Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Diary of a Fox Trap - Trialling the Collarum

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue May 26, 2020 1:23 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:46 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I have foxes frequently these days. Whilst they haven't (so far) broken into any of my chook sheds I think it's only because they haven't had the time to find the weaknesses.

I decided to try the Collarum fox trap. I became a little more confident in trying this trap after reading some recommendations from the Queensland government (sorry, I didn't keep the reference, but if I find it again, I'll post it). I also liked the idea that it was species specific, so nothing else would be caught if it was accidentally set off (that includes myself!)

I couldn't find an AU supplier, so I ordered it from the US. The trap itself was US$76 plus another $70 in postage. Considering the size and weight of the parcel I thought this was a colossal ripoff, but it seems it requires special handling, processing and security checks. The actual postage on the parcel was US$65.95. All up including the exchange rate it cost me almost AU$200

Here's the box. I didn't have a fizzy drink can, so I used a spray paint can to give you an idea of size

The parcel was opened with the security check tape over the opened end

The contents of the box:

And the instructions - a "quick field guide", a longer instruction booklet, and a CD

I'll read through all the materials and watch the CD before I do anything else, but I will try to document the steps in this thread and let everyone know how I go, how easy I find it to work and/or set up and - of course - how effective it is.

If anyone wants additional information or other pictures that I have not included here, please ask and I'll do my best to fill the gap

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:58 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Looks interesting. Keen to hear more about this and how it works

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:44 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

I am following with interest as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:00 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Im VERY interested to hear how it works, there doesn't look like there's much in the box !
I have a dead fox hanging over the fence on my property, so much for being a deterrent, there is fox poo in my garden and around my coop every single morning ...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:10 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Another interested party here - more for my neighbors than myself , they have had quite bad fox problems , and set fox cage traps around their property , all they have caught so far is their shitzu cross....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:10 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Collarum products are available in Qld here-http://www.fatcow.com.au/c/professional-trapping-services/canine-traps-and-rescue-products-from-professional-trapping-services-n806673

Just be aware that you still have to dispatch the animal humanely and they will catch dogs. Good luck with it

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:59 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

BE AWARE
the use of snares and snare type holding type devices is illegal in most Australian states.
It is not illegal to own such a device, but the use of such device is frowned upon by the authorities, RSPCA, AND other animal rights wackos, and can result in massive fines if found in use.
My opinion is that you keep any further discussion on this matter under cover.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:16 pm 
Wyandotte Warrior
Wyandotte Warrior

Just a couple of thoughts.

After looking at the you-tube video of a fox caught in the trap anyone that uses the trap should be prepared to then dispose of the fox with a bullet. Secondly can't work out how it would be species specific. If an animal's head is about the size of fox I reckon it would be caught as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:13 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

The Moreton Bay (QLD) council has some information on catching wild dogs and foxes and says that it has become popular with many council trapping strategies. Here is a link to the page.
https://www.moretonbay.qld.gov.au/gener ... ?id=115301

Don't think they would promote it if it was illegal.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:34 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

snowman wrote:
BE AWARE
the use of snares and snare type holding type devices is illegal in most Australian states.
It is not illegal to own such a device, but the use of such device is frowned upon by the authorities, RSPCA, AND other animal rights wackos, and can result in massive fines if found in use.
My opinion is that you keep any further discussion on this matter under cover.

If you read the early posts &b see the photos,you will see where Customs,or who ever
opened the box & had a look, as it had inspection tape on it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:23 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Customs cannot interfere with items, unless it is a prohibited import under Federal laws. You should not use that as a basis for your use.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:26 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Some good points have been raised, so I'll attempt to address them.

I rang DEPI (it's some other name now, but in a couple of years it'll be something else again, so DEPI will do for the moment). They only said it needed to comply with the cruelty to animals act. In this case it would be to ensure that anything caught in the trap is sorted within some number of hours, anywhere from 8 hours to 48 hours, depending on the situation. Since I propose to set this on my own property I don't foresee any difficulty complying unless I should become incapacitated for some reason.

Thank you RJ for the Morton Bay link, I had not seen that one before. I did find the reference that I mentioned at the beginning of this post, here: http://www.southwestnrm.org.au/sites/de ... traint.pdf - However, I don't live in Qld, I live in VIC, so it was a good thing to follow up.

As for dispatching any foxes caught, I have already discussed this with a neighbor who has agreed to come and "do the deed" for me, and as for your other point, Denis, I'm sure it's possible for the device to catch a similar type/size of animal (a dog or cat), but you are meant to just release them. Part of the "species specific" is that the trap is triggered by pulling on something (taking a bait) as opposed to stepping on something, so just stepping on it will not set it off. Also, if you are not shaped like a fox it will most likely miss, for instance if a chook should try to take the bait, although they would get a jolly good fright I should think, supposing they set it off. I haven't gotten very far into the instruction literature, so I'm a little vague on all the finer detail. If I find a better answer to this point, I'll post it.

Snowman there are old fashioned jaw traps that are illegal for use in the field, but you can own as like a collector's item, or part of a collection (like a museum), so I'm wondering if that's the type of thing you have in mind?

I chose this method because of literature suggesting it was a device in use by councils, it wouldn't hurt whatever was caught, and it was obtainable at a more reasonable price. Some of the cage traps are nearly $400! The main worry is to get the fox dispatched in a short period of time to prevent unnecessary suffering (ie from lack of food, water or shelter), and I'm all for that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:30 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

I promise I am not trying ot be a naysayer, but how are you going to deal with an angry cat or other creature captured? feral cats, yep, dispensed with, but how will you tell?

while cage traps are twice the price, they are safer for yourself to deal with unintentional captures

best wishes, and look forward to you having some wonderful results

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:39 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Snares are a horrific thing. We use soft mouth traps here on our farms for wild dogs and dingoes. Foxes we simply sit and shoot during the right seasons of the year.
The worst thing about snares is not that the animal has a fine wire that constricts around it's neck, but when it sees you coming it goes nuts in that constriction. Which does the animal some real harm in it's final moments.

I'd rather run an electric fence around all my chook pens (which is what we do) and then destroy the foxes when we see them sitting quietly in a paddock. (but each to their own of course, some people living in built up areas don't have that last option I suppose).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:22 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Smallflock
Victorian Prevention to Cruelty to Animals Regulations 2008
REGULATIONS 42 , 43 AND 44 DEALS WITH non lethal snares
I find it improbable that a fox or other animal caught around the neck will not tighten the snare to the point where it constricts its breathing and blood flow, and good luck releasing unwanted species( cats , dogs , other native wildlife that are caught ) without injury to yourself or the animal, whilst releasing and transporting to a vet to be assessed for damage , as per regulations.
I sincerely hope you have Ministerial approval for the use of these snares , or are in a position to cover some massive fines and costs, if you decide to use them and advocate their use.
AS previously stated i would keep further discussion on this matter undercover.
Yes , I was previously referring to both steel jawed traps and snare type devices .