Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Do Geese Mourn removed eggs?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:16 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:11 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Broody behavour? This is Silly Gooses' first season laying eggs. We only have one goose so there is zero chance of hatching. After our concern for her spending nearly all day on her eggs, we started pulling the eggs when she would leave for the days food/water/poo. After I removed the LAST egg, she started coming out more, but acting really weird. She seemed distant, refused her treats and kind of wandering around lost, for lack of a better term. At any rate, I could tell she was 'off'. She's always the busy-body and has to be involved in everything going on from us fixing the lawnmower to gardening... she's right there "helping". But not the last few days. Just standing around in one place for long periods of time and wandering WAY out of her usual areas.

When I went to lock up my chickens and Silly last night, she was no where to be found. I searched the entire property but since we have 42 acres and there are woods on all sides of us, I could only search so far. So, I went to bed, convinced something had happened to her.

When I let everyone out this morning, I saw Silly sitting in a little run-off stream. Its not big enough to float in... just a big trickle. I picked her up and brought her back to her house, put feed and water in and locked her up. She seemed a little off-balance when I sat her down but she's now sitting on her empty nest. I have 2 theories: Her odd wanderings are because she's looking for her missing eggs, or she may have gotten into some weeds we sprayed 4 days ago (note: we didn't spray anywhere near where she normally goes, but you never know). She has no evidence of trauma and was strong enough to protest being held, but not as much as she normally would when I pick her up.

Any thoughts? Thanks, all!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:35 am 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

early last breeding season, one of our Sebastopol girls was sitting with a nest full of eggs. she was intent on hatching and i only removed off eggs but nothing hatched. she wandered around sad looking for a couple weeks, then got back to normal. she laid (& recruited others to help) another nest full and got a great result.

fingers crossed, for your girl to get back to normal soon.

if you wanted more geese; you could research where you could get some eggs for her (in your area) when she next goes clucky.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:54 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Careful she is not eggbound, which could require a visit to the vet.