Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Ivomec

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:23 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ivomec
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:38 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Mike,

That my exact same initial thought, and I do dose my flock again 14 days later. (Note, I'm not an expert, just a farm girl!)

Then I was thinking. In sheep Ivomectin is 'active' for 14-30 days (or more) depending on the product. My understanding of this is that it remains in their system for long enough to kill all the newly hatched worms, for at least the length of a full life cycle of the worm. (therefore all eggs that are in their system hatch and are killed). Cattle Pour on has a similar effect I believe.

Now I know that chooks have a higher metabolism rate than sheep. So does this mean they eliminate the drug from their system too quickly for it to have a residual effect? Or are we in fact dosing them again unnecessarily?

Just a thought.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:14 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Michelle

Now you have me thinking
Sheep and poultry digest in different ways. Sheep are literally four fermentation vats on legs, the stomachs (rumens) are fluid filled and probably not a particularly strong peristaltic action until the digested mass hits the small and large intestines so the mectin is simply in the system longer. ??

A fowl only has a relatively small holding capacity in the crop, a quick visit to the gizzard by the mectin and then into a much longer small intestine network (as compared to a sheep) with much more varied microflora and enzymatic action and more peristaltic action. Less time in the system and more metabolic action ???

However, the adage with sheep being drenched is in a contmainated paddock overnight to cleanse and then a fresh paddock so they dont immediately become infested again, so I am not sure many have that much confidence in the claims of longer protection.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:53 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi,
I have used Ivormec and Ivomectin for Sheep for 6 to 8 years now and I have only ever wormed the birds once at a time. Never had to worm them 10 or 14 days later. I have had samples tested by a vet after I had wormed them and they were free of worms.

I am curious, I have to ask but I think I am going to be shocked!
How many times per year do people worm their birds????

You gather the information and you make the decisions.
If they can do it, why can't I.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:21 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I aim for worming every 3 months, but in all honesty the gaps between worming are sometimes a bit longer than that. At least every 6 mths though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:07 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

shell20_7 wrote:

Then I was thinking. In sheep Ivomectin is 'active' for 14-30 days (or more) depending on the product.

No I *really* don't think that is true. I believe Ivomec is cleared from sheep's system quite quickly. Perhaps you're thinking of a drench like Seponver?

I understand that Ivomec is also cleared from the chicken quite quickly (like within a day or two).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:37 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

andrewschooks wrote:
No I *really* don't think that is true. I believe Ivomec is cleared from sheep's system quite quickly. Perhaps you're thinking of a drench like Seponver?

I understand that Ivomec is also cleared from the chicken quite quickly (like within a day or two).

I believe the cydectin for sheep (moxidectin based) which I buy for my chooks has 14 days persistent activity against some worms. Hence the reason that when used to drench sheep, you don't need to provide a follow up dose.

This is of course what the manufacturer maintains, not independent research. There is not a lot of info on their website about it, but it does suggest it works for 14 days. See link below.

However I don't know if this would apply to chickens, as they have a higher metabolic rate.

http://www.virbac.com.au

As for how often I worm.. in theory every three months, in practice every four. But they don't appear wormy at all, I would dose more regularly if they had a problem.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:59 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

I'be been searching for the duration of Ivomectin in the blood stream. At least in humans, it peaks about 4 hours after oral administration and has a half-life of 16 hours.

Thus the amount left in the bloodstream 20 hours after oral dosing is half, after 36 hours it is one quarter, after 52 hours it is one eighth and so on. So it is fair to say in humans at least, Ivomec is largely cleared from the system within a few days.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:46 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Plumbs, 2008: Ivermectin has a long terminal half-life in most species. It is metabolized in the liver via oxidative pathways & is primary excreted in the faeces. Less than 5% of the drug is excreted in the urine.

Ivermectin - Sheep - Volume of Distribution: 4.6 L/kg elimination half-life = 2 - 7 days

Also found an interesting side note about the use of moxidectin (not ivermectin) in cattle. In cattle, the drug apparently has a long duration of plasma residence (14-15 days).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:13 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

A bit more digging, the half life does vary from species to species within ruminants & pigs. As Chicken07 has reported, in sheep it is about 4 days. Who knows how long it is in chickens!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:24 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Can Moxidectin be applied direct to the skin. Dr. Harry was called to a community garden where a chicken had scaly leg mite. He applied a miticide via syringe under the wing but he didn't say what the product was. I have Moxidectin on hand and wondered if I could use that and, if so, what strength? Is it the usual 5ml/ltr strength that is used in the drinking water? Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:24 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

As far as iam aware ivomec and moxidectin if used direct to the skin, under wings or back of neck is used full strenght , no watering down and you only need to apply a few drops to the skin. If iam wrong happily corrected.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:56 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

There are two different types of Mectins.
Spot Ons are applied to the skin (preferably on a bare, fatty area - adipose tissue).
The water soluble one is very bitter and is best sweetened in order get the chooks to drink sufficient for a full dose. Direct dosing with a syringe is the most cost effective and relible They are not interchangeable.
The 'plus' indicates that it will also treat Tape Worm.
The dosage for direct dosing Moxidectin (soluble) is 0.25 - 0.5 ml/kg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:12 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thank you. Sue 55, you say they're not interchangeable, so what do I need to buy for use on the skin. The bottle I have is Moxidectin Plus (with praziquantel included for tapeworm). Why can't I use that on the skin?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:38 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

The soluble one has a different carrier so is not absorbed thru the skin. The spot on won't disperse in water. There is some debate about whether or not the spot on is as effective in poultry as they lack the adipose (fatty) tissue that mammals have. Spot on is used on sheep and cattle and more recently on domestic pets and is often used on poultry simply because it is more readily available
If you have Moxidectin Plus that is the treatment of choice for poultry. It will treat internal worms (including tape worm) as well as external parasites (blood sucking lice and mite - scaley leg).
Do a follow up dose in 2-3 weeks.
If you are treating for Scaley leg, the old scales won't naturally shed until the next moult although if you do a couple of vaseline rubs for the next couple of weeks, they will soften and come off. Note Vaseline is not a reliable way to rid a bird of scaley leg mite.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:09 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thank you again, Sue55