Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - I'm out of control - more new silkies (photos)

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:26 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:05 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Thanks Brigitte. Yes the wet season is annoying but Blossom doesn't even need to go outside to get wet, she's started dipping her head in her water tub the silly girl. Ive had to take her inside on a couple of cold evenings to blow dry her sopping pom pom.

You're right Levrette, Pluto has finally figured out its a lot more fun to be facing in a particular direction :whist

Well I'm pleased to report my skinny blue girl (I've named Neptune) is filling out nicely now. She has padding around her breast bone and is more confident now. Here is an updated photo of her.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:43 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Great to hear. She's lovely!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:50 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

you are beyond ADDICTED lol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:28 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Good on you LMG. She looks great :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:30 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Its been awhile since I posted news from my blue silkie pen ...
The girls are 1 year old now and I'm sooooo pleased to say they are all doing great (touch wood!) They survived being transported from interstate in the heart of summer last year and haven't succumbed to mareks exposure despite being unvaccinated. So I thought these girls are good candidates and are ready to breed from.
I was waiting on fertility with no success all spring. Then after a decent trim of all those fluffy butts, finally fertile eggs yay !
I had lots of broodies so decided to put 12 eggs in total under 2 broodies. When I candled them 9 out of 12 appeared to be fertile.
And guess what ? 9 out of 9 eggs hatched !
I have 3 blue and 6 splash (or blue based splash) healthy 2 week old silkie chicks running around their mums like little fluffballs. One has a vaulted crest and its so adorable. Its going to have a huge pom pom.
A friend in Canberra was keen for some eggs so it was a good chance to have a practice go at sending 1 dozen eggs in the mail. They all arrived intact and are currently in his incubator. He messaged me to advise 9 out of 12 were fertile when he candled them. Hopefully he will have a good hatch but I'm really pleased with those results from eggs posted in the mail. :yess
I haven't forgotten you were interested in some eggs Possum Corner but it all happened late in the season and I wanted to do a 'test' run before sending any eggs. If you would still like some in the future just let me know.
I will download pics of the chicks but in the meantime here are a couple of my girls all grown up and Pluto, now a big, boofy, fluffy man.
I'm so very pleased with my blues and Blossom (my buff) is doing so well despite her head trauma when she was young.

Tiffany and Neptune (on the right, the skinny one I was originally worried about)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:34 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:08 am 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Pixie and Trixie, my splash babies are mostly broody these days, but doing well :-D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:41 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

They are lovely and its great that they've made it past the main Marek's risk period. For what its worth, they will be carriers of Marek's, probably a relatively benign strain however. That is an excellent thing because if your chicks are lucky enough to encounter the benign strain before being hit by your normal super virulent strain, they should do fine too!

You could try to improve your odds by using these girls as broody mums, or if hatching in an incubator, using vaccination.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:31 am 
Great Game
Great Game

They are looking beautiful - and oh yes to still being keen on a dozen eggs 'whenever' - thanks for remembering. I've just hatched a few blue, lavender and white Araucanas Also a few little crossbreds from Silky hens with a white Araucana boy. And some of buff Pekin/bantam Wyandotte cross hens with a small Araucana red/black rooster. And some Belgian d'Uccle/Pekin crosses. Forty chicks all up, I hope now for a few hens from each of the groups.

It was a bit unintentional with the crossbreds, just gathered eggs from the mixed lots while waiting for some new separate breeding pens. Hadn't planned on incubating, middle of heat waves and all that, but wanting to set up more interesting coloured eggs as a longer term project. (Whilst still keeping the good blue eggs from the purebreds as the main aim).

It will be good to have the extra pens, not likely before Autumn. I have five hens going broody, and might just surprise them with duck or guinea fowl eggs - unless some of your blue/splash Silky eggs might be possible in the next week or two or three.