Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - A guide to posting eggs: pictures!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:41 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:06 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Hiya all :-)

I've been posting eggs for a little while now, and have bought by post a few times... sometimes with success, sometimes not. Some I've received have been wrapped to survive a nuclear storm... others, I don't know why they bothered!

I know there are other "how to" posts on this, but I thought I would offer a step-by-step, with pics, of how I do mine.

I've never had them break when I do this, have had good hatch rates (barring incubation failure) and tested the packing in the backyard... like a football.

So for anyone new to posting eggs, that would like a cheap, quick, EASY method, that is mostly recycling, well here you go. Please feel free to ask questions if needed! Written instructions at bottom.

Please correct me if it looks like I'm doing anything wrong too, or you can see a way to improve. :D

Dunderi's steps to successfully posting eggs:

1) Label your collection cartons correctly!
2) Store eggs pointy end down. never collect eggs over a period of more than 5 days when posting.
3) Cut in half 4, JUMBO SIZE, flat top type cartons.
4) Individually wrap each egg well with tissue (I use approx 8 squares of 2 ply)
5) Place eggs point down in moulded part of carton. give a slight twist to secure nice and deep.
6) When all 12 are in, cut the "noses" off another moulded carton, to make a lid.
7) Place the lid on top, it will fit on the "noses" of the bottom. Make sure the flaps go opposite ways.
8 ) Place snuggly wrapped eggs in a plastic shopping bag, and secure tightly with tape. (I use standard electrical tape)
9) Now for the flat parts of your carton - put two bags to insulate, in the flat part, then sit your egg pack in it. repeat on top.
10) Again wrap bundle in bag, and secure with tape.
11) Again put two bags in a flat carton piece (your 3rd) and put egg pack SIDEWAYS in it. Repeat for other side.
12) Wrap in final plastic shopping bag, and secure welll with tape.
13) At the post office, buy a "small parcel" bubble wrap sleeve. 95c. fits perfectly. Weigh your parcel.
14) Parcel will fit in a 3kg Plastic Express Post Satchel ($11.70). use a NIKKO not a BIRO to write buyer's details, and yours, in clear, uppercase writing.
15) Keep the yellow tag. When you email your buyer, give them the tag number. This way they can track the parcel, and have proof it was sent.

extra notes:
I always try to send my eggs on a monday/tuesday, and will only send by express post. I charge $12 for posting a dozen eggs.
I'm a diary keeper... so I always keep a thorough record of what was posted, the yellow sticker, and where it went to on what day.
I don't put the package in the bin outisde the post office. I give it to the people inside - why? because post offices are airconditioned :-)
I've never had eggs break when I package them this way. Don't tempt nasty people by writing "fragile" on there. if it looks the same as everything else does, it won't get special attention... good or bad!
When I first posted eggs, I tested my intended method of packing (sans express post satchel) with a dozen 'eating' eggs, and kicked it around the yard... do the same!

*edited for spelling failure*

Barnevelders - Coronation/Light Sussex - Bronze Turkeys - Rhode Island Reds - Plymouth Rocks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:33 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Great post, the step by step it is well written, and the pictures help.

Do you use the plastic bags for any particular reason?? ie To contain the breakages if any happen, fingers crossed it doesn't happen now that I have mentioned it.

Ron (This may inspire me to think about selling some fertiles, by post!!)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:35 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Thanks for that, I was wondering what the best way is.
Very well explained.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:54 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Thanks guys :-)

I use bags for a few reasons.

-they're free with my groceries (bubble wrap is not)
-they're good way to 'hold everything together', in between stages of wrapping
-electrical tape sticks to them well (and you don't have to try and unstick anything from the cardboard at the receiving end, just scissor it open)
-and I find that two bags, lain side by side, with the bottoms at one end and the handles at the other, is just the right amount of insulation for each carton-top.

:-)

i know i've had eggs arrive packed with all sorts of things... styrofoam (messy) wood shavings (messy-er! and illegal if posting to Tassie) cotton wool (expensive) bean bag beans (extremely messy) bubble wrap (expensive)

people are usually happy to pay $40-$60+ for a dozen purebred, fertile eggs... depending on the breed of course. they also want good packing (so their chooks-to-be will arrive undamaged).

with the exception of the electrical tape, and the bubble-sleeve from the post office, this wrapping is just from things i always have in the pantry. god knows keeping chooks means everyone give me egg cartons, and the bags come with the weetbix and the laundry powder and everything else ;-)

I personally think that there is no reason for anyone posting eggs to try and charge more than maybe $15 for the postage of a dozen. considering the expresspost bag is $11.70 from any post office (look it up online even) and the time/materials is minimal really.

of course, it will differ for every buyer/seller/item... but if i sell you eggs, this is what you get i guess. i expect the same sort of protective packing when i buy.

in the past i've been asked to pay $20 for postage, that wasn't even registered post let alone express - on one dozen eggs! I think if someone's trying to rip me off for postage, chances are the eggs aren't going to be what they should either.

Barnevelders - Coronation/Light Sussex - Bronze Turkeys - Rhode Island Reds - Plymouth Rocks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:23 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Good post and thanks.

The only thing I would like to add is that out side of city to city and perhaps to major regional towns, is that express post is not treated any differently to ordinary mail and parcels in that they share common carriers and schedules. It then becomes a "non-express" service even though the extra charge. The only advantage is the tracking of the parcel on route.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:41 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

And I can attest to the fact that all 12 eggs arrived in perfect condition. My husband was having kittens about how the local post office banged the package on the counter when he went to pick them up but no casualties at all.

Morgs, once again a fantastic job!

Cheers,

S.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:08 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

tatts18 wrote:
And I can attest to the fact that all 12 eggs arrived in perfect condition. My husband was having kittens about how the local post office banged the package on the counter when he went to pick them up but no casualties at all.

:D yep those pics were your eggs (now they're famous, have to get autographs from the baby croads!) :D

always glad they arrive safe & sound :-) as said, the original testing in the backyard involved 16, 21 & 23 year old boys throwing it around the backyard for me... I figured if my boys didn't break it, then they'd be safe from anything shy of being intentionally jumped on.

As it was explained to me by the postie girls, although express post is not available to all centres, it still flies quicker between the majors... like 'priority' even if it doesn't make it the next day. being an internet shopping junkie, even when i was living in forest hill (no express post there) it was still quicker to go by express post, as it takes the fastest route where available (ie, plane rather than truck going state to state) and then the regular route with no other option.

so even if it doesn't come overnight.... that 'one extra day' in AP's custody can make all the difference, and in my opinion is worth it. I'm unsure on the cost difference as I've never asked for a quote on posting them without an EP bag... the twelve bucks to anywhere in australia, for anything up to 3kg, that you can stuff in that bag is an easy flat rate to remember. (I use them for anything I sell on ebay also). I will ask next week though when I go, just out of curiosity!

from perth to forest hill used to take a couple of days by express post (not overnight) but it used to take a solid week by regular mail, for parcels about this size (although usually not filled with eggs... usually a uni textbook, or shoes, back in my uni days). add in the advantages of the tracking/quantifiable proof of postage... for me it's a no-brainer.

if i'm buying eggs, i try to organise it the week before the monday/tuesday i'd like them sent, and have the payment all sorted over the weekend. I know when i sell eggs, i try to do the same, and get them to the post office monday before 10am.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:41 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

Im outside of the next day delivery zone, I had stickes on my parcels saying not guaranteed, but I got them next day anyway! I must be lucky eh!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:54 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Good post :thumbs: :thumbs:
I'm a long way off ever posting eggs but I do receive them from time to time.

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:33 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

express post does make a difference even when you are outside of designated delivery areas, its that speedy travel between say sydney and perth that makes all the difference inthe world. a parcel sent express can take up to a week to reach me, but if it is sent by ordinary mail, it will take about 10 days, and that difference is important to me :thumbs:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:12 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

I'm going to go a bit further - I actually wrap each egg in bubble wrap rather than a tissue to help stop breakages, lots of sheets of bubble wrap around the outside of each carton, and also put in a postage box inside the satchel. I find 1 dozen eggs fits side by side (6 + 6) into a BC box and up to 3kg satchel and 2 dozen fit into a BM box and up to 5kg satchel. I only ever use express post due to how far away we are from civilisation and have not had a problem with them sent that way.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:23 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Wow What a great post on packaging eggs.
Thankyou so much I have often been asked to post eggs to people but have been too scared :aaargh:
Thankyou again :thanks:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:47 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Thanks Dunderi. I'll put a link to your thread in the INC & R Index.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:06 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

:thanks:.

I think I will keep that post in mind when buying eggs and send link to seller asking very nicely for the eggs to be packed that way.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:21 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

thanks Dunderi for that :thumbs: I am posting eggs off next week so will try that way...pics are a great thought to add too...ppl take in visual better then just reading things

I just recieved a doz eggs from the very bottom of australia yesterday and they were sent express to me half way up NSW...well posted tuesday recieved thursday at 10am. Not bad at all I say...I couldn't run it that fast...LOL :rofl:

Speks