Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Be honest: is Facebook pipping BYP forum?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:26 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:32 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I have never joined Facebook. I might one day, I just haven't got around to it.

BYP forum has always been my number 1 go to place to find poultry information.

But lately I get the feeling there are less people posting on here or responding to posts. I could be wrong; I hope so because I love this site.

What can be done on Facebook and in what ways could it be an alternative to forums like this?

I don't know. Just asking, that's all.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:46 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

More people tend to use a mobile device therefore facebook is the go to app.

If you download the tapatalk app you can access BYP on the go, which is what I'm posting from now

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:53 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I don't have fb or tappa talk. Only use my phone.

Don't post much coz 1 I'm no expert and 2 I have no disasters that I need help with atm.

Really enjoy reading though

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:20 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

BYP always has had low and high posting times when chicken hatching is on BYP is almost always busy . :-)
As for Facebook it is quick answers smiley faces etc you really cant go into too much depth in answers hence why Facebook may be popular it can not replace sites like this if people want detailed explanation.You can post something on Facebook and dont expect to find it in a hurry it can slip down pretty fast and things can be deleted fast too.I like being able to find information weeks down the track something Facebook does not do. But like everything people use what they like and hopefully each has its purpose.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:37 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

They both have their place I think. Facebook if used wisely can be a very useful tool, it is also more instant which is a big advantage sometimes. Whatever works I suppose. I love both.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:56 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I was on Facebook for a long while and ended up closing my account due to people and admins on various poultry pages deleting my posts and so many people who were of the opinion that their viewpoint was the only one and became upset if you had a differing one.
I find I don't miss it at all and have found byp has all the info and informative reading you need without all the bull....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:06 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Facebook is a whole different kettle of fish. People seem to happily post the same information a million times without even checking if anyone has posted it already. Old posts are also hard to search. It serves a need for immediacy which so many people seem to have, without allowing for the depth of info and expertise a forum has. I much prefer a good forum but less people using them makes them less useful. A single response to a question is nowhere near as useful as a dialogue. I learnt so much on here when I first started with chooks. I'm hitting a brick wall at the moment looking for info on some birds species I'm interested as forums just don't seem to be the font of info they were in the past.

Then in the days before forums there were mailing lists.... then before that there was no internet! Change is inevitable.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:13 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

I agree Bruce. There is a hell of a lot of BS on Facebook.
Sometimes I cringe at the advice given by people who mean well but have little idea (aka WD40 and sump oil for scaly leg is always a reply :huh? ).
Usually the same questions are asked over and over again as search ability is poor on FB.
The Forum is a much more user friendly resource with years of information stored here.
As Peter has said though, people seem to want instant responses and FB gives them that.
For a lot of the questions posted I will direct them to a topic here. They can do some research themselves then.
The forum and FB both have a place I think.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:37 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

As others have said , i think they both fulfill a need ; for access to in-depth information .and conversation the forum wins hands down - facebook just cant provide that level of continued accessibility , but it is handy for quick answers , although like Redjohanna - some of the advice given makes me cringe a little too (like vegemite water advised for nearly every ailment :-D ) - i also try to direct people here to the forum when i can .
The one thing about both which is good (if not great :laughing ) is that through them more people are learning about , and wanting to get involved in the keeping and breeding of poultry.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:41 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

redjohanna wrote:
Sometimes I cringe at the advice given by people who mean well but have little idea (aka WD40 and sump oil for scaly leg is always a reply :huh? ).

That's one thing I hate about Facebook groups. People give advice that is flat out wrong, which I sometimes try to correct because I hate seeing it, but Facebook has this weird cliquey/pandering aspect to it so the person that is wrong gets moral support from their friends etc and you are made to feel bad for being right/knowledgable and the position of the person giving incorrect information is supported, so then the wrong info kinda looks right again and you have to decide whether you want to bother arguing. Also I've seen people trying to help someone by asking questions that for some reason the person asking for help (or their mates) don't like and they turn on the helper, whereas on here if someone is asking for help people often ask questions to get more info to help answer questions.

Think it's to do with the mostly anonymous nature of forums vs FB being people's actual identity.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:22 am 
Ol' Bustard
Ol' Bustard

You mean Vegemite water doesn't cure Marek's?

Linz :)

[i]A lot of Andalusians. Anconas in Standard and Bantam PB Black Leghorns in Standard
and Bantam, Derbyshire Redcaps, Light Sussex Bantams.
[/i]
____ __ _______ _ _ _ ______ _ ________ _ _ _ _____

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:45 am 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

I am a big facebook user and have been for quite a few years but I stay right away from poultry forums on facebook for many of the reasons stated above. I do believe that if somebody asks a question then they are entitled to a good answer. I also know that there are no silver bullets particularly with sick fowls. I get frustrated with people seeking a silver bullet for what is often a complex problem.

Facebook is, though my eyes when we are talking poultry, too much instant gratification.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:38 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Linz wrote:
You mean Vegemite water doesn't cure Marek's?

Linz :)

I thought it was good for ILT and coryza :nuts :wee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:26 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I occasionally look at the local poultry facebook and yes, it makes me sad for all the above reasons including vegemite. I simply point people with sick chooks or other chook problems to this forum. Some seem unwilling to read a lot, but never give up hope.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:59 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

BYP has to be where the community is which is why we have facebook groups also. People will choose where they wish to interact.

I normally work a bit harder here than I have been recently. I've had things on that have gotten in the way.

Facebook is good for the quick show and tell when you get a chick hatching or the short question. It's a minefield of bad information though and people need to have the common sense to disregard the rubbish and enjoy the good parts. The self-promoted alternative medical treatment experts are certainly something to behold. In the end it doesn't matter where you are online though, you have to filter.

BYP currently has a Backyard Poultry facebook group of over 9,000 members for the casual backyarder; and also an Exhibition facebook group of about 1,700 where the discussion is more related to exhibition of birds. Both are less structured than here and it's harder to find information. You may get a quick response sooner though.

The forum is better for sustaining a meaningful conversation and for finding previous posts on a topic.