Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Ingham Turkey Processing footage

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:05 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:57 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I think your pushing your own agenda deanrallison Inghams make huge profits every year the birds are theirs and are sent to growers who are paid a fee to grow them out if there is any extra cost due to implementing cameras it would be passed on to consumers.

I understand you are probably a farmer and are sick of left-wing "vegans" telling you what to do re: your husbandry but I think most people would find this unacceptable.

I am a meat-eater

Edited to correct spelling

Last edited by garyb on Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:14 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Looks like another staged show for the benefit of the Video,
no doubt done by the persons who put the camera in there. :hmmm:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:00 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

macar wrote:
Looks like another staged show for the benefit of the Video,
no doubt done by the persons who put the camera in there. :hmmm:

Would agree have no interest in videos etc been given to media by animal lib groups.Their agenda is always very clear and they dont care how they will eventually achieve it.
Yes I did watch it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:40 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

[quote="garyb"]if there is any extra cost due to implementing cameras it would be passed on to consumers.

You are correct Gary. In a fair world extra costs would be passed onto the consumer. Only this is the world of the Coles/Woolworths duopoly, any extra costs are borne by the farmer, and if they can't absorb them they go out of business. The end result is that the products are then bought in from one of the hot countries where the producers don't suffer the same level of conditions. In the winners' circle we have the Vegans, Coles, Woolies, and foreign producers. In the losers' circle we have Australian producers and consumers.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:18 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

well done have tryed to watch it it is now full of spam and my computer blocks it and is it ingims aus or usa who was it posted by ? :thumbs: jason

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:42 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Due to the nature of this forum I would have thought it totally irrelevant whether you are a meat eater or a vegan, surely we are all animal and bird lovers here.
Who cares how the footage was obtained, whether it was taken by a tree hugging, earth loving vegan or a member of the staff who was sick of what was going on, is again irrelevant.
What matters is that the video is now out there and it will force the management to do something about it.
I use the word management loosely, after all the recent revelations of what happens in some abattoirs wouldn't you have thought someone would have had the brains to put into practise whatever it takes to stop this sort of thing occurring.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:13 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Squeaker wrote:
Due to the nature of this forum I would have thought it totally irrelevant whether you are a meat eater or a vegan, surely we are all animal and bird lovers here.
Who cares how the footage was obtained, whether it was taken by a tree hugging, earth loving vegan or a member of the staff who was sick of what was going on, is again irrelevant.
What matters is that the video is now out there and it will force the management to do something about it.
I use the word management loosely, after all the recent revelations of what happens in some abattoirs wouldn't you have thought someone would have had the brains to put into practise whatever it takes to stop this sort of thing occurring.

Your sentiment is much the same as mine.

I raise, kill & eat our quail, and the odd cockerel. I'm a big fan of red meat, too.

I have NO problem paying more for animal products of any sort if it means that the animals are treated humanely.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:38 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Email response to my comments to them via their website last night has been received (clearly a standard reply, but one which personally I am content with at this point in time):

"We want to reassure you that Inghams does not tolerate the mistreatment of its livestock.

A full investigation of this incident at Tahmoor is underway to identify those involved and to then take disciplinary action which for such misconduct will be the termination of employment.

As a result of the actions at the Tahmoor Processing plant Inghams will be installing video monitoring within live bird handling areas of our processing plants, as soon as practicable, to ensure animal welfare standards are met at all times.

A police investigation has commenced, in addition to the action Inghams is directly taking. Inghams is committed to fully cooperating with the investigation.

Yours Sincerely,

Inghams Marketing"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:24 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

I have not watched the video, l was disturbed enough reading about it.

I have NO problem paying more for animal products of any sort if it means that the animals are treated humanely.[/quote]

I agree Winglet, l'm not a big meat eater but what l do eat l'm happy to pay more for if l know the animal is treated with the respect that it deserves.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:10 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Thanks for the update Winglet its good to know :claps:

I can understand farmers getting a bit paranoid, if cameras go into poultry processing plants ,then it will follow they will go into other abattoirs possibly causing an extra cost to producers.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:22 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Winglet
Quote:
I have NO problem paying more for animal products of any sort if it means that the animals are treated humanely.

That is so not the point of it all. I do not wish to pay a premium price for humanely treated animals. It is a basic requirement that ALL animals are slaughtered and treated humanely.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:26 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I find the idea put forward of 'mental health checks' pretty terrible. There is an extremely weak link between mental illness and violence, the vast majority of people with mental illness are not violent and the vast majority of people who are violent are not mentally ill. The mentally ill are far more likely to be victims of violence than perpetrators.

I would have no problem with criminal record checks to see if the applicant has a history of violence, but discriminating based on mental health checks is an awful idea and it hopefully fits under the employment discrimination act.

I agree partly with Dean that its a big shame that these campaigns are generally headed by extremist vegan groups like Animals Australia. A read of the Animals Australia website shows they are not interested in reforming the industry but destroying it, they are even against backyard enthusiasts and pet owners. These guys think culling foxes is cruel!

I think there needs to be a rational voice in this argument rather than just a fight between the extremists on both sides (the militant vegans and the profit driven producers) and its up to the average consumer to take on this role and form a consumer group advocating self-regulation of the industry and helping consumers make informed choices about humane meat and egg products.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:53 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

tg451 wrote:
I find the idea put forward of 'mental health checks' pretty terrible. There is an extremely weak link between mental illness and violence, the vast majority of people with mental illness are not violent and the vast majority of people who are violent are not mentally ill..

For sure. When people mentioned 'mental health checks' I expect that what they were thinking of was some kind of detectable history of pathological violence towards animals (not the more common forms of mental illness that are totally different in nature and have absolutely no link to violent behaviour as you very rightly point out). I would not think that this behaviour represents any kind of pathology or disorder though - these people are just heartless thugs.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:51 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Copied from ABC news

Five workers have been sacked at a commercial bird handling plant after animals were mistreated.

The ABC's Lateline program this week broadcast footage of staff at an Inghams plant at Tahmoor, south-west of Sydney, bashing and kicking live turkeys.

In a statement this afternoon, Inghams CEO Kevin McBain said five employees have been dismissed and an investigation into the incident was continuing.

"We want to again reassure you that Inghams does not tolerate the mistreatment of our livestock," the statement read.

The company added the installation of video monitoring in the live bird handling areas would be completed over the course of the weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:57 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I think it is good that Inghams have reacted appropriately, it will be interesting to see what comes of the further investigation.