Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Appealing a permit decision

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:37 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:26 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

She died on 23 Nov. I buried her but I don't know if there will be much they could pick up at this stage if there was an autopsy? She'd been out in the sun before I found her, so was not in a good state when she was buried - already blackening round the comb & smelling somewhat. It was a rather ignoble ending for such a gentle wee girl. I don't mind digging her up if it was possible to still be able to gain anything from the exercise but I'm not sure if someone would still be able to make a diagnosis after this long?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:35 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

i don't know how long is too long... maybe mike or someone else with a vet/medical background would be able to say for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:36 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

No. Leave her where she is. There's nothing to be gained from digging her up.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:37 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

or perhaps just call a vet and ask them.... my guess would be they need a tissue or blood sample for pathology testing, which should still be viable if its less than a month old perhaps??

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:13 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Good to hear from you, Epiphany. I often think of you and wonder how you are going.

I'd just leave the chook in the ground. The verbal abuse from the neighbours should be more than enough evidence. You couldn't prove that those despicable people had dropped the rat bait anyway.

My thoughts and very best wishes are with you, Epiphany. You are a decent and honourable person and you deserve to be treated with respect.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:24 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Epiphany,

I am so sorry that this awful saga is continuing for you. How low will these 'people' stoop to? I really hope that your AVO is granted, and soon. Although you say you are really drained from the whole experience, I think you must be a terrifically strong person, to continue to cope with this abuse with such dignity.

I am so sorry that you have lost your poor little hen. What a horrible thing for them to do. And here's a thought (sorry, not a pleasant one) - if they have been tossing bait over the fence, what if one of your small children had picked it up and ingested it? Do these awful 'neighbours' not realise the possible consequences of their actions - or just not care? Not that you have concrete proof of the baiting, but I would voice your concerns about this in your AVO hearing. These 'people' have no conscience, and must be stopped.

My support and sympathy to you,
Onyx :grouphug:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:04 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I have been involved in the baiting side of things, but from the testing in the lab end of it.

Even if you did manage to find something in the bird, you have no proof (Video, photo, CCTV footage, eye witness, etc) that the person you think did it, actually did it. The testing will cost many many 100's if not 1000's and you may not get an answer.

Ron

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:38 pm 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

Can you set up some sort of CCTV (I think stand-alone web-cam type cameras can be fairly cheap) to monitor your yard, including the fence between you and the crazy people? That way if they are dropping bait over the fence you would catch it on camera. Edited to add: If you do have the horrible circumstance of another chook death from suspected poisoning (and I pray that you don't), get it autopsied by a vet and ask them to write a formal document detailing the results, including their thoughts with regards to possible poisoning.

I have just read this whole thread and it is truly heartbreaking. My sympathies. :grouphug:

Best of luck with your AVO application!

Encourage your other harrassed neighbours to take AVOs out on them too. It would get to the point where if the rest of the neighbourhood is at home, the crazy people wouldn't be able to go outside without getting too close and then you could call the cops on them for breaching it! Or they'd just stay inside, which would no doubt make everyone happy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:05 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I am sad and sorry to hear about this! I bought a breeding trio of Partridge Brahma, had a night box set up ( as I have had a silkie roo for two years now) and they were housed in an area away from neighbours, anyway one night I stayed out which meant that "Boston" and Sterling didnt go into the night box and the next week there was a complaint from the council. I explained and showed him the night box the council worker was great he said he would turn a blind eye, but I knew that the person, the same type ( a nasty grumble bum) ( who also complained because my scarlet runner beans grew over to his side of the fence) you have as your neighbour would be able to see that I hadn't moved him on and so I gave Boston and his two girls to a friend who loves Brahma. I might add she lives in the same council and has her chooks right up against the fence with not a single complaint from her neighbours. I got the fertile Brahma eggs from her and have a few young pullets. I still have my silkie Sterling. It is devastating to have to part with your loved birds because of this beuracratic rubbish. If there is a chance to fight it then do that I didnt have the heart. Please keep us posted about what happens and best of luck. Ginny

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:29 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Epiphany, I just want to let you know, the AVO is sooooo worth it! I have only sighted my neighbour a handful of times since I was granted the AVO against him nearly a year ago - it has been absolute heaven I must say.

He is not allowed within 10 metres of me so if I am out the front talking to anyone he has to cross the street if he is walking past and if I am out in my backyard, even though there's a fence he seems to never come outside, which is fantastic for me.

Life has been oh so peaceful and relaxed.

By the way, if the order is broken, there is a massive fine and/or a possible gaol term.

GO FOR IT and good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:38 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hope everyone had an awesome new year. Hopefully 2012 is going to be better than the last two years!

My AVO application is in. One for each of them & it includes my children as well. I decided to not pursue a temporary order as they stressed it was for situations where I was in immediate physical danger, which I'm not. But they did say to call 000 if the neighbours even approached me. And the paperwork was served on them twice. Knowing how she feels about outward appearances, I can't imagine having a police car outside her house two nights in a row a week before Christmas went down very well with them.

Mediation is a big thing with the courts & as part of the AVO process, you are contacted by a mediation agent here in VIC to see if mediation is an option. Now, I'm all for acting like an adult & discussing issues. But if they come back saying they're prepared to go ahead with mediation, I'll eat my hat. Given the fact they have never even spoken to me about any supposed issues they have, even when I've outright asked them, I doubt they'll go for mediation. It's not about the "issues"...it's never been about them. Because there are none. It's about their desire for control & their bullying mentality.

Assuming past behaviour is a good indication that they won't go ahead with mediation, the date for the final hearing will be 18 Jan. One of three things will happen on this day:
1. They don't show up. Order is granted.
2. They show up but do not admit they are guilty of the incidents I have listed on the application. However they agree to the order being granted. Order is granted.
3. They show up & contest the order. This is when lawyers get involved if need be. A new hearing date is scheduled.

In all three scenarios, the magistrate asks questions, etc, but one doesn't need to get legal assistance (lawyer or Court legal aid) unless it's contested.

So...you'd think they'd be laying low till the Court date, right? Well...nope. Got a call from Council today. They've complained about my chooks again (they must have done it as soon as the council offices opened). Apparently they counted more than 5 poultry on my property. Given I have four birds & they're all different colours, you'd think it'd be easy to count accurately if you're going to bother snooping over my fence but, like I say, it isn't actually about the chooks, so lying about the numbers is clearly not a big deal for them. I had to reiterate a number of times (& got quite terse by the end) that I do *not* have more than 5 poultry, I *do* know Casey permit guidelines about keeping poultry & my poultry are housed on the *other side* of the property. Heck - they can't even see the coops from their house...at all...so why this was an issue, I have no idea. However, as soon as I mentioned I have an AVO application on them & am going to Court on the 18th, the conversation with the Council person ended pretty quickly.

I know the AVO won't stop the legal harassment they do via complaints to the Council (well...I don't think it will...it can only stop prohibited behaviour & the right to legally complain probably isn't prohibited) but hopefully the Council will eventually pull finger & tell them where to go if they continue to make vexatious complaints like this. Well....the last two years of vexatious complaints aside...maybe an AVO will make the Council finally realise they're vexatious...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:37 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Epiphany, I too wish you a Happy New Year and that this saga will come to a satisfactory end for you without having to spend heaps of money on legal fees.

I will resist to start ranting on about them - and the council, they are not worth it and I couldn't stop myself.......

You have my mental support and hopefully justice and common sense will prevail.

Don't let them spoil your life, you have many people supporting you here, take care. :grouphug:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:50 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Horrible, nasty, vindictive people. So sad you live next to them. Good luck with the AVO.

I would expect that just having that piece of paper to wave at the Council might get them to stop taking notice of the fruitcakes over the fence.

:)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:58 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Good work, Epiphany. :thumbs:

I hope you have a wonderful 2012 (and that your neighbours have a shocker. :lol: )

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:45 pm 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

Sounds like the AVO is progressing well Epiphany, good on you for going ahead with it and seeing it through. Hopefully when it's granted the council will realise that these people have issues. Also encourage any of your neighbours who are having issues with them to do the same.

May 2012 see a change in your fortunes for the better, and be a bright and happy New Year. :grouphug:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next