Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - The Adventures of Winglet & The Bantam Menace

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:30 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100 ... 143  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:07 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Domestica wrote:
How is potential mama Tia?

Tia's back with the main flock, with no sign of broodiness whatsoever.

Parsnip or Onion (I haven't bothered to have a close look to work out which one) is broody instead, having taken control of one half of the communal nestbox.

Mabel is not as quickly distinguished from the other black Australorp bantam hens at the moment... her crop looking not much to worry about... for now (knock wood). Her comb is a giveaway, as it is for me to identify MyShell easily from the others.

Julia & Pauline (for whom I'm going to look for another name, as Pauline isn't sticking) are very content in their quarantine quarters. Nibbling at grass, watching the world go by, drinking their cool water, and avoiding the horrendous heat due to the location of their enclosure which allows them to be in deep shade from shortly before midday right to sundown.

Post subject: Friday 15th March 2013
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:53 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Photo time....

Big Boy (not going to call him Kevin anymore)

Mabel - the one-legged crop dangler
The angle that this photo was taken at exaggerates the extent of her crop distension. She's started a moult, too.

Tomato - the very rare & elusive rumpless Leghorn bantam
Losing all your tail feathers mid-moult makes you look like a new breed.

Julia - yes, I know her legs are not a great yellow... I wanted her for her incredible burgundy feathers & love that she has multi-coloured legs, with both brown & pale yellow scales.

Kitten - as Pauline wasn't sticking. I figure we have a rabbit called puppy, so why not a chook called kitten? That was secondary to considering naming her after a movie sex kitten, and the generic 'Kitten' seemed to suit.

The girls - Jellymould on the left & her mother, Puppy, on the right

The boys - Marilyn on the left & Harvey on the right

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:58 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Thanks for sharing! Lovely new additions to the family. Big boy is a good looking fella! :thumbs:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:11 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Great photos as always Winglet - what's your secret? :) Patience, lessons, super dooper camera? I am jealous!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:20 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

TookTook wrote:
Great photos as always Winglet - what's your secret? :) Patience, lessons, super dooper camera? I am jealous!!

Patience... at least a bit.

Lessons... only in patience.

Super dooper camera.... yes... one with an image stabiliser that helps allow for you not holding the camera perfectly still, and has a rapid startup, and rapid focusing, amongst other things. Plus, big enough to handle comfortably without me feeling like I'm dealing with a thimble !

Also....

Tripod... so that whenever I can I have the camera in contact with a solid, still surface via the tripod or my arm... helps to keep the camera still (especially as I get older & less patient).

Photo editing software... and the willingness to play with the software to crop & straighten photos, as well as to adjust brightness, sharpness, and a myriad of other things (if I feel the need).

MOSTLY... it's taking lots & lots of photos, and deleting all the ones that are completely useless (blurred chook heads, for eg) without a second thought.

Post subject: Saturday 16th March 2013
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:47 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Tia's dead.

We found her underneath the coop. Cold. Rigor mortis has set in.

Meat on her breast. No signs of lice, mites, attack by predators. Eyes clear. Nostrils clear.

Just lying there. As if she was dustbathing, but her head down made me take a second look.

Her head lay on the ground, on one side, with eyes closed & beak only open a tiny bit. Just enough to pick up a piece of crumble to eat.

I brushed some dirt out from under one wing with my hand, and it dropped off her feathers easily.

I picked some dried grass & dirt off the side of her face that was on the earth.

It's as if she was dustbathing & then just died.

Her feet & legs are behind her, not stretched a long way, but as they are pushed back when they do a wing stretch with one leg in unison.

The other chooks were spending a lot of time under the coop, and that's the only reason I took a close look under there.

She's in the freezer.

Beanpole put them to bed last night & thinks he saw Tia then.

This morning when he let them out he doesn't recall if he saw her or not.

R.I.P. The Ninja d'Uccle.
Without you our lives would not have been the same.
We will miss your distinctive eagle-like calls.
We will miss watching your beautiful mottled self waddle across the grass.
We will miss your pretty feathered feet.
We will miss the sight of you scolding cockerels many times your size.
We will always remember your Ninja moves against the randiest of cockerels who thought they could make you submit to their will.
We will always remember your spunk, your calmness, your character.
R.I.P. The Ninja d'Uccle.
On second thoughts, don't rest in peace.
Give 'em hell !

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:27 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Oh Tia - I am so sad at your passing too. What a gal. She was such a little character and a battler ! I remember the care you took with her eye infection and got her through a bout of it more than once. Definitely a fighter. One spunky chook in every sense of the word!

:hug

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:25 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Oh no... so sorry to hear that :hug

RIP Tia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:17 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Another hug.... :hug

You can read more on my blog here! www.domestica.com.au

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:07 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Oh, such sad news.

I'm so sad to hear this. At least she had such loving parents.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:38 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

:hug RIP Tia.

Post subject: Sunday 17th March 2013
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:26 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

Yesterday I went through photos I'd taken on Friday after work, as I was outside snapping away for the first time in ages. Hence the photos of Big Boy et al. I wanted to see if Tia was in any of them, as I couldn't remember seeing her on Friday evening, thinking back. Sure enough, she wasn't in any of the photos of flock antics, when the usual gang are all in my face trying to guilt me into providing them with tasty titbits, or Elwood asking me to flick bricks over for her hunting pleasure. I then looked for any photos of the area under the coop and, sure enough, there is one of the steps into the coop, and the area under the coop as you look through the treads. Tomato is the subject, and I can see Tia under the coop, in the same position as I found her. So Beanpole must have been mistaken when he thought he saw Tia on the roost Friday night, as she was dead on Friday when I was taking photos... or, at the minimum, very close to death. Looking at the photo, I'm quite certain she was dead.

Not the best photo, but it's the last I have of her.

I took all of the chooks into the bathroom today, to check each one over carefully for signs of anything untoward. I wormed them all, and washed several, thinking that some may have lice. Only one had any eggs on the feather shafts near their cloaca, and even then they appeared to be very few. I pulled those feathers out. After washing several of them & discovering nothing out of the ordinary, I didn't wash the remainder. Those that were washed were blowdried thoroughly (to the enjoyment of some & disgust of others). All were reasonably meaty, with some of the Australorp hens feeling almost overweight ! The only hens with any remote indication of not being at a robust weight are those in heavy moult, and even those are okay, just not quite as fullbreasted as usual, as I'd expect whilst they're moulting. Combs on most were bright red & upright, with wattles the same colour & healthily full. Even Mabel is heavier than she's been in a while, with no signs of a bony keel at all. A number are moulting, some excessively so. Perhaps I should have taken photos of poor Tomato, who looks & feels like a hedgehog. As Mr Winglet put her outside after her ordeal of syringed liquid down her throat & a wash, she shed more feathers into his hands before turning to give him a dirty look. I hadn't realised how much she'd been shedding feathers until I was blowdrying her, when there were hardly any unfurled feathers on her belly & chest & I was mostly drying bare skin & pinfeathers.

The only indication of anything unusual was some bare patches, with neither feathers nor pinfeathers, around some cloacas. No redness as there was when I'd found them with lice previously & discovered, at the same time, that there were red mites in the coop. No patchy darker red angry looking areas as there were at that time, though. All the same even pink of the rest of their skin. I'm hoping that the bare patches are from when I last dealt with a heavy lice infestation a while back, where I removed many feathers from some of the hens when I couldn't get the lice eggs off with my fingernails under running water. It appears, from memory, to be the same hens with bare patches that I removed the feathers from before dipping them in a permethrin based solution. In case I'm wrong, I'm going to fleabomb the main coop as a precaution within the week.

The most notable thing during the whole event was hearing Blueberry let out her eerie banshee squeal as I caught her in the coop.

Hoping this next bit of information won't jinx me by sharing.... Big Boy was thought to have tried crowing recently, according to Mr Winglet. I've not heard him ever, not even a peep. He's 18 weeks old now, and well past the time that we'd normally hear the lads trying their voice out. He's still hanging out with his two sisters, Peg & Meg, and behaving in a completely non-sexual way. Cross fingers that the lack of crowing continues for a long time to come !

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:31 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Very sorry to hear about Tia, WInglet -it's always the good ones and characters that seem to go. The health of well being of chooks seems to be a bit of a mystery at the best of times. I try not to get too attached to any of mine these days just in case.

I have a Wyandotte cockerel who's 5 months old now and not a peep has he made. It is so lucky because we are in the 'burbs of Sydney at the moment and our house goes on the market Easter weekend. When it sells the chooks can move to our "farm" in Berry and he can crow to his hearts content. It is so close to D Day that I won't even have to worry if he crows now, everyone knows we're going so only the psycho neighbours would complain.

Maybe you will have a silent cockerel :laughing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:04 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

greenfumb wrote:
Maybe you will have a silent cockerel :laughing

A fortune shall be made if I do !! :rofl:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:42 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Yes, I would love to have a silent rooster. I actually gave one away years ago, to a friend who wanted a cuckoo pekin.

He was very happy with him, and named him Lawrence. This friend also had other roosters and said although there wasn't any contact with the other roosters and Lawrence, when Lawrence came he was the dominant rooster and everyone stopped crowing. This friend also said that he only heard Lawrence crow once, when he arrived.
Lawrence lived happily with his harem for a year, before he died of CRD. Upon his passing, the other roosters resumed their crowing...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100 ... 143  Next