Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Appealing a permit decision

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:45 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:34 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

epiphany wrote:
Hi guys. Some days I just wish there was a little island somewhere I could go live on so I don't have to deal with this crap ever again. I'm *still* dealing with the fallout from this.

Sooo...I sent in my permit application back in March. As requested by the council to keep 10 chooks. They even indicated on their own paperwork they would let me keep this many. About a month ago I phoned asking what had happened. I was told someone would phone me back. No surprises...no one did. I phoned again two weeks ago...I was told they hadn't acted on it because they though the Court case was the end of it (?). They requested another payment & would treat it as a new application.

Fast forward to today. I've just been informed it's been denied. Apparently based on previous complaints & non compliance.

I really can't cope with this any more.

I would write a letter to them and forward it on to the local newspaper pointing out that you have not been 'non-compliant'. You excercised your civil right to appeal and saw that through to a court case and have abided by the courts ruling therefore you have been compliant. This now means the council is discriminating against you for exercising your rights.

But I also understand that you have probably had enough of the whole saga and just want to seek some peace in your life rather than continue to deal with the obstinance (spelling?) of this unreasonable council.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:02 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Is there any state government body which regulates local Govt. issues in your state? They might be able to help sort it out, but it would mean more mucking about.
Have you though about approaching the state member for your electorate? Sometimes they can be a useful ally, and might be able to give you some advice to get the situation sorted.

Otherwise definately consider going to the media. Start with your local papers - where we used to live there was a very strong anti-council movement and this was well supported by the local paper. If you can handle it, try to get a TV program like Melbourne Extra on board as they really like the whole "suburban confrontation" angle.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:22 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

A new day has brought some fresh perspective. Thanks so much for your comments. As much as I'd love to release 1500 ex-battery birds next door, I doubt it would do much to further my situation (at least, in a positive way)...lol.

The only regulatory body aside from VCAT (which I can't afford) seems to be Casey's internal ombudsman. I will write a letter to them. I don't know how much good it will do but I can only try. I'm not sure if my state government member would get involved in council politics? I don't want to get involved with my council rep again because of the previous trouble I had - he didn't assist *at all*, didn't inform me he had already discussed the situation with my neighbour & he even brought a motion before Council as a direct result of me, demanding to know why Casey allowed chooks (as well as highlighting excess animals)! And yes, I have a paper trail that proves it was a direct result of talking to my neighbours that he did this (yay for having to release everything when you go to court). I have no faith in the council *at all*. My husband wonders if my neighbour has undue influence over the council...he is ***removed for now*** which, I believe, has a bit to do with the government, among other things? (edited to add: it's some big organisation peripherally involved in the building industry). I find it interesting that the laws officer who was originally assigned all of this was, until recently, primarily responsible for overseeing building bylaw compliance. This is, of course, pure speculation, but if it's true then it smacks of corruption within the Council. If nothing else, both parties should know better.

I am considering setting up a website & a facebook page with all the info on this case up for everyone to see. I don't want Casey thinking they can keep this quiet. I want everyone to know how they have acted. If it can work for that woman in the States who was taken to court by her Council over growing veges in her front yard, it might work for the chooks in the Casey area too...maybe? It can't be slander if I have proof everything I say is true & don't seek to defame character? I am also seriously considering writing to the paper & maybe some sort of tv show like Today Tonight. Embarrass the lot of them.

But right now I am going to have my lunch & a cup of tea...lol.

Last edited by epiphany on Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:31 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

If you are going to fight on and still have the energy for it - good for you! :thumbs: We're behind you.

I did Google that organisation. If I were you I would remove the info about it from your post. I think that leaving it up there is very risky.

Enjoy your cuppa and your lunch!! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:08 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

70%cocoa wrote:
If I were you I would remove the info about it from your post. I think that leaving it up there is very risky.

You're probably right. I've removed it. And my lunch was great...thanks :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:16 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

:thumbs: As you say, though, the connection is 'interesting'.....!

Glad you had a good lunch :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:10 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I had a totally non chicken related problem with a local government agency a few years ago and got the most assistance by going to the member foR the opposition! He was so brilliant that it actually prompted me to vote for him in the next election (which he won, so that made it all the sweeter!)

Perhaps you could approach the sitting member of the opposition for your electorate, epiphany?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:59 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

I'm really sorry that this is still an issue for you Epiphany. Cocoa has some good points, your own health is so important, if you can give up option 2 may be the way to go. If it was me and you are able to do it l would go with option 3 and move on. Who wants to live with a stupid council like that and nutty neighbours that are making your life hell. Your emotional and mental wellbeing is so important, take care of yourself. :grouphug:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:05 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

There are lots of us out here cheering for you, mate. Absolutely go and have a chat with your local opposition member/s if your sitting person can't or won't help. Local politics can be even more cut-throat than state or fed. Our local bloke is the first person I would go to in a situation like yours.

Thinking of you frequently, really hoping some positives are coming your way. They are long overdue.

ros :grouphug:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:00 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

you have my support also.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:58 am 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

So, who's the local poultry club in your region? Time to take the fight beyond just you because it's going to take a toll on your health. What we can we - as a rather large collection of highly-informed poultry people - start doing to help?

There is also the issue that the Council is not abiding by its own proper processes, and that is something that can be managed. http://www.ombudsman.vic.gov.au/www/htm ... e-page.asp is where you can go (I think!) as a starting point (you did say city of Casey? http://www.casey.vic.gov.au/).

Again, if we can help - letters of support, legal-sounding commentary, and so on - let us know :)

Oh, and hugs and support. It sounds like a damn nightmare from hell. I just can't understand why people DO that to eachother.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:39 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hi Epiphany - if you do go for option 3 there are plenty of us who'd welcome a tidy chook person for a neighbour. If you have a couple of $mil to spare :shock: , there's a ""nice little place" around the corner from us! :thumbs:
We looked and thought nice place, would suit us to a "t" - but :aaargh: how much, you are kidding right? :rofl:

But infoaddict has a good point about the ombudsmans office - many people I know find that a really good way to get things done, and at least they seem to be run by people with a bit of common sense.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:54 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Just thought I'd pop my head in & say hi.

My neighbours are still up to their tricks. Only now we suspect they're dropping rat bait over the fence....have lost two chooks as well as a dead pigeon appeared near the boundary. The first I put down to old age, even though she wasn't really that old. The second definitely had something drasticly wrong & it looks very much like it was via rat bait or some sort of anticoagulant. We don't bait on the property...mainly because we don't have an issue with rats or mice but also because I have small children & chooks. So the only way the birds could have got access to any was if it had been dropped over the fence.

Next door was screaming at me & called me rather vile names in the street yesterday in front of my children. It was the last straw. I went to the Court & filed an AVO application. I have a hearing on Wednesday. Wish me luck.

I have not pursued the Council as yet, although I will. I've been having issues with my computer & have been very stressed this year. I kind of can't face writing the letter I need to do. I have run out of steam. I'm hoping my resolve will return though, as it needs to be done. It's very difficult trying to cope with the stress & motivate yourself to continue on your own all the time.

Anyhow, hopefully the AVO is granted & they will get the message. I've put up with over 4 years of this rubbish...but it's escalating & it needs to stop.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:09 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

good on you, hope you stick it to them. any chance you can dig up or still have the dead chooks? get them autopsy (sp?) by a vet to prove poisoning perhaps?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:16 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Sorry to hear that it is still ongoing. Your neighbour seriously sounds nuts! Here's hoping 2012 will be better for you and the court hearing goes well. Good luck! :grouphug:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next