Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - How to choose where to visit in France? Bresse!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 2:54 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:34 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Try a taxi on at peak hour

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:44 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

infoaddict wrote:
Oh myyyyyyyyy.

Verdict: Bresse smells and tastes like home-grown chook with the softness -partly - of commercial birds. Not so dry and watery, and with a scary amount of yellow fat that makes almost as good roasted veggies as duck fat.

The crackling is real and crispy, but much lighter and thinner than mature home-grown birds. Like the paper-thin crunchy skin of home-grown spit-roasted piglet vs. chunkier skin of a more mature piggie.

Wish I could find out what kind of stock the carcass would make but I'm not here long enough ...

Phwaoooor!!

Glad i am not a vegetarian and bet you are too! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:51 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I have lived in France and Portugal. French drivers are fast but pussycats. Portuguese drivers (and some of the roads) are terrible :shock: When you go out, you find yourself driving 2 cars at once- 50% of the time you are driving your own, and the other 50% of the time you are second guessing what someone else might be about to do! A kiwi friend was staying for a month with us, he was terrified and couldn't give the keys back fast enough!

Glad you enjoyed the chook :-D A lot of French (and Portuguese) birds are fed on corn - hence the yellow fat. If you ever go to Portugal, you must have chicken on the charcoal barbie, served with home made chips and a salad. Its available everywhere and its just the best :-D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:13 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Spain is the same. Road rules and speed limits seem to be advisory. Parking is done by touch and the footpath is for parking if there are no spaces on the side of the road. Motor bikes also use the footpath if the road is too slow.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:42 am 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

I am told Paris is insane and we're not actually driving there.

Malta is nuts. All the roads are basically the width of one tiny car and are all two-way, and yet people park in them and drive both ways to get there. Road rules are so optional that they don't even bother painting lines on the road, except for the half-dozen major roads that cross the island. One keeps roughly to the left, drives assertively but not aggressively, and trusts that when you overtake three cars on the left, everyone else will get out of the way because they're doing the same. It sort of works as long as you are confident. Timid drivers don't get anywhere.

And Smart Cars and scooters SO make sense here.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:43 am 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Photos are coming just as soon as I work out how to resize the bloody things on an iPad!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:54 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Cool!

You may need an app for that. I put a few photo editing apps on mine for those moments.