Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - How long do chickens lay for?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:56 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:24 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I was wondering :confused: do chooks ever lay more than 1 egg a day and how many years do they keep laying for?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:36 am 
Ol' Bustard
Ol' Bustard

There's no one answer to this question. It depends on too many things.

I could say that if you want to know how viable a hen is over a particular period then it depends on the breed.

ISA Browns for example are great for the first season which is why they were bred for battery use. They tend to either die or become ill early in their lives due to the egg laying pressure on them. There are exceptions in that breed too. If they live on, the second year normally has around 50% less production (or so).

Heritage breeds tend not to lay as heavily in their first season, and have longer rest periods when moulting or if they go clucky. These breeds will lay well enough over a 4 year period and then fall off after that (but there are exceptions).

The toy breeds (like Silkies etc.) Never lay heavily anyway.

You can also bring feeding into the equation. Those people feeding intensively can extract a lot more eggs than those simply feeding pellets and table scraps. There are a lot of factors at play here.

I hope this helps and brings further comment from other board readers.

Cheers,

Linz :)

A lot of Andalusians. Brown Leghorns PB & CB. Blue Leghorns PB
Anconas and Silver and Gold Campines.
I love anything Mediterranean...
____ __ _______ _ _ _ ______ _ ________ _ _ _ _____

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:56 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks Linz. I have 3 (out of 5 originally) Isa browns. I'm not sure how old they were when we got them and we've had them for 15 months now. In the beginning we were getting 5 eggs a day. After they molted, they kind of never laid the same. Then we lost one (with no idea why) and a month later another one died. They are currently molting and its cold, so I expect them to be off lay.. but as I said prior to this they had slowed down. I guess I'm just trying to work out if I should keep them or not. We have the 3 new chicks now, any my hubby thinks its a case of 'out with the old in with the new' but I'm kinda fond of my girls and would like to keep them :) I'm not sure how they would go if we added the new chicks to the coop though :confused:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:15 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

From the start of the egg laying process to the egg "popping out" is about 23-27 hours, so one egg a day per chook.

For ISA or a "Commercial" Brown, they will still lay after the second year but it does tend to drop off quickly. You may find they lay every 2-3 days and the the egg is a whopper or it may have a very thin or even no shell at all. some BYPers have had girls that at 5-6 years old are still laying, but this seems to be the exception to the rule.

If you are fond of them and happy for them to stay and understand the drop off in egg production but not the concurrent drop off in food consumption, then let them stay, the decision is yours.

Me, I kept mine for about 3 years and when the eggs started to be irregular and weak shelled then I "sent them to live on a farm", and have replaced them with some new pullets of the cross breed variety,

Ron

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:14 pm 
Ol' Bustard
Ol' Bustard

Hi Magenta.

It depends on whether you have chooks solely for the eggs. I don't myself, I enjoy them as birds and our eggs are a bonus. That works for us as we have new layers coming on at the moment (Speckled Sussex) and the older girls can lay whenever they like within reason.

I know it's hard to remove birds that you've become fond of. I have a Light Sussex at the moment that I like, but she's just not strong constitutionally and she's always behind the others in everything. When she is right she goes broody at the drop of a hat so, she has to go to make room for new birds.

If you want eggs, then I would try to find one of the Rhode Island Red x New Hampshire crosses or Australorp x New Hampshire. I've had these myself and they are reliable layers with a good lifespan.

I've had birds of that cross from Brian Larkin Poultry at Tahmoor (NSW) and they are strong and well reared.

I hope you find some nice birds.

Cheers,

Linz :)

A lot of Andalusians. Brown Leghorns PB & CB. Blue Leghorns PB
Anconas and Silver and Gold Campines.
I love anything Mediterranean...
____ __ _______ _ _ _ ______ _ ________ _ _ _ _____

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:27 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Jackie French has a 16 year old Isa that still lays in summer!
:claps:

You can read more on my blog here! www.domestica.com.au

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:20 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Linz wrote:
It depends on whether you have chooks solely for the eggs. I don't myself, I enjoy them as birds and our eggs are a bonus.

Well this is the thing, they are primarily for eggs (although I have found I really enjoy them also) but it is really a case of feeding them for nothing.. sad but true.

Domestica wrote:
Jackie French has a 16 year old Isa that still lays in summer!

Wow! That's amazing. Actually, I think I saw that on TV recently.

rotten_66 wrote:
From the start of the egg laying process to the egg "popping out" is about 23-27 hours, so one egg a day per chook.