Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - WARNING - Beware of cockatoos and chickens

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:07 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:21 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I didn't know where else to post this.

It is a warning that if you see a flock of cockatoos coming down to feed with your free ranging hens, check them out very carefully.

I wondered what the cockatoo was doing to my silkie until I got up close and saw that it was a white Goshawk (had to look it up later in a book to find out what it actually was - I had never seen one before). It had absolutely no fear and only flew a couple of feet away, and settled, staring at me. It didn't move until I virtually went right up to it yelling and screaming!!

The info in the book says that they often hang around with groups of cockatoos as a form of camoflauge.

My poor silkie pullet - she didn't stand a chance.

So look twice, next time you see a cockatoo amongst your chooks.

Oh, and Goshawks are apparently a protected species - so no revenge possible. :swords:

Alina.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:32 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I Googled this, as it is fascinating information.

It is endangered in Tasmania.

It is also the only completely white raptor in the world.

http://birdsinbackyards.net/species/Accipiter-novaehollandiae

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:29 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I have a particularly persistant one here - i must look a sight when I run around flapping my arms & sqwaking trying to scare it away. Beautiful bird to look at - shame it is a menace.
Thank fully to date I have lost no poultry to it although I did have a scare once.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:30 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

yes some years i have had them here too andthey can be devastaing to the chooks. my birds are paranoid about white cockatoos and for very good reason.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:22 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

It is quite disturbing to think about the number of predators that are a danger to my free range chooks that are protected, such as goshawks, wedge tail eagles, quolls and tassie devils, to name a few. While I wholeheartedly agree that we must not kill these beasties, it needs to be said that my chooks are also protected (by me). A well aimed pellet up the nether regions of said beasties, from a low powered air rifle (duly licensed) is a great deterrent.

A truly gormless farmer with a wife, 2 dogs, 30 Australorps, 1 Brown Rock, 10 White Rocks, 2 Minorcas, 59 White Leghorns and 2 Indian Runner ducks...also check my blog http://gormlessfarmer.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:20 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hey thanks for the post - I have been wondering what the cheeky sod that chased my chooks around the pen last week was!!

I thought it was a cockatoo but it scared the hell out of the chooks and they stayed very quiet and under cover for ages after. I've since seen it prowling around about 50m above the houses looking for dinner - very beautiful bird.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:13 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I haven't seen a white goshawk here yet, but we do get plenty of cockatoos, something to think about - I will keep my eyes peeled! What we got the other day was a pair of Pacific Baza. Very weird looking bird of prey - has a crest with a big yellow eye. My chickens gave a squark but were not really afraid of it. I thought it was some weird looking owl at first.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:02 am 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Location: drought or flooding rain with the random bushfire storm = yep thats about it for here
we have Goshawks come in with the Cockatoos and are ever vigilant
we also get Wedgetails come in above the Major Mitchells ignoring them and swooping to take a poult - the Maremma have stopped many an attack they patrol well and chase the predators and the Cockatoos away