Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Dora the Explorer and Black Betty hit the road

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:30 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:48 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Neighbours down behind us and one yard over have two large chookies, who we have named Dora the Explorer and her sidekick Black Betty for reasons that will become apparent. They are commercial layers I think who used to freerange in their back yard.

Dora became bored with her yard and decided to spread her wings a little, escaping into the adjoining yard. This was so much fun, she talked Betty into keeping her company.

First they free-ranged in 'no man's land' - a strip of bushy ground several metres wide that runs along below the back of our yard, and way above the house it belongs to. Then they free-ranged up the easement path up beside our place:

Life was an adventure: Wotcha got?

Then they free-ranged on our footpath, which wasn't much fun: Damn, a fence!

Then they free-ranged in our front yard gardens that run beside the driveway:

We loved seeing them and I even put water out in the garden in case they got thirsty on their wanderings. Life was full of treats. Oh look, there's another garden over there:

After a hard afternoon's fossicking, it's off back home. Betty must have turned in early.

Then their owners built a chook run to end all chook runs, all hardwood timber and much mesh and security, a real Chookcatraz. It looked amazing and judging by the indignant 'BWAAARKS' the chooks were amazed too when they realised they couldn't get out of it. For one day.

OH came in laughing early the next morning after he's been out to get the paper from the driveway. There was Dora, scratching away in the garden as if she'd never been locked up.

I think her owners have upped the security after several more free-range events. We don't see Black Betty much but Dora still occasionally visits and I always make sure there is water in the garden. I do like a persistent chook :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:36 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

We've got a chook here thats a houdini as well, I've had to update the security of the coop and adjoining run several times to ensure she doesn't escape. Because when she does escape she goes straight to the mulched vegetable bed that I'm growing garlic in at the moment and bends a lot of the stalks over :x So far since the last security update I've had no escapee's but theres one that makes a break for it when I open the door to come in and top off their food and collect the eggs, she's managed to evade me a few times and get out of the door as I'm coming in but luckily she doesn't know about the mulched garden bed lol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:25 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

Dora is cool-as doing her own thing all around the place that's one happy explorer chooky and of course she would require a trusty sidekick to hang with.

i like that you guys were cool with her scratching your mulch/tan bark about and not all pissed-offedy-feet about it you know tap tap tap that darn chook on the garden attitude people can have. awesome for you guys!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:35 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Love the story & the excellent matching photos.

Wouldn't it be great if every street had their own feathery pest-removal service wandering from garden to garden !

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:42 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

What a lovely story to open first thing this morning... :D

Jacx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:49 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Quote:
i like that you guys were cool with her scratching your mulch/tan bark about and not all pissed-offedy-feet about it you know tap tap tap that darn chook on the garden attitude people can have.

grabby, compared to the scrub turkeys, dora and black betty are TIDY! Anyway, what's a bit of garden mulch between friends :thumbs:

Quote:
Wouldn't it be great if every street had their own feathery pest-removal service wandering from garden to garden !

winglet, i quite agree with the wandering chooky theory. Only worry I have is if there are any stray dogs around. Fortunately that doesn't seem to have happened. We were quite disappointed when they were locked up, but admittedly they were safer. Don't know why the owners didn't just make the fence a bit higher, would have been much easier. But, that's people for ya :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:50 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

And thanks, Jacx :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:36 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I love your Dora story. My parents lived in a middle inner Melbourne suburb and their street had a "pet" guinea fowl. Nobody actually owned it and no-one knew where it came from but it set up residence. It wandered up and down and everyone fed it. It lived there for years and was collectively named "chook". People watched out for it as it had a habit of standing in the middle of the road and even the local bus drivers were careful to shoo it off the road.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:20 pm 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

My Pekins just free-range in my yard, but someone down the street has some brown layers and a couple of Sussex that regularly escape and wander up and down the street (which is very quiet), investigating everyone's gardens and doing mulch inspections. I love to see them just chooking about.