Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Rooster night box

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:57 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rooster night box
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:13 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

After three months of my husband complaining about our RIR rooster 'Reggie's' crowing from 4am non-stop I decided to make a rooster box for him. I initially tried him in just a cardboard box in the chicken coop, picking him up off his perch at around 10-11pm and putting him in it until 8am ish in the morning but he still started crowing at 5am - not good enough!

So yesterday I bought a black storage box with lid from Bunnings and lined it (top, bottom and sides) with pieces of a rubber anti-vibration mat I also found in Bunnings (see pic below). It is a 54litre box which looked big enough initially but now it is lined the space inside is greatly reduced. I drilled two holes in each side of the box for ventilation (second pic). Last night was his first night in the box - the box is long enough for him head to tail, and wide enough but it is not tall enough for him to stand upright - just crouch. Anyway, he didn't make a sound (that we could hear) until I let him out of his box at 8am this morning. So the box worked a treat!

But now I am feeling guilty...is it too confining? My husband is thrilled with the outcome but I feel sorry for poor Reggie locked in the box all night.

Post subject: Re: Rooster night box
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:27 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I'm not an expert, but when we were researching this online for our very, very loud rooster who crowed all night, we read that one of the points of rooster boxes was to stop the rooster being able to stand and stretch his head up - which would stop him crowing. We had ours in an small, old kitchen cupboard (with holes cut for ventilation) which we then padded with straw cushions to reduce the height.

To our shame, sometimes we even forgot to let him out before we went to work :oops:, and he seemed fine, if a little cramped when we got home late once, let him out for a drink and a bite and shut him back up again. :oops: :oops:

We think we shut him up overnight for about 3 months with no obvious ill-effect.

Cheers

Narelle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:46 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks Narelle, I feel a little better. Reggie certainly seemed fine when I let him out this morning and to be honest the 'puk, puk, puk' sound coming from the box this morning made me smile :biggrin: . I guess it is better than having his head chopped off which is what my husband was threatening!
Leanne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:05 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

They can crow even if they can't stand up... as proven by BYP threads at times. It's just that they can do so much better & more comfortably if they can stretch their head to the sky.

If you're particularly worried about the height, you could make a 2nd night-box as a 'lid' turned upside down onto the base of this first one. You'd have to join them with a 'hinge' of some sort... if nothing else, a couple of holes drilled in the edges of the long side of top & bottom & some cable ties to join them together may do. You'd need to make sure that when it 'closes' the two halves together that the top couldn't be knocked off sideways & doink him on the head and/or make a gap between top & bottom without the antivibration stuff keeping the noise inside.

Looks like a great night-box, either way.

Can I ask how much it cost to make?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:57 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Oh Good Lord... you shouldn't have posted/shown this... :rofl:

Me thunks that the number of secret suburban roosters will be increasing if this works as well as I (and, I'm sure, many others) think it will... :woot:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:20 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

VowelMummy wrote:
Oh Good Lord... you shouldn't have posted/shown this... :rofl:

Me thunks that the number of secret suburban roosters will be increasing if this works as well as I (and, I'm sure, many others) think it will... :woot:

No, no, no ! I'm SURE that all poultry people are very good, law-abiding, council regulation-following citizens ! They'd only have a rooster in a suburban area if permitted by their council. They're very good at counting how many hens they have, too ! :rofl:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:43 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi,
Winglet, the black box was about $15, the anti-vibration mats were $11.50 each and I bought 2, and I also bought a Sellys glue tube for the caulking gun for $3.98 to stick the mats to the inside of the box - total cost just under $40 and took me about half an hour to make!
Night two in the box last night - went down at 10.30 and picked Reggie up off his perch with the girls and popped him in his box. Not a sound this morning (that we could hear - the chookyard is about 20metres from the house) - I've just been down and opened his lid and he hopped out, none the worse for wear and is crowing his heart out now at a civilised 8.30am.
It looks like Reggie could have a long and happy life with us now...safe from my husbands axe :biggrin:
VowelMummy, I'm not sure how the box would go in a suburban area - we are on 5 acres, but Reggies box doesn't fit inside the coop so it is just under the tin roof section - I think if you were able to put the box inside the coop it would work even better - double soundproofing! Our bedroom is about 20 metres from the chookyard and we have had two nights of blissful silence (well, nothing loud enough to wake us up anyway :D )
Leanne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:27 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I think I need one of these for my dog. :rofl:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:35 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I have 17 young roosters learning to crow just on the other side of my house :shock: Our plans to kill one a week/fortnight over the next several months are rapidly shortening, and the plan for the growing pen has also accelerated!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:03 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

NTgirl wrote:
I have 17 young roosters learning to crow just on the other side of my house :shock: Our plans to kill one a week/fortnight over the next several months are rapidly shortening, and the plan for the growing pen has also accelerated!

Sounds like my place, limiting factor I have is freezer space!!

Ron

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:21 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Wow, I thought 4 was noisy! 17 I can not imagine :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:57 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

*mutter* I don't NEED to imagine. I got it.

Luckily, we shoved 'em all in the orchard which is far enough away. Just. But plans for processing 6/week ... well, we WANT to but ... freezer space isn't the hassle. Time and preference is ...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:19 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

I managed to get some off those aluminium foam filled freezer type panels from work that were scrap and plan to cover the coop with it :) . If it works should be nice and quiet and cooler in summer and warmer in winter :thumbs:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:34 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

mycoola wrote:
I managed to get some off those aluminium foam filled freezer type panels from work that were scrap and plan to cover the coop with it :) . If it works should be nice and quiet and cooler in summer and warmer in winter :thumbs:

They sound good mycoola - let us know how you go! Do you have any photos as am finding it hard to visualise?

I assume by your reference to work and your BYP name you work in some sort of refrigeration industry? so these panels would not be generally available to the average person?

If not, and they work as well as you hope, you could consider a small side business for chook owners ;) I would be your first customer as we too have a roo or two .....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:04 am 
Great Game
Great Game

I work at a cement works and these panels were originaly for a small lab on a kiln floor which is a hot and noisy area,they worked very well. The kiln runs at 1650 degrees C on average and outside of this room would probably have been around 60 degrees but inside was alot cooler and most of the noise was gone. You may be able to get these panels from auctions or commercial freezer supliers.