Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - just how tame are wyandottes ?.

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:45 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:01 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I have 3 young slw cockerals that seem super tame and follow me around and when I stop they often just stop and forage near me. Today I said to my youngest daughter watch this and walked around one of my avairy's with the said cockerals in toe and around a second time and then back out the chicken run with them still following , deadset there like pups . I hope I can rehome these 3 as they will be great backyard roos.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:56 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Mine are generally fairly placid while they are young , and most follow me for food when they are let out to free range , although i dont encourage it. I actually prefer that they dont become too familiar with me , ive found that those that do , have had more of a tendency to lose respect for the hand that feeds them and become aggressive as they mature.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:15 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Mine will come for food but would not call them tame.Now modern game completely different :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:39 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I don't have Wyandottes, but I have other large breed roosters.

I agree with Angelcake, I don't encourage them to follow me or get too friendly as they mature, and If they do follow me out in the yard I usually shoo them away. I don't handle them unless I have to.

Mine are not flat out aggressive, but they do make sure I know they are there and I don't turn my back on them.

When they mature and their hormones start racing and they find the girls their attitude changes completely and you won't be important anymore, but rather a competitor to them.. In my experiences.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:51 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Yes, it would be something to watch out for if they get to tame, my Brown leghorn cockerel i have noticed lately he is approaching me from behind and standing there, i have started shoeing him away and stamp my foot at him whilst approaching him fast. he runs off so far so good, he hasn't had a go but i'm watching him. He's crowing to much now for he's own good, doesn't shut up, so looks like he will probably be given to a friend on a farm, has a mixed bag of hens. The slw cockerel has a quieter crow and he doesn't crow for long and he seems to get on with all the other chooks, not so for the leghorn he gives all the young cockerals a hard time and i can't free range the blue laced red wyandotte roo because of him.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:21 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

My experiences mirror guineafowl's. My 2 hand raised Orpington boys would tag team having goes at me when they became about 1 year old. Each time I'd do some "I'm the boss" manoeuvre like pick them up or pin them down (gently, I was never rough) and they stopped having goes at me after a while (couple of months). However, I am always mindful now and don't turn my back on them (much) - they can't be trusted to behave anymore, but it's been about 6 months since the last incident.

On the other hand I have a little Pekin roo that often draws blood (usually biting), but he's easy to subdue and he's a good little fellow all the rest of the time. Pekins are "cuddle pets" usually, so it just illustrates that "some mothers do have 'em" even the docile breeds

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:29 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

My very first roo about 23 yrs ago was a Pekin roo and he was real nasty, would attack every time you entered the pen, i ended up having to take a broom in with me to fend him off, even then if you took your eyes off him look out. he was hen raised so wasn't hand raised but wow he was a nasty piece of work, got the chop in the end.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:11 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Hand raised ones can be worse as they have lost the fear of humans but retained the aggression. Remember there are two types of natural selection methods in nature. Male domination where the males fight to become the dominant mating male or sperm dominance where the healthiest sperm from any number of males scores the goal.

Roosters are meant to be aggressive therefore but one that is aggressive to humans as well is simply a pain and sometimes even dangerous.

Mike