Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - "Intensive poultry production good for the environment"

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:46 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:25 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Chicory wrote:
We don't have TV.

Stunned silence.

I'll say it again .......We don't have TV.
You know - sometimes I wish we did, so we could see some of these dreadful ads, and pass comment on them.

What...!! You mean................. You have to............................... Talk with each other.....???

:aaargh:

Nath..

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:56 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Chicory wrote:
We don't have TV.

Was this a conscious choice made, or did your TV break down and never get fixed?

I'm 80% sure that we are on our last TV. We average 1.5 hours of viewing each week.... down from that much each evening 8 years ago.

"Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?" - George W Bush

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:23 am 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

I think you have mentioned not owning a tv previously... and you stated your very valid reasons. :thumbs:
I however think there is so much information about whats going on in the world, programs that are educational, cultural and entertaining, and along with the internet i think its an important part of life. But you have to sift thru 90% rubbish to find the good stuff :geek:

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:09 am 
We use the internet, and the Age newspaper (which goes into the garden) and ABC radio.
As I sit in front of the computer 1/2 my working life, it is easy to keep up. We DO have a TV, just no reception.
We watch 1/2 hour of comedy (on DVD) while we eat dinner :-)

Sorry - I am Waaaay off topic now.

Given that there was a topic about GM corn in chook food, I think it is time Australians got back into the red meat and supported our less intensive agricultural industries. Red meat isn't 1/2 bad for you if you don't char it on the BBQ. Just don't eat it in huge quantities. Slow cook it at lower temperatures, and leave some of the fat on. Fill out your meal with home grown organic vegies.
Saturated fats are making a big comeback soon. Just see if they don't!

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:25 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Now we're talking..! Sign me up for big chunks of crispy pig fat.... :yipee: :help: :bolt:

Nath..

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:53 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Great topic.

I think there is another way to think about all these side topics about intensive farming. Feed the world, feed the intensive farmed animals, feed the enviroment, feed or thrst for entertainment.

Most people in town or in the country want to be entertained. Food is just another part of that. All the variety we all expect on our dinner table has an effect on all produce. If it's fresh it won't last and most working people don't have the time or don't see the value of making something fresh to eat all the time. This is changing all the time and I think TV has alot to do with it. Cooking shows on TV are the most popular(entertainment) and there is a good reason for this, we have an endless amount of food available to us and we have a thirst for all thing that are new and exciting to try.

The environmental impact on intensive farming in Australia is almost nothing compared to other countries around the world but there will be an end to the farmer that isn't intouch with their consumers. It's the same in any business if you don't understand your market you can not be successful. It's about education for the farmer and education for the consumer.

I am one of the many that has a foot on both sides of the fence. Food must be fresh avalible and at a reasonable price. But I do raise poultry, not for eating(i do eat eggs and chickens) but for entertainment for myself my family and for any body else that wishes to enjoy them.

Farming is changing all the time the farmer has to change and the way farming is done must change with the times.

Daza

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:03 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

chook tragic wrote:
Chicory wrote:
We don't have TV.

What...!! You mean................. You have to............................... Talk with each other.....???

:aaargh:

Nath..

Crikey!!! :shock: :rofl: , I hope the O/H likes to talk about poultry :confused:
Daza wrote:
Great topic.

Cooking shows on TV are the most popular(entertainment) and there is a good reason for this, we have an endless amount of food available to us and we have a thirst for all things that are new and exciting to try. Daza

I totally Agree Daza :thumbs: and also goes for food too :lol: :wink:

Sustainable farming seems to be the way to go :thumbs:

Victoria

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:05 pm 
No - the O/H goes to work to make the money that pays for the poultry, and never complains about what I spend it on, so long as he doesn't have to do the dirty work.
He Luuurves the fresh cooked home grown chicken, and is totally into organic and home grown, so is happy about my impending almost retirement.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:13 am 
Daza wrote:
Most people in town or in the country want to be entertained. Food is just another part of that. All the variety we all expect on our dinner table has an effect on all produce. If it's fresh it won't last and most working people don't have the time or don't see the value of making something fresh to eat all the time. This is changing all the time and I think TV has alot to do with it. Cooking shows on TV are the most popular(entertainment) and there is a good reason for this, we have an endless amount of food available to us and we have a thirst for all thing that are new and exciting to try.

You make it sound like choice, and I don't believe that it is at all. We have certainly created this monster ourselves, but simply the fact that we are called "consumers" shows we have little choice. We eat at the global trough, and if we do manage to break the chain, then there is extremely little choice unless you produce it yourself, and even that is frought with problems, as the chemicals inflitrate one way or another. The choice I am talking about is the healthy choice, not the choice of what flavour, texture or colour we will have tonight on our plates.
The lack of choice comes about by the fact that much of what you CAN buy in the way of processed foods is adulterated with salt, sugar, MSG just to name 3 of the things that are put there purely to make us want more. If Our craving bodies aren't enough to make us go and buy more, then TV will nudge us along. The food shows are more of the same and evidence that we are a nation obsessed with food. Obsessed why?

Daza wrote:
The environmental impact on intensive farming in Australia is almost nothing compared to other countries around the world but there will be an end to the farmer that isn't intouch with their consumers. It's the same in any business if you don't understand your market you can not be successful. It's about education for the farmer and education for the consumer.

Education of the farmer and consumer by whom? The food manufacturers who want us to keep spending our $$$$?

If I thought it was all a big conspiracy, I would be happy, as that would involve intelligent thought. But it all comes back to stupidity, and populations of people being led by the nose. Would a nation of intelligent people choose to be obese, hypertensive and diabetic?
But we continue to brighten the colour of our day.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:49 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I will put it another way.
Regarding GM foods, the biggest pesticide companies in the world are also the biggest pharmaceutical companies. They have a vested interest in keeping us using their products, so there is a lot of misleading information. If a farmer can produce a crop that doesn't use as much pesticide, obviously these companies will do everthing they can to change public perception.
I have a brother that is a very large sugar producer in Bowen. Even though he and his partner are 3 generation farmers, they have not been allowed to get full market price for their sugar cane(2nd bin price only after taking the sugar board to court). So 2 years ago they have started growing sugar cane in Brazil(bit of a shame :roll: ). In brazil they are planting 40,000 hectars of GM cane, so they don't use as much pesticide.
This is just 2 farmers, making a living for their families. The crop is infused with a pest resistant organic compond, so some bugs won't eat it. It does not and can not change the sugar in any way.

Choice is all we do have. Eductation is also up to the individual. Freewill is out there you just have to look for it.

Daza

Last edited by Daza on Thu May 27, 2010 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:37 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Chicory wrote:
Given that there was a topic about GM corn in chook food, I think it is time Australians got back into the red meat and supported our less intensive agricultural industries. Red meat isn't 1/2 bad for you if you don't char it on the BBQ
\

... and make sure you buy beef or lamb that does NOT proudly market itself as "grain-fed", because that's feedlot beef and lamb which is intensive beef and sheep farming. Grains are not the same as grass and sheep and cattle aren't actually designed to eat vast quantities of grains. It makes them fart a lot, apparently; very wasteful (of energy and of pollutants into the air!).

I learnt this from The Land. The more I read of the rural publications, the more I'm convinced I'll only buy direct from the farmer (I have a lot of choice in that regard out here, lucky me), from the local butcher (which, for the beef and lamb, is the same thing - he raises and butchers his own :) ), or something that absolutely guarantees itself as "pasture-fed". Not "organic" - you can feed organic feed to intensively-farmed animals - not "free-range" because that term can be twisted as well. "Pasture-fed", from birth to death.

Should I sell my own eggs, I'll be labelling them "bush-ranged". (I just realised that's actually a bit of a jokey term ... I didn't mean it but I like it). My chooks will be roaming around in native shrubbery and mulch and small grassy clearings, because that's what I'm on. I'd like to see someone twist _that_ term into marketing guff.

And it's excellent for my environment (to bring this back on topic) because my land is older, overworked pasture, invaded by a monoculture of she-oak which, while returning nitrogen to the soil when it dies, also produces a lot of highly acid needles as mulch, and keeps the underlying soil very shallow.

The chooks will turn over the mulch and expose the soil and add to it with their droppings. They'll make it less acid and, eventually, deeper. Other native plants will start growing. More native birds such as choughs will join them and turn over more mulch.

Now that's permaculture :)

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:54 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

infoaddict wrote:
... and make sure you buy beef or lamb that does NOT proudly market itself as "grain-fed", .... ....
Not "organic" - you can feed organic feed to intensively-farmed animals - not "free-range" because that term can be twisted as well. "Pasture-fed", from birth to death.

Yes, I see all these labels around the supermarkets and wonder if, as they're cutting up a carcase of beef, they're putting some under this label, and some under the other, but all coming from the same animal. Who's to know, and does 'authority' check up on it anyway?

So, I'm thrilled to say that in the last couple of weeks I've found a couple of farmers who sell their own pasture grown beef and lamb at a nearby farmers' market. I realise that it's still no guarantee, but it's a damn sight better than trusting the supermarkets! Unfortunately it's on a Sunday, when I work, so I have to get someone to buy for me, but it's manageable.
infoaddict wrote:
Should I sell my own eggs, I'll be labelling them "bush-ranged". :)
That's clever Info, I really like it :D