Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Ingham Turkey Processing footage

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 5:48 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:00 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

OMG !!

I've just been watching the CCTV footage of a few individuals dealing with live turkeys, on ABC's Lateline, that can only be described as intentional brutality towards the birds.

The CEO of Ingham, on being shown the footage, has issued a statement indicating that the matter is not condoned in any way by the company. That view, on the face of it, would be supported by one particular piece of footage showing a staff member checking to see who was around (by looking around a corner) before they proceeded to kick a bird.

I will be watching the outcome of the company's investigation into the issue with a great deal of interest.

I expect nothing short of the staff involved losing their jobs & being prosecuted for animal cruelty with the full force of the law.

Edited 11:23pm to add:
I have just submitted my thoughts direct to Ingham via their website's contact form about what I feel would be of benefit in improving the situation for the turkeys (and for Ingham).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:45 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Don't think I can watch it - take your word, have read the text.

Here is the link for anyone interested in supporting - looks like there is some action.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-03-20/p ... ty/4585350

Edit to add: surely prosecuting the staff isn't the answer. Management who don't screen job applicants and employ "thugs" are more guilty than the staff. As are Management who distance themselves from the work area and claim they didn't know.

Last edited by PossumCorner on Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:48 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Awful. I won't be watching either. I guess it shouldn't surprise us though. People are idiots.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:31 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

It's absolutely disgusting. I actually felt I'll watching it. Those men should be fired, then locked up away from any living things - It's the sort of animal torture you hear about developing serial killers carrying out.

Im considering going vegetarian after watching it. :upset:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:50 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I definitely do not condone these actions,but as usual , animal processor(including all those doing the right thing and with relevant protocols in place ), will possibly be crucified because of this isolated incident by certain groups and sections of the community. Weed out the IDIOTS and not the industry ( prime example the live export cattle trade )

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:55 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

SydneyChick wrote:
... should be fired, then locked up away from any living things - It's the sort of animal torture you hear about developing serial killers carrying out. ....

True, and there have been enough studies done to make the connection valid. All the more reason to put the focus on the company. If it doesn't select staff based on mental health checks, and doesn't have a solid supervisory system in place, nothing will change. Their talk of "re-training" is ummm a bit of a joke. you can't turn workers who are cruel and sadistic into something else with a training manual and a whiteboard. Better to not give them the job (setting them up to fail) in the first place.

Not saying the workers should get of scott free of course. Making scapegoats of them would be handy though for the people who put them there - look, big fine, gaol sentence, justice served. No way. Justice would be enforcing some profits to go back into better and fail-safe systems. Maybe some pressure from the bigger retail customers would help.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:41 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I can't watch it either-I'm way to sensitive and have enough of an imagination to understand the gravity of the cruelty.

Interesting about the screening and selecting staff on mental health checks...when PC you first mentioned it in an earlier post, I though 'how do you know from interviewing someone if they have sadistic/cruel tendancies? But I see now that it would be possible to do at least an initial 'warning signs' type screen.

PossumCorner wrote:
you can't turn workers who are cruel and sadistic into something else with a training manual and a whiteboard. Better to not give them the job (setting them up to fail) in the first place.

Could not agree more. Yes, PC, it's management's poor/lack of supervision and employee screening that's the major problem here.

You can read more on my blog here! www.domestica.com.au

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:58 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Watched it and it is not good viewing I thought the best idea put forward was to have cct cameras in the plants that would certainly deter any cruelty and would make sure health and safety standards are maintained if the process was shown on a site somewhere for people to view perhaps they would have more respect for there food.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:29 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Other than having all applicants spend an hour with an experienced psychologist it'd be very difficult to accurately screen for a tendency towards animal cruelty. The best they can probably do would be to do through referee checking (and that is an unreliable technique).

garyb wrote:
I thought the best idea put forward was to have cct cameras in the plants that would certainly deter any cruelty and would make sure health and safety standards are maintained if the process was shown on a site somewhere for people to view perhaps they would have more respect for there food.

Agree - the surveillance of an independent party would be the most effective approach. I like the idea of a webcam on the internet!

SydneyChick wrote:
Im considering going vegetarian after watching it. :upset:
I'm hearin' ya! I have great respect for vegetarians.

Last edited by 70%cocoa on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:53 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

I cried just reading the article, there is no way I could watch the footage.

It makes me so sad and angry. In my mind people who have the mindset where they can do that sort of thing and think its OK do not have anything to contribute to society and are a waste of oxygen. I can not fathom how a person could not be distraught to the bottom of their soul to see, let alone do that to a creature.

I am vegetarian (for environmental and ethical reasons) and every time I hear stories like this one I am more assured about my choice. I would be beside myself to know that meat I was eating came from an animal that was being treated like that and since I can't ever know for sure, I would rather just opt out of the whole thing.

On a happier note, I am on camp with a Year 7 group at the moment in a national park and there is a lovely brush turkey perched in a tree outside my window, keeping me company.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:01 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I watched it, it's just shocking the poor birds imagine how scared & terrified they must feel, those workers are animals have they no respect:(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:09 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Interesting some comments here....

In my comments to Ingham last night, I did point out to them the disgrace that they've brought on innocent, caring staff members who DO deal with the birds in a humane manner.

I also commented to them that I felt that CCTV in all facilities where live birds are ever present would be useful, in addition to them having live internet feeds for members of the public to see the behaviour of their staff.

I pointed out to them that for those who do not care where their food comes from, or do not want to watch how the birds are treated, they won't bother looking for the footage. I pointed out that those who do care are intelligent enough consumers to be aware that a living creature must die for them to eat meat, and that they underestimate how much their consumers can watch.

I believe that the majority of consumers would be pleased to see the way that the birds are treated, even in a commercial production line setting, when dealt with humanely. However I believe that even those who don't care much are VERY likely to be disgusted by the abhorrent treatment meted out by the few staff members that have now put Ingham in a seriously damaging situation (separate to the brutality itself towards the birds).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:43 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

70%cocoa wrote:
.... I like the idea of a webcam on the internet! ....

Yes, but we'd never achieve that, and might as well just fight the battles we can win. The civil libertarians would be up in arms at invasion of privacy or such, and win. Such implied lack of trust and spying would also create resentment, viscious circle. I don't think a sneaky little camera in the workplace should replace the eyes and voice of a real person: that's a few extra salaries a year to cover breaks, holidays etc. It's still a lot less than this public relations exercise might cost them: and as snowman has said, the relevance to the livestock export market horrors will be noted. And probably some tit for tat comment from overseas accusing us of pot calling kettles black, so foreign relations possibly involved.

Do Inghams grow all of their turkeys "in house"? I'd hate to be a contract supplier and see my birds treated like that - or do the growers care less?

Edit to add: 1. sorry I mussed your name snowman. Fixed.
2. And the Govt crossing the floor biz could not have come at a worse time, as the media can only highlight so many issues. And as this whole spill thing was caused by media beat-up that's going to be their main focus. And the Inghams issue could be sidelined. I hope not.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:04 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hi possumcorner,the idea of the cct was being recommended by the animal welfare people dealing with this ,personally I dont see any problem with it there are cct cameras in every coles,woolworths,and major shopping centres not to mention your local corner shop it hasnt detered us all from shopping there.

The other point beside the good public relations this would create is the loss of product ,if you watch the video you will see that none of the birds being mistreated/tortured would be able to be sold after slaughter, Im sure Inghams have a certain percentage of "wastage" that they deem normal or acceptable but like all companies would like to minimise this as it just cuts into profits.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:43 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

As awful as the footage is I can't escape the fact that there is a fierce agenda being pursued behind the installation and publication of the video, and that is a complete cessation of animal husbandry, animals in sport and the consumption of all livestock (and eggs).

Animal cruelty is a terrible malignancy and should always be cut out swiftly, but this type of behaviour is always conflated by right wing Vegan organisations with the entire livestock production chain. You will note the commentary and belligerent calls that follow the video are not for the prosecution of the individual(s) but for changes or cessation to the livestock industry as a whole.

Regrettably, the media obtain the footage couched in soundbites from radical elements and just run it.

And as for CCTV, I think this is also wrong headed, firstly because it is another expense that the Vegan groups know will incrementally make the livestock industry ever less viable, and secondly it is not justified by a rational survey of cruelty incidents in Australian processing facilities.

Every new regulation, every fee and charge, every new certificate or inch of red tape, that the Vegans succeed in covering producers with is another nail driven into the primary production coffin.

The right thing to do here is to publicise the fact that producers support the industry as a whole and focus on weeding out the tiny minority of delinquents and criminals.

Dean Rallison (who respects the Vegans' choice - but not their right to dictate their diet to me).