Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - The Adventures of Winglet & The Bantam Menace

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:31 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125 ... 143  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:49 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Thats great to hear Elwood is on the way to recovery ; when i first joined here i read through your chooken adventures and thought Elwood was a beautiful bird from the pictures posted - all the best for her :hug

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:54 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Thanks angelcake. :th

She is still very beautiful, and I shall take many more photos of her when she's home, I expect, to prove it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:19 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Oh and have a very Happy Birthday today :blns

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:05 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

Happy Birthday Winglet!
:clnava

Last edited by grabby on Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:58 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Thanks for the birthday wishes. :th

We arrived at the vet clinic this morning ready to collect Elwood, pretty much on the dot of 10:00am, when our appointment was booked. As I opened the door to enter the building, I could hear Elwood in another room, chatting to someone & sounding frustrated. Not excessively so, more a sort of "Let me out of here" frustration than anything else, methinks. It didn't last long, but for a chook that doesn't often vocalise at home it was. Having heard her bagurk on arrival, and as Corrie advised me on the phone on Monday morning about Elwood's chattiness, I commented to Mr Winglet that I expect she's been annoying them with her chattering more than even an aggravated parrot might. One of the receptionists / nurses (?) chimed in that Elwood had indeed been vocal throughout her stay. The staff member was clearly trying to avoid sounding peeved by it, but a little tone of not being displeased to see said chook head home couldn't help but slip out. I don't blame her, considering the tone of Elwood's bagurk, and I'd only heard it the once.

Before long Corrie appeared & fetched the fetching Elwood, carrying her into a consultation room with us following behind (Corrie carrying Elwood, not the chook carrying the vet). As Elwood was placed on the table, another slightly frustrated sounding bagurk was emitted, with quieter but equally frustrated noises emitted regularly for the next 10 minutes.

Elwood's back end is a thousand times improved, and Corrie is pleased with how quickly her poos firmed up after starting her on antibiotics on Saturday. We continue the course of antibiotics (Enrofloxacin & Metrogyl / metronidazole) until finished, in about five days. The drips are cleared up, although still more improvement to come to have her pooing completely normal again. The skin infection externally is no longer visible which is great. Paw paw ointment is to be applied daily to provide a barrier against her poos sticking to the skin after each daily clean, too. So all is looking great.

In the consult room Corrie said that Elwood had been making it clear to everyone there that she's a free range chook & that being caged up was completely unacceptable to her. We were of the same opinion that as annoying as it might be, a noisy chook from chattering due to wanting to go home is preferable to a completely quiet one. I had opened Elwood's carrier at this point, into which I'd put some freshly picked clover-like shoots from the nature strip just before we collected her, as I know how much she enjoys them. As she spotted the little bunch of greens just inside the open door, she made a bee-line for them & gobbled several with more gusto than I think I've ever seen. She did eat in the clinic, but not as much as Corrie would have liked however she put that down to Elwood being in a new place with different food to usual & her not being outdoors as she might normally be. She wasn't worried about her & said that if she has a chook in there that seems to have lost interest in life she will take it outside to put it on some grass or in the garden which can perk it up enough to get it interested in life again, especially if it likes to eat grass. I don't recall ever seeing Elwood so happy as she was as she attacked that greenery.

By the time we returned her to the car, a distance of less than 30 metres, she had comfortably settled down for the drive home, laying down looking out at us & eating the feed I'd put in there. Part way back we stopped to get the paw paw ointment, and on the smoothness of the tollway roads she stood up & started enthusiastically scratching through the fresh wood shavings to look for more food. She was putting far more effort into the joy of scratching than into looking for anything to eat, and obviously using an excuse to get her legs moving again.

Once home I released her outside (having left the flock inside the coop this morning) to allow her to roam around as she pleased whilst I prepared something for her to tuck into. A couple of tins of chunky tuna in spring water later, with avtycoon's spice blend mixed in, and Elwood was most pleased with my offering. I allowed her to take several chunks & then let just two of the main flock out, MyShell (her second in command & close sister in breeding & relationship) & Audrey (our little barbu d'Anver) who managed to fly out over my head before I closed the coop door. The plan was to see if I could have Elwood safely & smoothly reintegrate after four full days away with just small number of familiar faces to deal with first, and if that went well to gradually increase the number of her flock for her to deal with.

The following ensued:- MyShell met Elwood at the treat bowl, and MyShell took a large chunk of tuna from it, some of which dropped to the ground. Elwood sidled confidently towards MyShell & the dropped tuna, at which MyShell gracefully moved aside as usual & Elwood took ownership of the piece of fish at her feet. It was a deliberate move that showed clearly both Elwood & MyShell were very content to be back to their usual positions in the flock, despite Elwood's absence. The two followed that up with a short chase of Audrey, just for show, as the little hen raced off with a giant piece of tasty seafood that she'd taken (rightfully so) from the large bowl. Neither continued the chase for long, both breaking it off & returning to the bowl in unison. I felt privileged to watch them reassert their strong bond to each other, and you wouldn't have known that Elwood had been absent. Next I let Julia (Rhode Island Red bantam) & Tomato (buff Leghorn bantam) out, both of whom have quite different characters & both piglets, so a good test of whether they'd behave any differently towards their illustrious leader. I needn't have worried. As is their usual behaviour when the treat bowl has been filled, they raced to it & shoved their greedy heads in. Elwood stood her ground as the two hurtled headlong towards her & the bowl, and stood tall & proud, making herself appear larger, with MyShell by her side. The food in the bowl stopped them & Elwood chatted to MyShell, possibility along the lines of a slight laugh & comment along the lines of, "I don't know why I thought they'd have a go at me, what with that whopping great bowl of tuna there !" Elwood relaxed & returned to her normal stance, followed by her surveying her realm & its inhabitants as she's prone to do. I let the remainder of the flock out, and watched for a while as they went about their usual business, as if Elwood hadn't left at all.

After a short while inside the house I thought I'd do another check on Elwood, just to be sure I hadn't misread anything earlier. She was no longer near the treat bowl where some of the usual gang were still helping themselves. She wasn't near the entry to the coop, or inside it, where I thought she might be having a drink of water or a bit of food from the treadle feeder. I had a look towards the gate that goes to the front yard, and saw the most beautiful site. Elwood was having a full on dust bath in a well formed shallow in the dirt. She was rolling herself in the soil like a freshly washed dog rolls on grass. Nothing had stuck to her clean butt, as I saw it during her writhing & wriggling. I'll check on it through the day just to be sure. Again, it's so lovely to see her thoroughly enjoying herself after missing out on her usual routine for almost a week.

A great way to start my birthday. :wee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:04 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Winglet,

I must say it is simply a pleasure to read your updates.

I observe in fascination a worm move by peristaltic action through the freshly turned earth as I plant out my chilies. Grasping the Annelid I toss it to the waiting pack of beady-eyed vultures and watch the ensuing mayhem while laughing like a chook!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:39 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Milo wrote:
Winglet,

I must say it is simply a pleasure to read your updates.

Thanks Milo. :th

I ended up only checking on Elwood once more during the day just before she went to roost. Her backside wasn't looking too shabby & definitely not covered in dirt as I'd feared it might be at some point if she continued to take to poultry-style spa treatments. On returning home from dinner I toddled outside dutifully to tend to the requisite nightly nursing. The two medications went down her throat easily, and she didn't resist too much to the handling & unpleasantness of the task. I then scooped her up under one arm, with torch in the other, and brought her inside for the first of her daily home-style bottom baths.

It will sound quite odd, I'm sure, however it was a pleasure to clean her butt area this evening due to the phenomenal improvement in the condition of her skin, the consistency of her droppings, and the absence of a build up of liquid evacuate under her cloaca. She was in better spirits about the event than she was the last time I took to her back end in the bathroom, no doubt due to less discomfort & a far shorter time spent poking about her private area. A very soft nail brush & some warm to hot running water to dip it in were enough to shine her behind in just a few seconds. There was so little water involved that a few dabs with some cotton wool balls dried the area completely, at which point I pondered how to apply the paw paw ointment. :hmmm:

I washed my hands, opened the tube of ointment, squeezed out a decent length of the stuff, and used my finger to apply it carefully, quickly, and with the minimum of fuss. Elwood was very well behaved, and although I'm quite certain I saw a disconcerted look upon her face at one point during this strange activity, she seemed accepting of the need for some indignity as a trade off for her skin to remain infection free. Rather than tucking her under my arm or collecting her up with one hand under her belly with fingers either side of her legs, I had her step onto my dressing-gown covered forearm, so that her trip back through the house & into the coop would provide her more dignity. Once alighted I moved her towards my body so that she could lean upon me for additional balance if required. We seemed to share a moment together, an understanding that this undignified task was a necessary one but that neither of us would make it more than it need be... just some personal hygiene assistance from one friend to another which we will forget the details of once the week is over, and will remember the trust we've forged with each other instead.

I shone the torch into the coop as I allowed her to gently step down onto the litter. At first I'd planned to put her back on the same roost that I'd taken her from, but the thought crossed my mind that having her in control of her return would do her some good after our intimate encounter. I kept the torch on so that she could take her pick of roosting spots. She flew up to a large gap on one of the sawhorses, where she did some minor grooming of her feet, softly & gently spoke to some of the hens closest to her, and then settled down for the night.

Our benevolent leader is back.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:28 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Happy Birthday Winglet :woot:
How lovely she's better.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:02 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

What a lovely update.

Happy birthday too

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:34 am 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

Happy Birthday Winglet, so glad to hear of Elwood's recovery!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:56 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Thanks Bronze, mixed bunch & shairlyn. :th

I've located a sequence of photos tonight (on my camera, as it happens... I can't for the life of me figure out how they got there :whist ) of a chook with remarkably similar colouring to Elwood, perhaps also a bantam blue Australorp, that seems to have an identical issue with her behind & has had the same bottom bath process done to her. Obviously I don't want to betray Elwood's trust by showing photos of her particular situation on the internet, but I'll upload photos of this other random chook to show what Elwood is also going through. :whist

I've also taken several photos of Elwood tonight from various directions, to show just how invisible her personal issue is in the normal course of the day. Plus some of more of her gorgeous self as she returned to the coop this evening after I did the daily doings to her derriere. They include photos of the rest of the flock, too. I'm just waiting on batteries to recharge before transferring photos from camera to computer etc.

Photos are now in the Gallery, but as it's 1:00am I'm off to bed so will add in links etc to show the photos when I get home tomorrow night... except for a couple of Elwood, just to go on with... first one taken before I cleaned her back end tonight. Her primaries are misaligned in that photo only because as she hopped off my arm in the bathroom she flapped her wings a little for balance, and knocked them in the process. Second photo, with primaries back in their usual position, is Elwood returned to the coop after her evening spa.

I'll add names of all the hens from left to right tomorrow night when I'm next online, and once I've linked in the other two flock photos that I uploaded, which includes the entire flock between the two photos.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:25 am 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

Elwood looks magnificent! You'd never know there was anything wrong with her health.

In fact, all your birds look fantastic. Kudos to you for keeping such a lovely flock in such good health.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:57 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Cheers shairlyn (although a good flash at that time of night does help !).

From left to right:
Sawhorse 1: Ruby (black Australorp bantam), Macey (Marans X Barnevelder), Tomato (buff Leghorn bantam), Parsnip (white Leghorn bantam), Conchita (Araucana)
Sawhorse 2: Camilla (splash Australian Langshan bantam), Elwood (our benevolent leader), Lolita (blue Australian Langshan bantam), MyShell (black Australorp bantam)
Sawhorse 3: Audrey (barbu d'Anver), Ronnie (Silkie), blue Australian Langshan bantam, Carlotta (blue Araucana), Majak (Pekin).

From left to right:
Sawhorse 3 again: Audrey (barbu d'Anver), Ronnie (Silkie), Beaker (blue Australian Langshan bantam), Carlotta (blue Araucana), Majak (Pekin).
Sawhorse 4: Blueberry (our banshee blue Leghorn bantam), Wendy (black Leghorn bantam), Julia (Gillard) (Rhode Island Red bantam)

Last edited by Winglet on Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:28 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

For those brave enough to see that "other" chook (**cough cough**) the thread with photos is at: http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8032489

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:02 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Yay a thousand times over for Elwood - what a trooper! So glad she has been given an all clear! She is an iconic bird for me on this forum as she has been here from day one of my BYP adventure along of course with the rest of the Bantam Menace.

We have all enjoyed Elwood and the Menaces' adventures and I am sure I speak for many when I say hey yay Elwoood!

:thumbs:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125 ... 143  Next