Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Dogs and Chooks - Picture show - please add

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:14 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:36 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Quote:
Nostress..I lOVE the look on your chooks face..what a classic..pmsl...

and the second doggy, the border collie x behind the chook..gorgeous..lol..

I love that pic too. Especially, because I tried so hard NOT to have im right in front of the lens - but he always was quicker, somehow :biggrin:
lotsakids wrote:
and the second doggy, the border collie x behind the chook..gorgeous..lol..

Actually, he's a Boxer X. No Border Collie at all. We adopted him as his former owners didn't want to keep him anymore. He was in a terrible condition and they were even thinking about putting him down. With a bit of TLC he recovered fully and now he is a very lovely and loyal dog. He's a dearly loved family member.

Quote:
when i get my fences up i'll be off to the rspca to have a look at what they have in the way of chook friendly dogs.

When we got Lucy, our first dog (she's the white one) from the RSPCA, we didn't really know how to find the right dog as we never owned a dog before. We wanted a dog that would be vicious enough to protect our flock from the fox that had killed one of our chooks, earlier. But on the other hand we wanted the dog gentle enough that it wouldn't harm our birds. Staff members didn't really know what to recommend. Then we saw Lucy and instantly fell in love with her. Despite being some hound X and having a fair bit of a killer instinct when it comes to rabbits or cats that don't belong to our family, she has the most gentle nature when it comes to our chooks, ducks and cats. We love her to bits

Quote:
we do have a devon rex cat who goes to extraordinary lengths to get and eat my day old chickens though...sigh...

What a shame. Can't you lock your little ones away, so the cat can't get them? We have our cats in the chook pen to catch the mice. But when there are chicks, the cats have to stay in the shed until the chicks go to bed. After that I let them out during the night to chase mice.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:50 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I do have the chicks locked away but she has chewed through wire to get to them on the odd occasion that the kids leave the door open or she sneaks in unnoticed....I now keep the chicks in the laundry for a few days until they are big enough to go into the big brooder outside...she hasnt managed to get into that one yet..touch wood..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:09 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I can't contribute any photos to this topic as we don't have a dog, we actually only have the bantams :shock: just wanted to say that I'm loving the photos in here. :thanks: for sharing :thumbs:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:34 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

lotsakids wrote:
I do have the chicks locked away but she has chewed through wire to get to them

Gee, she must be a feral thing! :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:34 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

she is the sweetest little thing, weighs 2kg ringing wet, and was a rescue kitty with a beautiful nature...
..had never been outside in her life until she came to me. BUT the first time I let her out she went out the front door and leapt into the air and caught a sparrow on the fly..and came straight back inside.

ANy mice around dont stand a chance..she is a tenacious hunter...unfortunately the chicks she sees as captive game, and its a challenge for her to work out how best to get to them. I just have to keep a good eye out and make sure that they are well locked up away from her.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:10 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

We now have a new dog, technically it's my son's that my father in law
Quote:
(every little boy should have dog!)
got him after his cat was eaten by a snake.
His name is 'Bluey', his mum is a blue mearle coolie and dad is a black kelpie, he has two different coloured eyes. Bluey is only 7mths old and was happy to investigate the chickens as he follows my son around through the pens and chickens until a little bantam gave him a touch up the other day and now he is a bit uneasy around them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:43 am 
well this is my new guard dog having her first meeting with the chooks:

as soon as she knows chooks are not to be killed i will introduce her to rats and mice. i introduced her to her first snake the other day but other than a sniff she was not interested. i had to relocate the snake as not only had it started on eating chickens it would have enjoyed puppy too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:45 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

learnerchook, bluie is gorgeous! look at his colouring, he's almost a reverse sussex... :biggrin:

ruff, for a second i thought your puppy was a wallaby, just the angle of the pic i guess ... :bolt: Your chooks must seem like monsters to her :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:42 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

This is a pic taken about a year ago at my mum's place. My dog and his brother fell asleep on my feet while I was feeding the chooks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:38 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

my dog and my pekins get along really well, they are not phased by him at all, and in fact at times there are traffic jams when he tries to move through the chookens (they expect him to go around them lol.)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:38 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

casscat wrote:
ruff, for a second i thought your puppy was a wallaby, just the angle of the pic i guess ... :bolt: Your chooks must seem like monsters to her :shock:

Yeah me too! I thought I was seeing a wallaby!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:47 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

She is now gaurding my budgies, lorrikeets and ringnecks and sometimes the chickens lol. She IS a lovely dog she didnt bond to my chooks as well, probably because most of mine stay in breeding pens this time of year so she isnt in contact as much. She spends the night on the back deck now monitoring the place from up high and we do the rounds in the morning together, and we check all the chooks. Once the new internal fences are finished she will be out more but on smaller acres we have to have her not to far from the house so we can quiet her and go out and check if she starts up barking madly. She loves basically EVERYTHING and could pass as the worlds second biggest lap dog
after King my great dane. I am sure I will get another one or 2 at some point. I'll get some pics of her soon.

Heijo wrote:
I know...this sort of dog is supposed to be nice to chooks...just had to share her devotion to her charges

Hope to get some video of her "working", she hunts out the white leghorn cockerel that insists on jumping the fence
its like watching the Road Runner and the big white Coyote...lol

sorry about the quality of the pic, but was taken on the phone

Heidi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:05 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

This was Mini, he was special. I lost him last year when he squeezed through the side fence and got hit by a car. I still haven't got over it. He was the sweetest most gentle little dog ever.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:19 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Few weeks old now but I thought it was cute. Laura is a 10 yr old English Mastiff and spends a lot of her time these days just chilling out on bean bags. God forbid anyone sit on them when she's around, the glares and huffs she produces are really funny. She has problems with her hips, so we don't push her to do anything.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:35 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Here is my dog Bruce. He is salivating and licking the study window which looks directly into the chicken coop.
I took this shot standing beside the chookhouse.
If you think all dogs get along with chooks, then here is one who is preparing for his next meal.....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next