Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - What age do spurs start growing?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:18 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:51 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Now that I have acquired myself a nice young rooster I thought I had best starting getting educated on them.

I have done a bit of a search through previous posts but cannot find information about what age a rooster starts to grow spurs.

I have noticed a small slight nobbly bit just above (and a bit to the side on his leg) his back toes but then again I have noticed these on my hens.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:57 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Both roosters and hen grow spurs. Roosters tend to grow them at a much younger age and the spurs tend to be much bigger. Hens would develop spurs at a much older age. Mine are deveoping them in their second year and the spur itself is smaller.

As for when a rooster would start developing the spur, I think that is totally up to the rooster. I think it starts when he reaches maturity. I am still learning, I think a rooster reaches maturity when he starts crowing, asserting his authourity and claiming his space and girls.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:59 pm 
Golden Magpie
Golden Magpie

Hi

Varies from rooster to rooster and from breed to breed but mostly you dont see anything, bar the bumps, until they are ointo their second year and then one day suddenly they have spurs. They do continue to grow all their lives and on some roosters you need to trim the back because not only do they get quite sharp they become long enough to cause the rooster some walking disabilities.

They can also do damage to hens given that rooster amorosities are never romantic affairs - more a get what you can when you can.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:14 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Thanks,

So no need to rush out and buy some clippers yet eh?

chookyperth wrote:
They can also do damage to hens given that rooster amorosities are never romantic affairs - more a get what you can when you can.

Sounds like some fella's I know but at least the rooster doesn't have to buy flowers, be romantic, wine and dine etc! :rofl:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:19 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Not sure about other breeds but my Orps Cockerels are starting to develop well and truly by the 6 month mark, by 12 months they are about an inch long at least, maybe my guys are just spastic but I thought that was pretty normal :confused: :lol: