Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Appealing a permit decision

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:31 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:03 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

It is really sorrowful for sure and it's made all the more bitter because the situation is so desperately unfair and you should never have been put in it. I don't doubt for a second that things are absolutely gut wrenching at the moment. Consider yourself hugged.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:08 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

I'm so sorry epiphany :upset: :grouphug:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:06 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

I'm thinking of you and your babies. You're a very brave person! :grouphug:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:30 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Epiphany, I am so sorry that it's come to this for your little man. Such injustice. You, however, have conducted yourself admirably throughout - I don't know if I could have displayed your self-restraint! My thoughts and sympathies are with you. Hoping that you'll be able to see Arte often at his new home, even if he can't be with you.

:grouphug:
Onyx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:04 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

It would be great for all of us if there was a law like this one... http://www.hometownlife.com/article/201 ... y=nav|head

Maybe there is, somewhere in the forgotten codes and ordinances?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:41 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

:grouphug: for you epiphany. Thinking of you :cry:

Last edited by casscat on Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:31 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Damn, I wish I'd read your post earlier epiphany. As soon as I read it today I jumped in the car to drive down to your place. It has made me so sad and even writing this now my eyes are tearing up.

I rang you on the freeway (hands free of course) and your father in law answered and said you'd just left to deliver a rooster. I am so sorry I didn't catch you so I could go with you. It was a sombre drive home for me so I can imagine how you must be feeling.

My thoughts are with you. This whole thing is so wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:40 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

As mentioned several times during this discussion in various ways, the magistrates function is to rule on the breaches of the laws not on the injustice of those laws. There are several avenues still open but unfortunately very long and protracted avenues and since they require the services of solicitors and barristers, very expensive avenues.

I would suggest that people facing the council by-laws problems to write to councils with carefully worded and well written letters protesting these by-laws that go against the grain of of food security, self sufficiency and sustainability.

Dont fire off emails and dont start up petitions. Just write letter and have friends do the same. Make sure the letter are coherant, concise and without emotional issues. Also make sure the letters are dated, signed and with a return address.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:28 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Well...I'm now down to less than half my original flock. My remaining birds seem slightly disoriented & subdued...except for Elizabeth, who has carefully built herself a little path in the massive pile of mulch that got moved today (again, because of ongoing complaints from the neighbours) so she could carefully go round & hunt for goodies near the top of the pile. My garden is very quiet. It's really only sinking in now :upset:

My two year old had a wonderful moment with Arte this morning - she was patting him & stroking his comb & squealing "rooster!" in delight. She adores him so much. Arte put up with it all with much patience & gentleness...as always.

Arte & the hens who went with him are now safely housed up in Monbulk with my friend. The resident cats have already been told off (sternly & with much squaking) & their new family are making plans for a lovely chooky enclosure for them. Once they settle down, they'll be fine & i have no doubt they'll make their new family just as happy as we have been. I'm going to visit them next week to see how they've gone & to give them their 2nd worming dose.

I delivered a note to everyone (except the nasty neighbours) thanking them for their support & explaining what had happened. I've received several condolences already, which was lovely.

Once my excess poultry permit is granted (& it had better be, because it's continually mentioned in their own paperwork), I will restock the flock back up to 10 (more than what I originally had...ha!). I had been collecting eggs for someone else here &, depending on what hatches, I think I'll get some of Arte's offspring. It would be rather appropriate, I think

Dickdi: my FIL mentioned you'd called. I'm sorry I missed you. I'm out on Friday but if you want to come round some other time, you're more than welcome. I'm home most of the time.

Again...thanks so much for everyone's thoughts & good wishes. It does help so much. If I didn't have the support of this community I honestly don't know how I would have got through all this.

As an aside...does anyone have video of a Pekin crowing they wouldn't mind sending me? Arte wouldn't oblige at all (no crowing at all today) & I'd like one to play at lunchtime for a while...just for old time's sake, you could say... :bolt:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:17 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Only just read your post Epiphany. What a sad day :( l can't begin to imagine what you have gone through, to see much loved pets moved on against your will is very, very hard.
My thoughts are with you. :grouphug:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:23 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

chookyinoz wrote:
Just write letter and have friends do the same. Make sure the letter are coherant, concise and without emotional issues.

Perhaps someone could write a sample letter for those of us who are less coherant, concise and relevant than we could be? Not necessarily to be copied word for word, but something that could be a basis on which others could expand in their own words?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:35 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi everyone. Well...I've resurfaced after a horror month including my chooks, child protection (my teenager decided to get grumpy...I'm not a bad parent - honest!), the Chch earthquake (I'm from Chch originally & my inlaws were staying with us when it happened), my FIL going into hospital, yet *more* complaints from the nasty neighbours, stress, stress & more stress!

Anyway, I've finally got through it all (I think!). Permit application for the excess hens has been sent in. And now I'm finally feeling a bit of fight coming back. So what to do from here? I don't want this experience fizzling out with nothing coming from it. I am of the opinion of waiting for the permit to be granted, then go to the papers in regards to the goings on of the last year. Coupled with a letter-writing campaign. What do others think? Would this be a good idea? Anyone else want to join in?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:51 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

What about a letter to your local MP? How embarrassing I don't even know his or her name :oops:
Anyway, pollies love letters.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:42 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I have been keeping track of this thread, wondering of there is something I can do. My answer is to draft a rough letter (as requested by Mariel) that anyone is quite welcome to alter, add bits, copy from etc.

My brain is a bit fried after writing similar letters for most of the day (volunteering at a legal clinic) so I am sure it is riddled with mistakes and I have likely missed some of the most important points! Feel free to add anything I have missed. Maybe some more points about roosters? :D

Dear (enter pollies name),

I am writing to you to ask you to consider your policies relating to backyard chickens. Currently in the Casey Shire residents are only permitted to keep 5 female chickens, but no roosters. I believe this is inadequate and residents should be free to keep up to 10 hens and 1 rooster.

As you are likely aware, society is becoming more concious of the environmental and ethical implications of the food we consume. There has been a push towards self sustainability, and growing your own fruit, veg, eggs and meat has never been so popular. Whilst people may not have to produce their own food in the age of the supermarket, many people are reverting back to this way of life to some degree. A vital part of any productive backyard is a healthy flock of chickens. Not only do they produce fresh eggs and in some cases meat, but they also fertilize the garden. Keeping backyard chickens also allows us to cut down on the miles our food travels, saving on pollution and cost.

There is much discontent in relation to the egg production industry, especially as far as battery hens are concerned. By keeping our own chickens, we know exactly where the hens have come from, what they have eaten and the conditions they have been subjected to. This allows us to make the morally correct decision to eat eggs we know are from hens that have not be subject to horrible conditions.

Chickens also make fantastic pets, especially for children. There is no better way for a child to learn responsibility and gain an insight into the cycle of life. Children revel in the process of hatching chickens, for which a rooster is necessary. Roosters also play an integral role in the dynamics of a flock. They protect their hens from predators, they find and share food as well as sort out fights and the pecking order.

Many council rules, such as those in place in the Casey Shire in relation to poultry are the result of the complaints of the minority. Most people have no issue with a roosters occasional crow during the day; suburban roosters can be appropriately housed of a night to muffle any noise. It seems quite at odds that roosters are banned, yet the average yard contains one or more dogs that are happy to bark at all hours.

Hopefully you will consider the points I have made. I truly believe that chickens and a rooster are a valuable addition to any backyard, and that the council rules should be revised accordingly.

Yours Sincerely, Michelle.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:45 am 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

I think it's a good start but I would be wary of asking for too much too soon. 10 hens and one rooster is pretty full on for smaller blocks. Its probably still a good idea to relate chooks numbers to the size of someone's yard IMO. Can you imagine seven 800sq m blocks in a row with 10 hens and rooster in each one? The roosters would be competing with each other all day and any non chooky neighbours probably would be driven crazy. If any neighbours were slack looking after their animals the smell probably could become a problem. That is what council would have to consider might happen if they change the laws. Its not always going to be one person doing the right thing, with the only rooster in a whole neighbourhood.

Whether we like it or not you have to keep in mind the council need to make rules for the good of everyone and I'm sure their aim in life is to keep complaints to a minimum.

I think if you're going to be asking for a big change, you need to tell them why this isn't going to cause complaints. You probably need to give a general idea of how often a rooster crows through the day and how loud (or quiet) hens can be. You could be dealing with someone who's never seen a chicken let alone understand how they function. They might think a rooster crows every five minutes and hens cackle all day. The letter would have to really sell how neighbours are not going to be affected by 11 chooks (or less) in someone's back yard.

To give you an idea of what you might be dealing with - this is a comment from the animal control officer on the Gold Coast:
Quote:
.....animal management chief Bob La Castra in a flap.

"Would you like to live next door to someone who's got chickens clucking around and plus the potential smell and everything else that comes with it and predators maybe being attracted to the property," he said.

"It's not like a pet, a companion like a cat or a dog, and I think if you want to do that, suburbia is not the place for that, I really don't think it is, so I totally disagree with it."

He obviously has no idea that potentially a hen can be silent all day except for a 30 second cackle after laying an egg. Imagine trying to convince him to allow a rooster in a backyard - he'd keel over backwards :roll: .

In the end the letter needs to be amazing so the answer doesn't start as 'no' then you're left struggling to get anything. If you can make it so agreeable they say 'maybe', lets look further into it, then you're starting out so much further ahead. I wish you luck and hope you don't mind my 2c worth!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next