Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Dumb question - What time do chickens usually lay eggs?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:55 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:16 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I am trying to figure out a routine for when I go back to work in a month and after reading about egg eating and the importance of collecting them as soon as possible after they are laid, I am wondering if there is a 'normal' time to lay - eg daybreak?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:21 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

The egg laying cycle is not 24 hours, so each individual hen will lay her egg at a slightly different time every day....no way u can get into a strict "routine", cheers pam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:21 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

There is no set time to lay, chooks dont have a 24 hour cycle, so the time of day will vary.

J

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:32 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

With my limited three hens and two laying boxes it has varied. Anytime between first light and 9.30am most of the time in the year I've had them. There's the occasional one in the afternoon, but that's rare. I think in a larger flock with more hens sharing boxes you'd get a bigger variation.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:41 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

If only it were that simple. I've had eggs laid at first light and as late as 5.30 in the arvo. I would not try to collect them as soon as they are laid, or I'll be hanging around the nesting box all day.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:46 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

pjh wrote:
The egg laying cycle is not 24 hours, so each individual hen will lay her egg at a slightly different time every day....no way u can get into a strict "routine", cheers pam

Thanks everyone for the quick replies! Oh well, I will start the routine by checking at 6.00am, hubby at 7.30am, then checked again at 5.00pm. If I have problems hubby will just have to make me a roll away nesting box. :nail: Then when they start laying I will figure out the best times for our chickens - it is only for 3 out of 7 days luckily :hmmm:

I wonder if they get into their own little routine and each lay around the same time each day?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:07 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

It is not possible for them to lay at around the same time each day. If I am not mistaken, each chook lays an egg on a cycle of around 26 to 30 hours (I might be very wrong here). So the time she lay cannot possibly be the same each day. It is only possible if her laying cycle is 24 hours.

But isn't it more fun not knowing when they lay and finding the odd surprise at different times of the day. My son used to love checking the nesting box for eggs. He would do it a few times a day and get so excited when he does find an egg in the box.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:09 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

The egg cycle takes approx 26 hours. So if one of your hens lays at about 9am today she will most likely lay about 11am the next day and 1pm the day after that and so on. But it also depends on the age of your chook and they dont lay at night. So as others have said there is no real set time or routine to it.

Hope this helps clear things up for you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:12 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

donna74 wrote:
I wonder if they get into their own little routine and each lay around the same time each day?

Hi Donna,

each chook has its individual laying cycle, e.g. 25, 26, 27 hours etc., which means that it's likely that they will lay at a slightly later time each day. One of my Australorps for example will lay at, say, 6am one day, then about 7am, 8am the next day etc. until she's reached about 4pm. Then she'll stop for a day and start again early the following morning. My other Australorp has a longer cycle (more hours between eggs), so the 'break day' comes along more quickly. I hope this makes sense!

No problem collecting eggs at the end of the day in my experience. I haven't experienced any egg eating or any other issues.

Cheers,
M

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:49 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Madchook wrote:
each chook has its individual laying cycle, e.g. 25, 26, 27 hours etc., which means that it's likely that they will lay at a slightly later time each day. One of my Australorps for example will lay at, say, 6am one day, then about 7am, 8am the next day etc. until she's reached about 4pm. Then she'll stop for a day and start again early the following morning. My other Australorp has a longer cycle (more hours between eggs), so the 'break day' comes along more quickly. I hope this makes sense!

No problem collecting eggs at the end of the day in my experience. I haven't experienced any egg eating or any other issues.

Cheers,
M

Ding, lightbulb is now switched on... the things you learn when you ask :oops:

I am sure my 3 1/2 year old will be checking very regularly when he is at home (as will mum and dad :mrgreen: ) ... was just a bit concerned about the three days when we aren't... had read a few horror stories and was wondering if I had to go and ask a neighbour or something :confused: :confused:

Thanks to everyone for explaining it for the dumb newbie! :thanks:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:20 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

If you are really worried about the eggs, a roll away nesting box would be the best item to have in your coop.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:29 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Egg eating also might never come up, so don't worry about it unless you have to.

I think the ISAs have a quicker cycle because mine do lay at approx the same time in the same order for long periods of time. Then something will switch and it will be 2 hours later or skip a day or something.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:06 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

My lot can be pretty erratic too. I try to only check the nest if I happen to be passing. Have occasionally upset the odd hen by poking my nose in while they are busy, and if they are upset, the rooster gets upset too and the whole neighbourhood gets to know about it, lol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:05 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

hillbilly girl wrote:
Have occasionally upset the odd hen by poking my nose in while they are busy, and if they are upset, the rooster gets upset too and the whole neighbourhood gets to know about it, lol

You've interupted their private moment. :rofl:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:08 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Between 10 and 12 here, except from one who lays late in the evening. I think her internal clock is set wrong.