Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Two people hurt rescuing poultry from dog attack

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:29 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 12:01 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

This news item caught my attention this morning when I heard it on my radio. I'm posting a link as a cautionary tale:

Quote:
Latest Media Releases
Two in hospital following dog attack - Castlereagh

Sunday, 10 May 2015 08:46:42 AM

A man and woman are in hospital with serious injuries following a dog attack at Castlereagh yesterday.

About 3.15pm (Saturday 9 May 2015), a man and woman returned to their Church Street home when they noticed two dogs inside the chicken coop attacking the chickens and ducks.

The woman entered the coop while the man went inside to get some restraints for the dogs.

The woman screamed after being attacked by one of the dogs and then man ran into the coop to find the woman pinned to the ground. The man was able to free her from the animal; however he was then attacked by the dog. Eventually both dogs left the coop and emergency services were contacted.

Police attended and one of the dogs was located, however the second dog was unable to be sighted. ...

Two in hospital following dog attack

It is quite a while since we have had a post about poultry being attacked by dogs. Please, put human safety first in the awful event that your own poultry are being harmed.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 1:29 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Yep human life is more important than chooks.A dog that is in attack mode is not to be taken on.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:12 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

A shovel,pichfork or ironbar if any of them were handy,would of helped, :nail:

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:15 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

And make sure your pens can withstand an onslaught from large, strong and determined animal....

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 10:10 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

That is seriously scary.

And reminds me of what may have happened to myself , when i came home to find a new neighbours pigdog in the process of killing my newly acquired BLR breeding trio back in September last year.
It had scaled a 6 foot fence to get in - and thank God that fence was between us when i found it.....it went for for me , through the fence......and because of the height of the fence i had a few seconds to get to safety in my ute.
I really feel for these people as this could so easily have been me.
I really hope they will recover quickly , and the authorities catch both dogs and do what is necessary for everyones safety.
As i have learnt , you cannot underestimate the determination, or aggression of dogs in killing mode.