Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - how loud are silkie roosters?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:41 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:48 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I wasnt intending on getting a rooster but my mum just rang me and informed me she has bought 3 silkie roosters and Im to pick one :shock: :shock: :shock: and she and some other guy are going to have the other 2.....Gee thanks mum :roll: didnt listen to a word i said when i said no roosters :aaargh: ...now... i have under an acre in a rural setting and there is another rooster close by...i hear him at night....my question is....are silkie boys loud? like from 1-10 (10 loudest) where does a silkie boy sit with noise level? hes ment to be a cockrel so only a young man....my chook yard backs onto an orchard but theres a little old lady who lives next door (still a bit away from chook yard) and i dont want to rattle her cage if you know what i mean....if he is pretty low key he sould be ok...well i guess i will just wait and see if i get any complaints...Mum said worse case senario she will take him if it doesnt work out.. (she lives very remote so ok) i have 6 silkie girls who will love him and 5 big girls he can try his hardest to reach i guess... not sure what colour he is yet....and even though i was never going to get a rooster i am quite excited about getting my rooster gift off my mum now :) going to name him captian feathersword :rofl:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:21 pm 
Ol' Bustard
Ol' Bustard

Well, I have a little black Silky rooster in the block that adjoins mine and I can hear him OK but he's not in the same league as a full sized standard roo. I'm not sure if he's the norm or not.

My Speckled Sussex boy started to crow this morning for the first time and if they get into a crowing match, my bloke will win easily...

Anybody need a huge Speckled Sussex rooster 22 week old?

Cheers,

Linz :)

A lot of Andalusians. Brown Leghorns PB & CB. Blue Leghorns PB
Anconas and Silver and Gold Campines.
I love anything Mediterranean...
____ __ _______ _ _ _ ______ _ ________ _ _ _ _____

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:32 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

They vary. Ours were never very loud, but we're still loud enough to be a bother if too close. They were certainly quieter than the neighbors dogs, but they have a habit of crowing at the worst time of the night when you desperately need sleep.

If a rooster can not stand up properly they can not crow very loud (if at all). You could make him a special box or something, or find something around the house to use.

When we lived in town we used to put our silkie rooster under a bucket at night and let him out in the morning. We used a bin from the bathroom, it was not solid (kind of filled with slots) so we were not worried about suffocation or overheating. if he got wet on a rainy day we would leave him out of it or I would try to sneak up later when he had dried off.

They get used to it pretty fast and some will sit down when they see you coming with their bucket. Silkies do love routine and can be very compliant. Picking up the rooster each night can be a good way to keep an eye on him, you notice pretty quickly if his weight changes, or he has tumors, or you can check him over for lice, you can treat scaly leg mite and so on.

Good luck with the silkies, they are heaps of fun!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:43 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Mukluk wrote:
If a rooster can not stand up properly they can not crow very loud (if at all). You could make him a special box or something, or find something around the house to use.

Sorry but this is an old wives tale and just plain wrong.

I have had a rooster sitting in a cat cage, on the way home from a club meeting, in the car crow (Frightened the heck out of me.).

Silkies will crow and whether they are loud or not is entirely dependent on the individual bird. Generally the smaller the bird the higher the pitch of the crow. Bantams, for me, are far more irritating than my Wyandottes/Sussex/Australorp full size boys.

Yes you can build a night box of some form, basically keeps them darker for longer and muffles the sound, so that you are less likely to upset the neighbours at 4am,

Ron

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:54 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

A while back I was given a single silkie egg to incubate- surprisingly it hatch...but of course it ended up being a male. I wasnt able to sex the fluff ball until I did first hear it crow- and had to hear it more than a few times until I worked out what the strange noise was. I kept him around for around a month after I worked out it was the silkie and wasnt bothered by him much at all. Although still young- he didnt crow very often, he was housed just outside the back door and if I was at the front of the house I hardly heard him. Not wanting to risk alienating the neighbours at all I did rehome him- but he wasnt really causing an issue at that time. Had I kept him longer I guess I may have had to build a night box- Generally it wasnt a long drawn out noise. but again- given some time Im sure he would have found out how loud he really could have been.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:27 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

rotten_66 wrote:
Mukluk wrote:

Sorry but this is an old wives tale and just plain wrong.

I have had a rooster sitting in a cat cage, on the way home from a club meeting, in the car crow (Frightened the heck out of me.).

Perhaps mine were put off in some way by being in the bucket? Mine would crow like mad if not in the bucket but barely give a half muffled crow if they were in it.

We are currently in a rural setting so do not need to worry about such things.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:47 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Out of ten probably about 8-9 remember smaller birds does not mean quiet usually the complete opposite :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:11 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

:thanks: everyone...helpful advice....well mum brought him to my place this arvo....and lets just say she doesnt know her chook breeds... :aaargh: . he is a pekin...i have two white silkies and mum assumed he was a silkie cos he is white.. :roll: she isnt a chook person...he is bitesize and still chirping like a little baby....i think my big girls will peck him alive if i introduce him.... might talk to mum and get her to take him cos as sweet as he is i dont think i will be able to keep him.... :thanks:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:06 am 
Flock Master
Flock Master

I find that silkie roosters are not loud so much as shrill. Being a smaller bird they have a higher-pitched crow which can be more offensive. But as has been said it does vary widely from bird to bird.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:06 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I have a pekin cockerel and he isn't very loud he is just high pitched, In my opinion the crow of breeds like sussex tend to travel the most but aren't high pitched, My hamburg has the most annoying crow (I dont mind crowing at all but if i had to choose the most annoying it would be his) of my chooks its loud, shrill and travels a fair bit.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:53 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Well I really like him so i hope the old lady next door can sleep through it once he starts...heres my next question.....I have 6 silkie girls for him but i also got some big girls like sussex and RIR....are little Roosters capable of doing the wild thing with the big girls? he is tiny and could possibly walk between their legs i just cant see it happening....which is fine....id rather him stick to his own kind....but im just curious to know....do the little guys get the big girls? :hmmm:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:38 am 
Flock Master
Flock Master

Little guys will certainly try to get it on with the big girls. Whether or not they are successful will depend on the extent of the size difference and presumably his technique.

A little while ago someone posted pictures of her ISA Brown with chicks, the hen had actually gone broody and hatched a batch. The only roosters around were a pair of Pekin brothers. I can only assume that they were very determined boys!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:10 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

ive got a young belgian roo that during his mad hormone stage was chasing my faverolles around, they shook him off like a flea. be interesting in a few months to see what happens with the mini menace