Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - photos of the native animals that mix with the chooks.

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:46 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:46 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Thanks guys. We get a fair few black possums about the property now, which Ranger was one of them. Ranger had a lot more orange on his coat than most possums though so I imagine his parents were a black and an orange possum. I've seen some VERY orange possums before, but they're just so rare. I've only ever seen them from a bit of a distance. I was just googling them so I could find a photo to show you guys, and it turns out they're known as coppery brushtail possums. They look amazing! If you've never seen them, this is what they look like:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:58 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

We've had a couple of these hanging about on the dam, very camera shy though. I am pretty sure it's a great egret, rather than an intermediate one. They sure didn't use their imagination when thinking up names for these birds :-)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:17 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Our dear little dog Lily, who died 2 years ago, had just one very bad habit. She killed every blue tongue lizard that ventured into our garden. This summer we were pleased to see a big fellow ( or lady) regularly enjoying the sun on our back steps.

However, we weren't quite so pleased when we caught him/her in the act of eating an egg!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:02 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I hadn't considered the blue tongues eating the eggs....... Still like them though.

This guy was in our backyard when we got back from Chrissy. The yard looked like a jungle and I guess that's what attracted him - he kept coming for a few days till we had done a bit of lawn work.

Attachments:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1358067513.111101.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1358067513.111101.jpg [ 48.35 KiB | Viewed 1808 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:07 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Spotted this storm bird on top of the pen yesterday. The chooks really didn't like it. I've never seen one in town before. She may have been disorientated by all the flooding.

Attachments:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1359853541.625211.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1359853541.625211.jpg [ 63.02 KiB | Viewed 1781 times ]
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1359853481.820249.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1359853481.820249.jpg [ 68.29 KiB | Viewed 1781 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:00 pm 
thought i might add some photos i have taken in the last few days.

the crested hawks do not bother the chooks even though the chooks, rightfully so, regard them as major predators. this one was hunting and ate a large grasshopper:

crested hawk 8 BIG by onlyruff, on Flickr

the curlews are usually found around the yard except when they have eggs and their chicks are very small. this is one of the parents and a well grown chick:

parent and baby curlews 2 by onlyruff, on Flickr

and scoop of the day, a newly emerged herculies moth:

smidgen and herc moth 2 by onlyruff, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:54 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Lovely Ruff, you have some wonderful wildlife on your doorstep. I suppose we all do, but does seem more exotic if they are different to ours and in another state.

I lost a Maran day-old chicken last week to a magpie. I had just seen a medium size goanna across the road, and it would have got the blame, but I luckily saw the magpies come by and try for seconds.

This is either carolling for some chicken feed, or a swear-fest with the magpies in the paddock next door. They earn being tolerated because they are so aware of any hawks around and see them off before they can focus on chickens.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:47 pm 
a lot of my chooks live in a big old dairy, a product of the past. in it i have a room i have never cleaned out to use because i never had any intention on living here for that long. in this little dark room hide all sorts of things. it has a window of broken louvers and piles of rubbish. sometimes a chook hides a nest in there and hatches chickens and some years a huge python lives in there and sunbakes on the window on spring mornings.

these are some of the inhabitants i have been photographing over the last few days.

a wasp who builds nests out of the sap of the pine trees:

resin nest building wasp 3 by onlyruff, on Flickr

resin wasp nest 2 like jewels embeded in amber by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/54516384@N02/]onlyruff[/nurl], on Flickr

and a cuckoo wasp who lays her eggs in their nest:

green wasp again 2 by onlyruff, on Flickr

made in australia by onlyruff, on Flickr

if you want to look at the full size photos just click on them and it will take you into flickr.

the green wasp is very very tiny, there are 3 different sizes/species of these cuckoo wasps and over the last few days i have been really sucked in by them and you can see their photos in my flickr photos if you want to look at more. my plan is to sit in this little room and photograph this little green wasp going into one of these resin nests. the chooks all think i am mad.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:54 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Wow. How absolutely beautiful.

What do the cuckoo wasps do to the young of the resin wasp?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:11 pm 
well i have done a little looking on the net about these wasps and there are many species over the world. the qld museum has a terrible photo of one dead on a pin on their site. they have various methods of devouring their host it seems depending of the species. some lay their egg in the nest and the larvae eats the egg of the resident wasp and the food (spiders and grubs etc) and some can wait till the wasp maggot has eaten all in the nest and then the cuckoo wasp eats that.

there are also cuckoo bees which are very striking. i have not found the nests of the solitary native bees. they live around the place and i let the weeds that have the most attractive flowers for them grow. the parasitic bees and the wasps love the flowers. here is the most beautiful neon cuckoo bee:

neon cuckoo bee 3 by onlyruff, on Flickr

if i am not photographing chooks then my eye is often drawn to these.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:43 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Here's my Wildtype brat who came screeching into my life after probably falling out of a nest!
He/she was covered in cobwebs and sticky prickles, and was sitting in the door frame screaming at me
as I walked over to the house.
My first thought was how did the partridge chick get there from the baby pen.
She? is now 4 months old and after three months of constant feeding and attention, is slowly getting more
independant.
She brings the latest catch in to show me. The baby gecko was a bit hard to handle YUK!
She still likes some mince, but is also partial to boiled egg and bread.
She has taken to flying into the chook pens now, and they are not happy about her interfering with
their snacks.
I am not happy about her a. picking the braid off the lounge chair
b. pooing on anything she lands on- she particularly likes my best armchair
c. landing on anything fragile and screaming, when someone is here getting more attention than her. She then picks up biro tops, rubbers etc and drops them on other objects (bang, crash)
d. swooping down and scaring people
e. pooing on, and taking over the poor dog's fur basket as she gazes out the glass doors at the neighbour's Guinea Fowl on the verandah making appropriate scarey noises.
Yes between the goannas, a new huge Scrub Turkey, the inviteable doves and snakes, I think the poor chooks are ready to move out.
This is the bigger version now at 4 months.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:40 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

A Goliath stick insect.... she was lucky the chooks didn't find her.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:49 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

They are amazing aren't they! Apparently they mainly stay in the trees but sometimes get blown out in windy weather. :-)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:49 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

I found this one on a guava I was pruning..... a giant prickly stick insect.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:02 pm 
lovely, much nicer looking than my even more giant ones.

this is one of mine:

smidgen and stick insect by onlyruff, on Flickr

small dog

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next