Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Breeder ration in Brisbane

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:17 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:30 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I own a produce store in Anstead, Brisbane and am trying to decide if I should stock a poultry breeder ration. I would like to gauge how many people would use a breeder ration if it was available at your local store.

I am not looking for a definite yes or no, just if it were in your local feed store would you use it??

I also can get duck breeder ration, grower ration and starter ration, if anyone is interested.

Thanks

Jason

Anstead QLD
Ph 07 32028818

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:34 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Personally, I prefer a breeder ration over a layer ration.

J

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:10 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Quote:
I would like to gauge how many people would use a breeder ration if it was available at your local store.

I am not looking for a definite yes or no, just if it were in your local feed store would you use it??

I also can get duck breeder ration, grower ration and starter ration, if anyone is interested.

I would use the specialized feed if my produce store would stock it. I think that your problem will be in convincing the local stores that there is a demand - mine won't even stock any grower feed. :roll:

I don't breed chooks, but have some hens for layers. I would be more interested in breeder rations for ducks. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:26 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Convincing the store won't be a problem, I own it.

Anstead QLD
Ph 07 32028818

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:45 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

If I were you I would make contact with your local poultry clubs and see if you can offer the members there discounts in return for a bit of promotion. They are the type of customers that would buy breeders ration. The average backyarder who's producing a few eggs for the table isn't going to buy it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:26 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

I am looking for something for my quails, do you stock any?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:47 pm 
Swan
Swan

It depends on your pricing, last time I looked in there it was a bit high, so I spend $100 or so a week on chookfeed from a different supplier!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:41 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Andrew, when was the last time you looked in the store? I only took over at Easter, and a lot of people tell me I am cheaper on most things than the other stores around.

jojochooks, What are you looking for for your quails, I don't stock anything especially for quail, but if you let me know I can look into it for you.

Anstead QLD
Ph 07 32028818

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:45 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

I'm looking for quail breeder as well, not so much anything to grow them on as Turkey starter does the job. Only prob with turkey food is I can't sell the eggs for consumption. I'm a little way from you being in mid brisbane valley but no one for miles keeps it in store (can testify that nothing around toowoomba stocks it either). I couldn't afford a pallet of the stuff but if you could do me (& jojo) a good deal on a few bags of the stuff, if would be well worth a trip for me.

Also what price do you sell Turkey Starter for. I can get it at Gatton for $19.50 20kg. I'm always fishing around for a better deal.

Actually I think I have been to your store last year... The ex went there for kitty litter. obviously before you took over. Am I correct that your not too far from ipswich? I may have to go to ipswich next week if I can find you I may come for a look!

As for breeder rations for the chooks and ducks, I mix my own. I think a lot (not all) breeders will do the same which is why there may not be a high demand for those products. I have around 100 birds and I'm just small beginning biccies... can you imagine the cost of feeding them by the bag. Once you start to exceed 30 birds, (which doesn't take long it really is costly.

Chicken 07 has a brillian idea, if no one else stocks the stuff and you can get your boot in the poultry clubs, you may be able to benefit from being a sole supplier in the district.

There's only a very fine eggshell between genius and insanity!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:15 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

See also viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7964291&hilit=duck+formulated+feed

I collected my order but the extra travelling and the go-between needing cash payment of well over $300 just for my order deterred me from ordering more. I wouldn't make a special trip to Brisbane to your store but if I was going to be in the area would probably make a detour and consider getting a supply if it were available at a reasonable price.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:47 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

In the Paddock wrote:
jojochooks, What are you looking for for your quails, I don't stock anything especially for quail, but if you let me know I can look into it for you.

Huney007 wrote:
I'm looking for quail breeder as well, not so much anything to grow them on as Turkey starter does the job. Only prob with turkey food is I can't sell the eggs for consumption. I'm a little way from you being in mid brisbane valley but no one for miles keeps it in store (can testify that nothing around toowoomba stocks it either). I couldn't afford a pallet of the stuff but if you could do me (& jojo) a good deal on a few bags of the stuff, if would be well worth a trip for me.

Yes please, I am looking for something that is not medicated with minimum protein level of 24%.. I have my quails for a while now and they are still not laying, I think it is due to the lack of protein in their current diet..

I think something for turkey or gamebirds would be good..

Thanks for looking into this for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:55 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

HI,

Lauke game breeder ration.

cheers

Chritian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:39 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

riverina also makes a quail layer/breeder feed.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:02 am 
Swan
Swan

I would find it better to feed my breeders a breeder type feed over a Layer Mix, Have found a Brand but people around here wont stock it.