Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - tethering out fowl

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:18 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: tethering out fowl
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:11 pm 
WARNING: in some states of AUSTRALIA this is illegal. please check before you are tempted to do this.

i have tethered out birds a number of times now with great success. i was wandering is anyone else has and i will explain to others how i have done it.

i have found it a great taming/training tool. i have used it with 3 year old sussex cocks that have never been handled. the birds have then been then exhibited as perfectly placid exhibition birds.

i have also used it to keep hens in pens that they could fly over looking for nests. one particular hen i tethered untill she was almost broody then allowed her freedom to brood and rear her chickens. so far she has not gone over the fece even though her chickens are going through.

i have used it to keep a rooster in his territory to prevent him racing off after other hens. his hens came and went at will and all their eggs were by him. the nests and sleeping quarters were within range of the roosters tether.

sometimes roosters loose heart when confined so being out on a tether keeps them happy and active. these roosters may curl up and die if confined or become susceptable to illness.

out on a tether a rooster can feel he is king of the world but not involved in fights. tethers provide free access to green grass and dust baths. it also trains them so you can walk up to your bird and pick it up....even when no longer thethered.

warnings on tethering: birds are vulnerable to roaming roosters which may fight him. birds can get tangled around things or tangled when flying up onto perches.

damage to legs can happen if tether is not checked and supervised. it is not suitable for large indian game roosters unless extreme supervision is used due to the vulnerablity of hip and joint damage.

i shackle both legs so i can rotate which leg is use. 2 cable ties i find ideal, one looped around the lower leg and the other looped through it. i use baling twine however ensure your knots do not come undone. also this should be checked regularly as it becomes twisted with time.

at first birds are not impressed but become used to it with time. i hold the twine when approaching the bird to prevent them panicing and getting away. i approch with treats and gentle talk. when i get to the bird i stroke it and talk to it and give them treats or food. the birds soon become used to this and will eventually come to you after regular training, different birds are different and depends on nature and any previous abuse.

closeup:

PS also great controlling hens with chickens. chickens run free and mum restricted

Last edited by ruff on Sun May 23, 2010 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: tethering out fowl
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:16 pm 
one happy chappy:

beats being locked in a pen where he was just hunched up and miserable. he gets locked up and night or when i am away. i have to be careful his dad does not fight him as his dad is wandering around the garden. his dad will hopefully learn to leave his son alone as this boy is one big active rooster who has a lot more growing to do and find out what he can do.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:25 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Great pictures ruff - how you do it is very clearly described! There was another thread on tethering a while back, I'll see if I can find the link. I believe tethering is illegal in some states, so check your state laws before you do it.

NellyG

Later: Here it is Poultry Tethers

Last edited by NellyG on Sun May 23, 2010 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:36 pm 
well i have no choice with this fellow as he will die locked up. and i can't let him out as he is speedy gonzallas and can fly.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:40 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

ruff just for your info the RSPCA will go after anyone has or is doing this all they need is one photo so you may want to take down the photos just so you don't get seen. if anyone from the RSPCA comes onto BYP and see this post you will get into a big mess i just wanted to tell you before its to late :oops:

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:50 pm 
well rspca has no brains then. my birds are healthy and treated with the up most care. time they went to some poultry shows or backyards if they are going to start getting picky.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:04 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

ruff wrote:
well rspca has no brains then. my birds are healthy and treated with the up most care. time they went to some poultry shows or backyards if they are going to start getting picky.
yes i know the RSPCA have no brains :roll: one year at a show the RSPCA fined lots of ppl at the show all over the chooks not havein food & water before the judge had started to judge the birds :shock: true story :roll:

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:07 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

It is illegal in NSW, I dont think it is in Queensland or South Australia.

http://kb.rspca.org.au/Can-I-tether-my- ... d_257.html

J

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:12 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

I think it is illegal in the NT too but as far as I am aware the other states are OK. I think the illegality has to do with the use of tethers by cock fighters, but it seems a bit dumb to me, because as ruff is using them it is a positive thing for the bird. But check your states laws.

NellyG

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:14 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Vic and NSW is illegal...trying to find Queensland

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/dpi/nreninf.n ... EA0027A730

J

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:15 pm 
will see what nellyG comes up with then i will take them down if illegal in QLD.

such fools these rspca people. time they did something about poor pigs and chooks in battery conditions before they go on like this. and assuming it is only people with cock fighting is rediculous as it is a very handy way of keeping ckls healthy and alert, beats a cage any day. would one rather see a dog in a cage or on a tether?

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:26 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

I can't see anything that says it IS illegal in Qld, but I can't see anything that says it isn't either! I woould expect it is OK as I think there would be something on the net if it wasn't acceptable there, but I am guessing here! :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:33 pm 
well i had better put up a warning:

WARNING!!! to all those who can see the benifits of this. it is illegal in some states of australia. please read some of the above comments.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:17 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Personally, I cant see a problem with it. I have seen pictures from some very prominent NSW breeders with all the roosters tethered out to dry in the sun while getting ready for shows. There is also a very good article in the article section from Granpa on how to make tethers for poultry, remembering he is in SA.

J

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:30 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

jocler wrote:
Vic and NSW is illegal...trying to find Queensland

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/dpi/nreninf.n ... EA0027A730

J

That is a "Code of Practice", which is not legislation.
I had a quick skim through the Prevention Of Cruelty to Animals Act and Regulations (victoria), and could only find references to RSPCA inspectors "inspecting" animals on a tether that they reasonably suspect to be showing signs of pain or suffering.