Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Sexing Australorp Chicks

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:46 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sexing Australorp Chicks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:32 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I am wondering how old my chicks need to be before I can tell what sex they are? I have read that Australorps can be vent sexed from day olds but have not been game to try this. How long will it be before I can tell by feathers/comb etc?

I'd also like advice on what colors they are? I think I have one blue and either two blacks or one black and one splash.

For colour I have posted some pics.

This one, I think is going to be black.

And this one, we think is blue?

Finally got the third one, and this is the one we think may be splash, due to patches of lighter colouring over the wing. I have no clue, though, really.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:39 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I would have though a splash would have light down all over, as splash Wyandotte chicks do (that's the only splash I have experience with!) I would say that are black, and the light feathers will moult out. Or they may stay, which is a fault in lorps.

I find the easiest way to tell which is what colour wise is to take a pic of them all together. Then it is often obvious to see the blue against the black.

Also, sexing them with their feathers is only possible in the first few days. After that you need to go by their comb and wattle development; I can generally get an idea of mine at 4-5 weeks old.
:D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:41 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I found it easy to pick the sex of my Australorps. The ones that laid were hens. That's a never fail test.

A truly gormless farmer with a wife, 2 dogs, 30 Australorps, 1 Brown Rock, 10 White Rocks, 2 Minorcas, 59 White Leghorns and 2 Indian Runner ducks...also check my blog http://gormlessfarmer.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:55 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

gormlessfarmer wrote:
I found it easy to pick the sex of my Australorps. The ones that laid were hens. That's a never fail test.

:lol: That's a clever tip! Thanks.

Shell,

Thanks for your insight I think you might be right and I have two blacks and a blue. I will just have to wait and see which ones lay eggs I guess. When they are all together, the one I think is blue is definitely blue against the others.

Three chicks together showing a definite blue?

I am trying not to feel like a dill for thinking my black chick was a splash now. Also hoping those lighter feathers will moult out. I have read that young Australorps can have magpie wing feathers and whilte tummies that moult out as they get their adult feathering.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:15 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

i recently got hold of some australorp chicks at about 1 week old. the breeder was selling them to me as cockerels to grow out and eat and i paid $10 for the lot. i was happy and thought that was great considering i would be feeding them up... well blow me down when half of them, literally, turned out to be pullets ;)

so if you want ill buy all your males off you you don't want, just PM me :thumbs:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:25 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hermetic_Eggs wrote:
i recently got hold of some australorp chicks at about 1 week old. the breeder was selling them to me as cockerels to grow out and eat and i paid $10 for the lot. i was happy and thought that was great considering i would be feeding them up... well blow me down when half of them, literally, turned out to be pullets ;)

so if you want ill buy all your males off you you don't want, just PM me :thumbs:

Cool! Are there any good lookers in the bunch? I'm hoping to breed blues and I need a splash cockerel for that, to put over black hens, but not looking like getting that at the moment. Only got three chicks from the hatch and am really praying they are pullets so I can at least get some eggs back for my trouble. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:28 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Can you post head-shots of each of the chicks, if possible Magz?

I find that Australorp's cockerels develop their combs very quickly, and it’s easier to tell that way than using any other method.

I find the wing-feather growth method faulty, and the other ways you can do it mostly require the chicks to be older.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:58 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

by 4 weeks old you should be able to sex them!!
we've recently hatched 9.....8 boys, 1 girl!!!
i've found that cockerals will have bigger combs and more devloped wattles and will also get color quicker. they will also get a bald patch!!
pullets with be slower to develop in the comb and wattles and will get their feathers differently.