Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Wedge Tail Eagles and Turkeys

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:06 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:15 am 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Location: drought or flooding rain with the random bushfire storm = yep thats about it for here
let this be a warning to everyone =

yesterday we had 'issues' with a mother Wedge Tail and teaching her young to hunt

all the geese turkeys and chooks got back to the shed safely EXCEPT my precious Not Tilly

DONT ANY OF YOU THINK THAT A WEDGE TAIL CAN NOT TAKE A LARGE BIRD = THEY CAN !!

Sir Boof-a-Lot (our Maremma) chased the bloody rotten mongrel native predator away but not before (in all the confusion of birds running everywhere to escape the swooping A.H.) it had grabbed 'Not Tilly' lifted her about 3mts off the ground then due to her weight dropped my precious girl

she died from the fall before I could reach her - the fury and the adrenaline rush helped me to run throwing rocks and screaming at the top of my lungs and I wished and still do wish that eagle DEAD

we have lost 'Not Tilly' one of the 2 best (and totally loved) RP girls I have ever bred
she survived a fox attack at the beginning of the year but - - - -

R.I.P. my lovely girl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:03 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Soozorps, I am so sorry to hear about 'Not Tilly'. It always seems to happen to the special ones, doesn't it? I wouldn't have thought an eagle would have gone for such a big bird when there were smaller chooks around, but there you go ....

My sympathies to you. :grouphug:

Onyx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:11 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

What a shocking, horrible experience :( Poor Not Tilly :( I understand how terribly angry and upset you must be feeling.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:57 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Unfortunately I can't let any of my birds out unless supervised because of the Wedge Tailed Eagles. They have taken full grown geese and malay roosters, and have been a much bigger problem than foxes for us. A similar eagle in Mongolia are trained to catch wolves, its amazing what these birds are capable of.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:21 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Raptors (hawks and eagles) actually have a mechanism in their legs that is very much like the one way ratchet on a cable tie. Once they lock it in the claws and toes lock into position so they can carry loads and fly without energy draining muscles to hold the prey.

We also have wedgies but so far have left our fowls alone but generally if there is a wedgie around it has a squadron of magpies attacking it and harassing it.

As an aside, I have a friend who is heavily into glider planes and they are designed to be light airworthy aircraft and mostly have a thin rubber like coating over the wings and fuselage. Its with great gusto that he likes to tell the story about how at 8,000 feet he was attacked by a wedgie which tore strips out of the wings and nearly caused a crash landing.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:53 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Very sorry to hear about your much loved Turkey :grouphug:

They are absolute terrors around here as well usually take out the biggest and always the best muscovy drakes and yes I know they are protected but they wont want to push their luck I too have no love for them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:50 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Wedgies are known to take small lambs!

& now 8 of the cutest cross bred fluff ball feed hoovers. R.I.P Chilli.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:28 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Location: drought or flooding rain with the random bushfire storm = yep thats about it for here
thanks everyone :D
chookyinoz wrote:
Raptors (hawks and eagles) actually have a mechanism in their legs that is very much like the one way ratchet on a cable tie. Once they lock it in the claws and toes lock into position so they can carry loads and fly without energy draining muscles to hold the prey. which is one reason why I am sure the bird didnt actually get the correct hold I only saw it holding with one foot thru Not Tilly's left wing = never seen one drop its prey before - glad tho this one didnt - would not have wanted it and its young to feast on my bird! And Not Tilly put up a pretty good fight - until she was dropped

We also have wedgies but so far have left our fowls alone but generally if there is a wedgie around it has a squadron of magpies attacking it and harassing it. our Magpies were what warn us when the eagles are are around - I like our Magpies - they cause no tourble and are good look outs

As an aside, I have a friend who is heavily into glider planes and they are designed to be light airworthy aircraft and mostly have a thin rubber like coating over the wings and fuselage. Its with great gusto that he likes to tell the story about how at 8,000 feet he was attacked by a wedgie which tore strips out of the wings and nearly caused a crash landing. OMGoodness!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: WOW !! glad he got out of that in one piece!!Mike

thanks for that friends telling of his encounter with one of these birds = really puts things into perspective!

saddest part in all this - I am now needing to look for a replacement - obviously :(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:35 pm 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

So sorry to hear about poor Not Tilly! While I respest the Eagle's right to eat, I wish it didn't have such good taste. It's always the best ones, isn't it? :grouphug:

Wedge Tailed Eagles are a derivative of Golden Eagles, which are known to kill wolves and sheep. A goose or a turkey should unfortunately pose them no problem at all.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:05 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

shairlyn wrote:
Wedge Tailed Eagles are a derivative of Golden Eagles

Not a derivative, more like cousins. These two species evolved from a common ancestor.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:33 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

So sorry for your loss, I have had one wedgie only once here. It swooped and grabbed one of my cinnamon guineas, I heard it screaming and was able to scare the WTE into dropping the guinea..... the guinea only had one puncture wound under the wing, this was about 4 months ago and the guinea is fine now. Grey freakin goshawks on the other hand :x ..... we have a pair that are local and have taken call ducks in the past, but now only appear when ducklings are out for a swim in the dam, nedless to say I've gotta stay with them on the dam otherewise , well you know! Chicks running around, turkey poults, guinea keets, peachicks..... but they have never gone for them? only ever the ducklings?

I noticed you mentioned RP surely that is royal palm? I didn't think we had them in Oz? Maybe you could help with a poult that I hatched, it's in a topic here Blue narangasett.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:14 am 
Great Game
Great Game

yeah we have them here in oz... and we have plenty around here... but... because of the massive understory there are heaps of butcher birds, maggies and myna birds +others who always alert and chase them off... not had any problems yet fingers crossed, and the roosters are always alerting the flock to bunker down until the maggies chase them off.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:28 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Ohhhhh I am so sorry to read this...it just isn't fair and YES it is always the ones we most want/need to be the victims...I had a Hawk get into the chook pen once and my turkeys were in there as well...when i heard the commotion i rushed out only to fine my Turkey TOM (yes that was also his name) was madly trampling the hawk saving all in the pen. It too the two of us to actually rescue the hawk before Tom Killed it...the hawk NEVER returned again

Rest in Peace Not Tilly :upset:

Sue