Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Can foxes jump fences?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:24 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can foxes jump fences?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:25 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

The fence at the back of the house is very secure and cannot be drug under. Can a fox jump a 4 foot paling fence?

mm :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:30 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I've heard they can climb very high although I haven't witnessed it myself, I would think they could get over a paling fence if they really wanted to, probably depends on how rough the wood is and if they can get enough of a hold with the pads of their feet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:42 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I found my beautiful Cayuga drake pulled apart in the pen :cry:

mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:17 am 
Swan
Swan

yeah they can jump over so can wild dogs they jump over electric and barb wire fences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:19 am 
Golden Magpie
Golden Magpie

The answer is a very sound yes - they jump and climb

I have had a fox climb over a six foot chain wire fence. He couldn't get back out though because the fence sloped inwards but had a merry old time while in the pen.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:26 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

If it was a fox...don't they tend to take away their prey and not just stop at one?

mm :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:27 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

For goodness sake my grandmother can jump over a 4 ft fence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:31 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Foxes do not know when they will feed next, and are likely to get into a frenzy and kill anything that moves - in the hope it will be there when they get back.

i had a friend with fences like fort knox - with eclectic wires round it, fox still managed to get through and killed 6 geese - but could not get out with the full weight of the geese, hence he took the head/neck.

Birds should always be securely penned at night, there as many if not more foxes in town as there are in the country in my opinion.

Kind Regards

Honk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:38 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Well Denis, I can't and neither can either one of my dogs!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:24 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

you must have a pretty cool Granny Denis!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:18 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

my father in law had a fox go over their back fence after he caught it having a go at the chooks... 7 ft paling fence....no rails on the inside....he went straight over first time.

they are buggers!

Hen houses $355. Whole packages available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:40 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

MM

We used to have a fox (she taught her babies well) She used to run at our 6ft netting fence with a double run of barbed wire at the top.

To combat the relentless attacks, I installed twin electric fence wires between the bottom barb wire and top strainer wire. We have since killd a fox and a ferral cat caught between the electric and barb wires. (the energiser we use is one desgned for a 150km fence line so it has a decent punch)

Foxes are opportunists and one evening I sat on the roof of a shed and watched my hens grazing gracfully in their yard and a fox ran at the fence and was abruptly shocked as it ran up the fence the hens then ran inside their house and hid. The fox was pretty shocked and took off for easier prey.

With the added use of foot netting that is burried out from the base of the fence, I think we might have won the battle. This however doesn't mean that we can become complacent.

The drake you found torn apart might have been mauled by cat.

Sorry to hear of your tragic loss

Regards

Aus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:30 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thank you to all.

mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:04 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Yes they can.
Mr fox climbed in and was just killing when my husband found dead chooks. Mr fox just turned and climbed out over the 6 foot chain cyclone fence, loose and not easy to climb but he did it very well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:50 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

yes they can jump fences, even the highest fence with netting on it to stop what was cats from climbing over into our backyard.

one day i didn't realized what had happen. i heard my pekin bantam hen named millie cackling away. i assumed that she must have flown out of the chicken pen. i went to check her and lock her up, however she was by herself. i saw feathers strewn everywhere in the chicken coop. i looked into the dog kennel and all 6 bantams were gone. the 7th being millie who has survived. i was so worried about millie that i locked her up every night. my neighbour found part of my chickens in her backyard and said that the fox must have come back to take the rest of the bodies to feed her brood. i was so angry and i was so ignorant back in june. it was terrible, nothing could replace my bantams every again. it was very sad and i was almost in tears about what has happened. especially the silkies being unable to fly.

a few days earlier i noticed blood in the dog kennel amongst the straw and feathers everywhere in the backyard. i assumed that the pekin rooster tried to get frisky with the girls. also the strange or unusual part is that my rooster jack the pekin rarely crowed until about 9am in the morning. how he was crowing at least 7pm every morning for the past 2 days before they were all killed. the fox must have came and tested and see if they were good picking.

the attack must have happened during the early morning. it was very sad, my mother probably didn't know until she came back from her jogging. the feathers were everywhere. my father and myself locked up the new chickens every night. nothing could replace the pekin rooster, a pekin crossed hen, two silkies a black one and a white one that a friend has given to us since she was not able to look after and advised not have the lovely bird eaten, two pekin bantams from the market and also a normal feathered bearded silkie, they all disappeared. only millie was the survivor and i still have her to this day and i always ensured that nothing has happened to her.

there is my story. so please be aware and don't let this happen to you. foxes can jump pretty high fences and make sure there are barrels or oil drums nearby which can make their jump easier in and out of the your backyard. this is a lesson that i had learnt the hard way!