Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - rooster nose ring?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:20 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: rooster nose ring?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:29 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

hello, I'd like to ask if anyone ever have put a nose ring to a rooster? I've seen a few pictures of roosters with nose rings, and I was wondering what's the difference between a rooster with ring nose and without one?

Post subject: Re: rooster nose ring?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:37 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Do you mean a beak bit to prevent feather picking?
There is information in Housing, Feeding and Husbandry forum.
An Index at the top links to relevant threads that may also include photos. Several threads under B. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:35 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

thank you very much for your help, I found information about beak bits, but I was wondering that if put a beak bit to a rooster will he stop crowing? My rooster starts crowing from 6:00 in the morning continuously until 8:00, and then every one hour for about 20 minutes. My neighbors are complaining very much, and actually is not allowed to have chickens in my city, but I love my rooster and I don't want to lose him. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:46 am 
Golden Pekin
Golden Pekin

No, a beak bit won't stop a rooster from crowing.

A lot of people make their rooster a small night house that he can sleep in. The night house should usually have thick, insulated or padded walls to muffle or quieten the sound. The idea is to make the rooster quieter for you and your neighbours by blocking the noise. It won't stop the crowing, but it will be a lot less noisy. Usually people put the rooster in the night house when it gets dark and then let him out again in the morning (maybe about 8:30am). Usually that provides a very good solution for a crowing rooster living in a city :)

If you do a search for rooster night houses or night boxes you should find some examples :) There are a range of ideas mentioned in these threads:

viewtopic.php?t=6738
viewtopic.php?t=5872
viewtopic.php?t=7955606&start=0

If you decide to make a night house you could perhaps tell your neighbours what you are trying to do and it might make them happier if they know that you are doing your best to keep him quiet :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:43 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

hi there,you will need to rehome him before the neighbors really get mad,stick to hens instead theyre quieter, a night box wont help through the day.

[color=#8000BF]1 x new hampshire x,3 x blue leghorns,1 x white leghorn,1 x buff leghorn,1 x exchequer leghorn,and thats enough[/color]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:37 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

If you measure your rooster while he is standing up, then make him a night box that is high enough that he can just stand up but cannot extend his neck upwards as they do when crowing, he will find it almost impossible to crow. I made some for problem roosters and normally don't hear a peep out of them until I decide it's late enough in the morning to let them out.
Some roosters learn to crouch down so they can still put their head up to crow, but find it uncomfortable, so as a whole it should cut the noise down almost 100%.
I leave mine in til 0930 on Saturday and Sunday mornings so all the neighbours can sleep in.