Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - So...I got myself a Rooster Collar...

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:34 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:04 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

How do those collars work?

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:34 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Theoretically... They are worn low on the neck, quite firm. They wrap around and Velcro to itself. The idea is that they reduce the amount of air the rooster can expel at once. Apparently the force of air out of the ?lungs is part of what allows the roosters crow to be loud, so reducing it's capacity to force the air out so quickly subsequently reduces the volume of crowing.

Not so for No-name James. He's a bugger, and keeps wriggling his up too high. Jordan however doesn't even seem to be aware there's anything on his neck!!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:20 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Really, I was thinking more like a shock collar for dogs. They seem to work alright then.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:51 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Update on rooster collars, 2 weeks on.

Success at this point with juvenile cockerels is 50/50.

No-Name James crowed with his collar on, in a dark box with no room to extend his neck. There was no stopping him, and his fate was sealed.

Jordan however hasn't said boo yet... There us hope for him yet.

The differences: NNJ had began crowing prior to the collar going on & was disturbed by its presence. He carried on like a pork chop. NNJ was also clearly more mature than Jordan, same hatching.

Jordan has not noticed the collar, never crowed & beginning to look more matured now. Will be interesting to see what the next few weeks bring.

No eggs have been fertile, but only the Silkies are laying. :huh? Yes, you heard right, the silkies are the only ones laying. Except Naughty, who's broody. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:31 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Thanks for sharing your 50/50 results Sogreen.
Sometimes cockerels don't crow if there is a more dominant male around. They like to fly under the radar a bit it seems.

It will be interesting to see if Jordan starts crowing attempts now that James is gone.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:27 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks for this SoGreen, I am following the results with interest as I hadn't heard of this device before. I was going to say the same thing regarding Jordan, it could just be that he is a 2nd ranking cockerel, submissive to the dominant bird. Without competition you might find he does start, so do please keep us updated on what happens.

I also have a question, what does 'He carried on like a pork chop' mean please? (I am a Brit!)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:44 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

MrsBiscuit wrote:
Thanks for this SoGreen, I am following the results with interest as I hadn't heard of this device before. I was going to say the same thing regarding Jordan, it could just be that he is a 2nd ranking cockerel, submissive to the dominant bird. Without competition you might find he does start, so do please keep us updated on what happens.

I also have a question, what does 'He carried on like a pork chop' mean please? (I am a Brit!)

:-D Means he threw a loud and noisy tantrum

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:24 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

angelcake wrote:
MrsBiscuit wrote:

:-D Means he threw a loud and noisy tantrum

Yes, he did throw a chooky tantrum...and it went on and on....

When. I put it on, he "gave up the goose" (thought he was dying, so surrended) by flopping off his perch and lying sideways in the litter at the bottom on the coop. He flopped around in circles & made me check that collar time and time again. Mind you, if I was bringing food, he'd stand bolt upright and be first in line, eating, drinking & scratching around as if there was nothing wrong!! :nuts Crazy Roo, that one!! He protested loud & clear about the rooster collar, so won his right not to wear it and has now moved on from my house. (To a pot, I assume, but I didn't ask.)

Jordan has decide now that NNJ is not around that he might step up to the role... His crowing just began this morning, but is not loud & clearly restrained. Not sure if it's "learning how to crow" restrained or Rooster Collar working restrained... Will soon see...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:17 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Some roosters have a quieter crow, than others. The chooks about 300 metres away,are very noisy and can be heard quite clearly. My rooster, thank goodness, has a 'gentleman's voice' that is neither loud, nor starts much before sunrise. I think that he is just pleased to have all he can eat while foraging, and five girls to keep his libido to the required standard.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:19 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Gosh, I miss out on all the up to date poultry fashions, I haven't got anything red except some old trackies. I'll have to keep my eye out for pink wellies and update my wardrobe a bit

Very Snazzy SoGreen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:24 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

It's good to have birthday & Mother's Day in the same month...I get all my chook fashion stocked up each year!! Last year was a grey gown & red tartan boots!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:36 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Here's Jordan today.

Not exactly a full, loud crow...but not quite the result I was after. I will check & adjust the collar tonight & see what tomorrow brings.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:16 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

So not tight enough or not really effective do you think?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:17 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

:dontknow

Combination of both?? The collar was looser than it should be, so I have rewrapped it a bit firmer. Possibly not as effective as one would hope for. Last try for us I think.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:03 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Here's a link to a video showing great results to quieten a rooster with Velcro.

The rooster collar I have (cost $25) is 3 strips of Velcro about 1cm wide spaced with netting to give an overall width of about 2". What I have found is the netting is softer than the Velcro & collapses between, so the width left around the roosters neck is the 3cm of Velcro strips. This is possibly why I'm having little success.

I have tightened Jordan's collar as tight as I dare. Failing this, I will go to the fabric store and buy a 2" width of firm Velcro for considerably less than $25 and give that a go.

Otherwise Jordan will have to go & I will buy fertile eggs from elsewhere when needed.

The guy on the video seems to have been quite successful.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next