Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Recycle, Reuse, Reinvent :- The Hippy and the Engineer

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:30 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:30 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Wow, what fabulous ideas. Love your ute canopy coops, Sue. Just terrific setups.

And pallet coops always look fab in my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:43 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

The picture illustrating the nest box access - that has "5" on the side - do your chooks have pen addresses? Wow, upmarket stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:42 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

You have some really great ideas Sue, your pens look fantastic. There really is a use for everything with just a bit of imagination.

Waiting for the next lot of photos.

Smallflock, All my pens are numbered, it is easier to keep records this way. Instead of writing "the pen at the south end with the Australorps" , you can just write 'Pen 5'. Not sure if this is Sue's case.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:38 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

guineafowl wrote:
Smallflock, All my pens are numbered, it is easier to keep records this way. Instead of writing "the pen at the south end with the Australorps" , you can just write 'Pen 5'. Not sure if this is Sue's case.

Oh well ... it's a little different when you are limited to 15 birds in total, not so much paperwork to do I guess

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:48 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Mine are all numbered too. It makes it easier if you have to have someone else feed them to say 'Pen 2 Pullet Grower'
'Pen 6 chick starter'

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:30 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I love the Toilet seats....great idea....so now I will have to find some

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:55 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

This cage came off the back of an insulation truck. It cost me $50 (inc del.) from a farm clearance sale. Mr sue55 did a nose stand on the bobcat whilst manouvering it into place.

The litter has just been turned over.
I told the girls that if they got the housework done they could have this

Look what Mr sue55 found. some stands.
These nest boxes come as a gift with purchase when you buy a lawnmower. Some people either buy too many lawnmowers or they throw them away because they don't know what they are.

This one is an excellent design as it features mesh sides to provide the bird with extra ventilation whilst she is nesting.

Sshhh.... don't tell Mr sue55

These are the 'new' duck nest boxes, for when we build the new duck yard!
Well, if we are going to cage the orchard to keep the wild birds out, we may as well keep the foxes out and the DUCKS IN
That's right, isn't it?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:08 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Quote:
... I told the girls that if they got the housework done they could have this ...
:laughing

Your future ducks will appreciate the kennels.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:41 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

They all came from the tip shop $5/10 each
We have the ducks, they just need rehousing (that way I'll have another chook run)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:39 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Suee55 thanks for sharing. Your set up looks fabulous. You've got lots of great ideas for people either trying to build on a budget or minimise their impact. Do you mind if I ask how much land you have? And did you plant it yourself or are you fitting in around pre-existing flora?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:41 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Thanks Liz. We have about 11 acres of land, which slopes from the highest point where we have built ,down to a small river (where the Tiger Snakes and foxes live) The previous owner did extensive propagation and mass plantings of Eucalypt, Pines and Desert Ash, as well as a 60 tree orchard. We also have a river bank planting of huge Hawthorn trees (100 yrs old) and unfortunately their feral offspring. The property is too small to farm and too big to mow so we employ 2 alpacas (Cirrus -white Suri and Nimbus - black Huacaya) and about 40 kangaroos to help. Since moving here we have added more exotic planting and a vege garden. Chook sites are chosen to take advantage of the tree shade and to try to intergrate them into the landscape.

Last edited by sue55 on Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:29 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Ahah! That was what I was envying, your shade. I have 2.5 acres but it was all cleared grazing land prior and I've concentrated my plantings on the fences for privacy. Taking advantage of that shade for my chooks has been a challenge. The plantings and shade around your runs look great.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:53 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

If you are planting trees for chook shade, start with Acacias (they grow fast but don't live long) while more permanent trees are establishing. The Acacias are good pioneer trees as they are a legume and add nitrogen to the soil. The chooks also like the seeds.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:13 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

This thread is awesome. Makes my slap-dash pen look positively ridiculous :) Love your work everyone.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:49 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Thanks Sue. I did just that. I've got climbers growing over the pen too which helps width temperature regulation. It works both ways. I've lost passionfruit to frost before but the one climbing over the chook run seems to benefit from the heat they generate so it has no trouble with winters.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next