Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Agressive Peafowl (peacocks)

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:17 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:30 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

:hiya:

Just wanted to know/check something with you all...

We have 1 pr of Peafowl (male and female that i called 'Asher' and 'Angel') that are about 2 & half years old, and they are very aggressive towards fellow animals of all kinds!

Is this normal?
We have put up with it for years now thinking and hoping it will only get better with age...but I don't think so and it is a concern....

The Peacock is just an idiot....he attacks/stalks the big dog...then when the dog runs away...the peacock will jump on him and attack him.
Another instance is with the waterfowl...he just dominates over all and attacks them if he wants....even the Geese (eventhough they are small light placid geese...not Toulouse, Embdens, Chinese etc)...
Also...I cannot let the Orpington Chooks out of their pen....they live down the back (about 200m away) in the pen and get let out every afternoon...and do not walk up to the house for the simple reason....the bloody peacock attacks them!! If I do not let the geese and/or some ducks into the houseblock (where the peafowl hang), the both of them will fly down the back to the pens and source out the chooks and attack them. They seem to want company, because when they do have company they don't go out of their way to find the Orp Chooks and attack them...instead they just stay around the house and just attack things up here. But they love to attack the chooks!
The Peacock picks one out for a start, stalks it (particually the rooster) till he gets tired, then backs him into a corner and starts attacking him till the rooster bleeds from the comb...if I don't go out and stop it he will kill him.
If that isn't enough....he will get bored and start with a hen....do the same thing with her...or a youngster....
Sometimes the Peacock and Peahen will both be at it!! Like a pride of Lions ganging up on something and wearing it out till it gets tired and then they both work together in hearding a single fowl or 2 fowl in a corner...then attack!

The Peahen is almost just as bad....she will attack the Japs, the young ducks or the pheasent in the aviary, she will keep everyone away from food at feeding time all for herself, but then eat nothing and just stand there...the Peacock is the same...so then I trow a bit of feed elsewhere for others to eat...no the peahen comes over and hogs that, while the peacock is hogging the other lot...so I throw a third lot of food around and space it all about for all to eat...no the both of them will run round and do their best to keep all away, but not eat it themselves...so others starve.

It's insane :!:
It really annoys me that all can't live in harmony :x
The Orpingtons never come up to house because of these things and the waterfowl are just fed up with them, but still come up to house, the japs are scared stiff, and the dog won't go near the pair.

They have not bred yet, but she has laid infertile eggs in the past.
I did buy 2 peachicks thinking that might help in someway...well, there's only 1 left due to the peahen killing it through the cage. (but what kind of idiot peachick hangs around right on the edge of the cage all time to let itself be attacked!.. :o )

Thanks for reading :? 8) ..I know it's a bit of a story :roll: , but this way you get the picture... :)
Any ideas on why or advise on how to fix this problem would be well appreciated :!: :D :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:55 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

They are very dominent we have one male two females plus 7 young ones.The young ones are locked away from there mothers but they sit on top of there cage all day protecting them from a far.
The females were worse before they had young ones we got them at about 6 months but when they sat and hatched out their babies they seemed to have mellowed a bit
Food is all important and they believe it is there right rather than anyone elses.

The ducks and chooks used to get hunted down by the male and yes he did kill one or two chooks in his endeavors.
Then we bought in the two females and some sort of normality has returned.

They aggitate the roosters through the wire leading to aggressive rooster-not happy with that.

Will try to take on the cats for their food if someone leaves the back door open

Dont know if it is having two females but this makes for a calm life here.
Probably have not helped you too much but do understand what you are saying.
This time last year they all could have been shipped off to the first available auction now I just have to stop the male attacking the elgas man when he delivers the gas :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:11 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Thanks for that :) .

Maybe I should go in search of another female.

but what I do know is...I cannot put up with these two for much longer...and we keep getting around the house saying stuff like: "barstard of a peacock"..."mungrel bird"..."B#@^H of a Peahen"...."peafowl are so over-rated"...or..."They're going!"...but never do. :lol:

Thanks for your avise/help/view...I was thinking of trying another peahen too.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:24 am 
Wise One
Wise One

My brother had a couple of Peacocks (male and female) and though they wernt aggressive towards anyone (including pets) they hated certain colour cars and would attack them when they visited his property! Would scratch the hell out of them...he had to get rid of them, pretty as they were :(

Cheers,
Michelle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:48 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Wow sounds like you have a bad one there! I have one adult Peacock, he actually shares an area with our Plymouth Rock rooster with no probs. He is a gentle creature who will happily eat out of your hand.
I was actually looking for some friends for him - some wives or another Peacock to keep him company, but after reading your post it makes me a little cautious, other peacocks may corrupt him and his good behavior may change.
I don't know what to recomend for your naughty peacock, have you ever wondered what roast peacock tastes like? Lol.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:53 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

the lady i am getting my pair from has 10........4 cocks and 6 hens. they share the yard with about 30 or so chooks. and the lot are allowed to roam her neighborhood. she has yet to have any problems.........touch wood, and i hope to have the same here when my pair.

danish brown leghorns..araucanas..white, partridge & self blue silkies..black sumatras..BBR cubalayas..golden phoenix..WC black polish bantams..a few Xs... and no peafowl this season :'(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:58 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

oh good lord, they sound like terrible toddlers!! good luck with it all, you're all far braver than i!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:06 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

if anyone up around my way is interested there are two males and one or two females going for an absolute song as the owner has to move and cant catch them so if you want them let me know and I'll organise a catch it yourself day for you. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:11 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Have no trouble at all with our peafowl. Peafowl are reknown as "bullies" and ours will try to throw their weight around at times but generally they co-exist happily with all our fowls including the Modern bantams.

We have a dog that pretty much rules the yard. She takes her role as chook protector VERY seriously and keeps the foxes at bay. Any fuss in the yard and she's straight down the back checking it out. If any of our roosters get involved in a disagreement she's quickly in between them sorting it out. She might have the peafowl towing the line as well.

In your case could it be case of who came first, the chicken or the peafowl?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:15 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

David Geering wrote:
Have no trouble at all with our peafowl.

Good for you that you have no probs with your peafowl. :D How many do you have?...

In your case could it be case of who came first, the chicken or the peafowl?

In my case David, the chooks came 1st.

Frawley wrote:
if anyone up around my way is interested there are two males and one or two females going for an absolute song as the owner has to move and cant catch them so if you want them let me know and I'll organise a catch it yourself day for you. :wink:

I have no idea where Kin Kin is... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

spanky wrote:
oh good lord, they sound like terrible toddlers!! good luck with it all, you're all far braver than i!

Well...I think they are worse than toddlers!! :x :swords: :swords:

peeper lilly wrote:
the lady i am getting my pair from has 10........4 cocks and 6 hens. they share the yard with about 30 or so chooks. and the lot are allowed to roam her neighborhood. she has yet to have any problems.........touch wood, and i hope to have the same here when my pair.

Good Luck to you there :D

teela wrote:
Wow sounds like you have a bad one there! I have one adult Peacock, he actually shares an area with our Plymouth Rock rooster with no probs. He is a gentle creature who will happily eat out of your hand.
I was actually looking for some friends for him - some wives or another Peacock to keep him company, but after reading your post it makes me a little cautious, other peacocks may corrupt him and his good behavior may change.
I don't know what to recomend for your naughty peacock, have you ever wondered what roast peacock tastes like? Lol.

LOL. I am that close to it Teela :swords:
A friend of my has a darling gorgeous peacock, that is similar to yours and has had mungrel aggressive peacocks in the past...but luckily now has a peacock similar to yours, (in nature), and she won't trade him for anything....nor will she get any more peafowl added to her flock as she believes it will change him and disrupt him.... :shock: 8)

Ritavaleimbil wrote:
My brother had a couple of Peacocks (male and female) and though they wernt aggressive towards anyone (including pets) they hated certain colour cars and would attack them when they visited his property! Would scratch the hell out of them...he had to get rid of them, pretty as they were :(

Cheers,
Michelle

I have heared of that before actually.

I must add also that the pair I have is brother and sister. :shock: :?
and they are not really interested in eachother for mating...are approx 2 1/2yrs old, and peck eachother at feeding time over the food....they used to do it more so when they were young.

Soon it will be roast peacock or giveaway mungrel peafowl!! :x :swords: :swords: :roll: :shock: :lol:

Thanks all for your input :wink: :D 8)
:bolt:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:34 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

kin kin is about 20mins sth of gympie. it's a lovely little village type place, hidden away in the hills :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:09 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

The number of Peafowl I have varies. At the moment I have an old male bird (no idea just how old), a mature hen (again, no idea of age), a second year cock, a second year hen and four young of the year. I sell off the young every year. At one stage a few months ago I had eleven peafowl (not including the newly hatched chicks) wandering around. I find four mature birds plus young more manageable.

To be fair though, I find these birds no trouble at all. They are extremely tame (although they do tend to disappear into the garden when we have visitors), very entertaining (they love to play tag in the long grass or the native garden), a source of wonderful feathers for visiting friends of my children and you never get sick of the males striding across the lawn just outside the picture windows of the family room. Yes, they can be noisy during the breeding season but that only lasts a couple of months but, then again, I currently have about 75 (or so) crowing roosters in the yard. They can also be hard on the fege garden when the grass starts to dry off and there's always the occasional crap on the verandah where they have been lovingly gazing at their reflections. Oh, yes, it also doesn't pay to leave a door to the house open!

David

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:09 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Just got this email from a brother in Coffs Harbour:

Quote:
The peacock is driving us mad. I cant plant any seeds because he digs them up when they shoot. So I made several large pots with petunias, and other flowering plants but he eats all the leaves and sits on the pots to rest. I'm a nervous wreck because I .....

Any guidance on how to get rid of a peacock or is anyone in the Coffs area wanting one.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:20 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

my peafowl are wild, and will fight when with with roosters.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:44 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

I'm going to move this thread to: Turkeys, Guineafowl, Peafowl, Quail, Pheasants and Others now that we have modified the title to include Peafowl & Pheasants. :)