out with your neighbour. If you explain that they werent just "chooks" to you, maybe he will pay you. Ask him for even $20 per week.
My ex had 2 beautiful dogs. They jumped the fence (which we didnt think they could do) and killed a ladies chooks down the road. We were so upset they had done it. We paid her what she said they were worth. The ranger got involved and said we had to get them put down :( Couldnt believe it, they were like our kids. We cried for days.

There comes a time in life when you must walk away from all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus on the good

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:17 am 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Sorry to hear about your chooks, such a sight for you.
I had a lovely stafford male for 13 years, he was a beautiful dog, he loved everything (except other dogs up until his old age) but cats, chooks etc he would not touch, it seemed "beneath" him to hurt something like that. He just was the sweetest guy, had to have him put down in Feb last year due to brain cancer. I still miss him.

Speak again to the people involved, don't leave it at this, but wait until you are clear headed and not so emotional (which is very understandable by the way) if it was my dog that killed your hens I would want to know, and I would also like the opportunity to make things right but I may not have the funds, as others don't at this time, to do so. Hopefully they will do the right thing in time.

I don't believe the dog should be put down, please don't take that as a bleeding heart type response but we are responsible for our animals and this dog is no different, if it should kill again then yes, that is a different story, I belive in training and re-training but not banging your head until it bleeds.

I truly hope you get a good outcome.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:37 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Well a totally sleepless night, every time the chooks made the slightest noise i was outside freaking out. And of corse they were noisy because they had been so scared.
The differing opinions about if the dog should be put down is amazing, even amongst my friends. One is adament he should be destroyed, what if its a child next time!! Others think its not his fault. Im myself am totally unsure. I am such a animal lover i dont know if i could live with myself having him destroyed. The owners on the other hand i am happy to deal with. :x
I have decided today i am going to ring council and the vets. Get some advice and go from there. The dog was beautiful, he honestly had no idea what he had done. But we do live semi rural and i believe the council needs to make sure the dog is properly contained. I know for a fact the house he lives in is not fenced and i am assuming as he came here with no collar he has broken off a unsuitable run.

Latest good news update!! My favorelle roo and 2 aracanas have come home thismorning!! :) I knew my roo had gotten away and taken off and the aracanas were the only ones we couldnt find bodies of. That takes the count down to 5, all of them have been collected. But i at least got to cry thismorming because i was happy to see 3 frightened faces at my door!