Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Woohoo I trained my peafowl!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:19 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:06 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I have managed to teach my peafowl to return to their house at night and stay in a big yard without netting. I used the chickens to do it! I kept my peafowl pair locked in for about 3 months with a couple of hens we went in each day to feed them and clean house so they got used to us. The day came when I decided to let them out I had no idea what they would do. I have black plastic up high along the front fence to deter them from going that way and it worked. some flappy plastic on lower fences and the gate but they just quietly and slowly walked out poked around with the chooks for a few hours and then called each other and went back into their house, cock up on his perch same spot as usual hen on her tree stump, no problem. We had a hot day they didn't like and put themselves away at noon for a nap. They are getting more tame, we can get pretty close they dont run away. So there it can be done! Woohoo I cant wait for the boy to grow his new tail maybe next season I will get babies. As time goes on I will extend their area more so they can always remember the way back to their house bit by bit till they can go where they please. My neighbours didnt even know I had them. they were noisy over christmas season because thats breeding time but then they were quiet, neighbours thought it was some nightbirds calling didnt know it was a peacock lol.
When they were calling though I had trouble with the teenagers next door on the other side and kids down the road teasing them, throwing stones etc comming home drunk in the am going down their drive yelling at them, someone took a pot shot with an air rifle never found out who it was they missed luckily.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:28 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

That is cool....wonder if would work for Guinea Fowl?? This means I can keep Guinea Fowl and Peacocks HAHA!!

Edit: I also have trouble with my neighbours sometimes...the one behind us went to the extent of opening all the pens and setting his pitbull on all my ducks. They all survived thank god but now I have to lock each pen up every night with a padlock.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:38 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I found guinea fowl much noiser and far more skittish. If you are going to go peafowl try and find some that are used to humans around as much as possible it helps lol. They need a lot of space and privacy Ive been planting out a 'jungle' lol bit by bit to help them feel at home. The house they have been in is huge it probably would take up an average sized backyard and need a high enough roof so the male can perch high and his tail has room. And they eat HEAPS. I would not attempt to keep them under an acre of land all up they like to explore I know breeders keep them in smaller pens but they are big birds I wouldnt want to keep them locked in a pen forever, only long enough they know its home and calm down. I have at least 50 meters from their night pen to the nearest house with bush in between aswell I wouldnt try and have them closer to anyone when they do call out its loud. I think the fact they have had a lot of space has helped them want to stay here rather than take off. Always feed them inside the pen, keep food and water inside so they have to go back in for it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:42 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

That is true I live on an island and there are about 20+ Peafowl wandering the islands that people bought...so mine wouldn't want to stay XD plus with plenty of Jungle Wetlands who would want to live inside a wire box no matter how big??

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:47 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

I'm going to move this thread to: Turkeys, Guineafowl, Peafowl, Quail, Pheasants and Others now that we have modified the title to include Peafowl & Pheasants. :)