Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - My *precious* Pekins

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:27 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My *precious* Pekins
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:30 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Went to Berry on the weekend, hopeful that I would find one or two pretty hens to bring home and integrate with my existing flock of 7 bantams. We had a lovely time at Berry and after a bit of deliberation I decided that I REALLY wanted two little buff pekin pullets. They were only 9 weeks which was younger that I was expecting to bring home but they were beautiful and healthy and active and I was determined to have them! There were two other bidders who were also keen on them but I just went up and up and up until they dropped out - $120 each!

Thankfully they were the fourth 'item' to be auctioned so I collected them quickly and we came home. I was so surprised by how friendly they are - I thought they would be stressed and wary of people but when I put them in their new home they kept heading back through the door and sat on my lap. Because I am a bit obsessive about my chickens' health and because they cost a fair bit, I took them to an avian vet on Monday and had them checked over. Both are healthy, no cocci, protozoa etc, there was one worm so I wormed them with 1/4 wormout tablet. One is 350g while the other is 250g so I'm not sure if one is a little older or if it is just bigger. I get paranoid that the bigger one is a rooster because, being a little bigger all over, she has a slightly bigger comb. When I think about it though, proportionate to her size, it's about the same as the smaller girl. To be 100% sure they both had little blood samples taken for DNA testing so I can confirm their gender. They were both sold as pullets and there was a separate Pekin breeder there who thought they were both girls but just for my own peace of mind I decided to have the test done. Will find out in about a week!

Today I had the day at home with them and again they surprised me with their friendliness - I took them out the front to peck around they hardly left my side and when they got tired they both jumped on to my arm and started grooming themselves. They are in quarantine in my neighbours yard but I brought them out of their cage this afternoon again and they had a dustbath in his garden, cheeping contentedly. I'll keep them there for about 6 weeks, partly for quarantine purposes but also because they are still only half the weight of my smallest hens and about 1/5 the weight of the rhodies and Aphrodite.

So because I am a proud mother, here are some photos

Here are the two bottoms, little balls of fluff (you can see the one on the right is bigger)

And here is my bigger girl, her name was supposed to be Glitzy but she isn't very glitzy - of the two she is the more quiet one.

And here she is again this afternoon. You can see that the different lighting makes her look washed out in this one.

And here is Honey this morning

and looking paler in the afternoon light

I love them both already :oops:

Post subject: Re: My *precious* Pekins
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:30 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Wow, those are some expensive hens!! If I tell your story to hubby, maybe he won't look so shocked next time I tell him I'd like to spend $70 on eggs :D

It sounds like their previous owner spent a lot of time with them, making them nice and relaxed around people. Friendly (dare I say affectionate?) hens are just lovely to be around! I hope you get a lot of enjoyment getting to know them, and that they're with you for a very long time :) They're very beautiful. I think buff is my favourite colour in hens.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:40 pm 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

What lovely hens! And what a bird is worth is entirely up to you. I went to the Pekin Club annual show and auction, and with the prices that some people were paying there yours were quite resonable. As a Pekin breeder myself, I am confident that you have two pullets there, at eight weeks the boys should have declared themselves. I love that they are so tame! Mine will run up to me to see if I have any food, but they wouldn't jump onto myu lap!

They are a very good quality pair of buffs, so no wonder people were willing to pay for them. They look to have good feathering so far and more importantly they have uniform colour. It is very difficult to keep buff (which is based on wheaten) colour uniform. They tend to devolve to a darker hackle and paler back, like this hen of mine below. Yours however look excellent. Congratulations!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:15 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Oh Clare they are lovely!

**IF** I were to get any more hens, Pekins are high up on my list for the friendly and pretty and fluffy factor. I just melt each time I see the hens at my local nursery. Then I remember they are prone to broodiness. Having said that though, my other three are too so what's two more? :rofl:

I'll look forward to following their journey with you :thumbs:

You can read more on my blog here! www.domestica.com.au

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:44 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

I'm sorry - I did not mean that as a criticism or a derogatory comment. Absolutely what a bird is worth to one person depends on many things, and may be entirely different to what it is worth to someone else. There was no implication that I thought they were not worth that amount, or that too much was paid. Please don't take it the wrong way ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:53 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

I bet the Vender,was smiling,mind you, there must of been
some one else bidding on them. Even $120 the pr would be
a good price, :thumbs:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:02 pm 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

shaz68 wrote:
I'm sorry - I did not mean that as a criticism or a derogatory comment.

I hope you don't think I was implying that you'd meant that, I definitely wasn't!

I was making a personal observation. I paid $80 for a splash pullet with an obvious wing fault, because I wanted a splash and she was worth that to me. I still think she's fabulous and worth every cent. :)

:grouphug:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:40 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

I did wonder if that was a response to my comment, and when I re-read what I posted, I thought it could have come off sounding quite rude and judgmental, so thought I better clarify :shock: Glad you didn't think that :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:15 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I agree, pullets, our cockerals have big bright combs by 4 weeks, so no doubt here.

As far as cost goes, if your happy, thats what matters. :thumbs:

I love buff Pekins, our eldest has claimed the buffs as his and thinks any buffs we breed or buy are instantly his. :lol:

You will get endless amounts of joy out of watching the Pekins at play, if you are able to and haven't already, get a cockerel, they are just great to sit and watch.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:00 pm 
my first pure breed birds were buff pekins, i used to sell them for about $3 each which was way more than the 70 cents i got for my siamese fighters (fish).

they look very nice buff pullets. i hope they do well for you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:40 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Thanks everyone!

Domestica - I thought the same thing! I read about the broodiness of Pekins but then my little Wyandottes are ALWAYS broody (in fact both are broody atm) so I figure they can't be any worse than Minnie and Cleo.

Don't worry - I know they were expensive (I will NEVER tell my grandad how much they cost) but honestly the amount of joy they have brought me already makes them worth it. Today I stressed out about leaving them alone because it was supposed to be 35 degrees but they were fine and when I got home at around 5pm I brought them around the front and they zoomed around the yard, had a lovely dustbath and then plonked themselves down on my lap for a grooming session. I think I might name the smaller one Pigwidgeon after the owl from Harry Potter - she is just this little ball of feathers that zooms around at a hundred miles an hour. I love it when they are young and still play - I always feel a bit sad when my girls get red combs and start laying because they stop playing around the yard, flying in the air for the sake of it, chest bumping and chasing after each other for fun.

To be honest I feel a bit guilty knowing that they are good quality because I don't really have any breeding plans. I just get SO much satisfaction from seeing them safe, healthy and happy and that's what I strive for for all 9 of my girls.

Lacy, even though I really hope these two are girls I would love a rooster one day. I'd be interested to see the interactions and behaviours of a rooster and his hens. One day.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:55 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Pekins are both girls! Got their dna test results today!

Both girls are radiant - they are so sweet, they have to be in their coop all day but when I get home I take them to the front yard and they zoom about like crazy and dust bathe and scratch around all at a hundred miles an hour. It might sound weird but I have actually gotten into the habit of bringing them inside at around 5.30 and they sit on the ottoman (with a towel over the top) and hang out there for a while and then I make a mash from their pullet grower and they wolf it down and then they go to bed in a basket filled with sugar cane mulch in the spare room. I know they are too old to be coming inside but I like seeing them and I am probably the most stress-y person in the world so not having to worry about them being eaten by a fox means one less thing to keep me up at night.

I had a panic attack through the week because the smaller girl was limping a little - I immediately decided it was Mareks though I did think she was on the young side. When I picked her up to to look at the leg I realised she had ripped a claw half off which is obviously bad but at least it will heal - unlike a paralysed leg. The torn part came off and she is better today though I assume its still a bit sore.

Oh and they have both gained over 100g each! :chicks:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:35 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

That's great Clare - you must be thrilled to get the results :thumbs:

I'm still telling myself ( and Mr Domestica) that I won't be getting any more chooks this year, but hearing about your girls makes me want some! I have to help raise three chicks though for the next 6 weeks and then find them homes so that will keep me busy enough to distract me from adding to my flock. For a while at least!

You can read more on my blog here! www.domestica.com.au