Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Kids and Chooks

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:20 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kids and Chooks
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:16 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Just wanted to share two stories on how our chooks (and to that you can add the rest of our animals too!) have helped with our kids.

First up is my 7yr old who has Aspergers - there is only black and white in his world, and often very little compassion. Last weekend he was sick, and it was also that weekend we found our sole surviving quail baby had been pecked quite severely overnight. Well the 7yr old decided to take on the baby because 'I know how it feels Mum'. He spent the morning making a shelter, from cardboard, sticky tape and whatever else he could find. Then he named the baby, Fluffy. Even writing Fluffy's name on the roof of the newly made shelter. Each morning and afternoon he checks Fluffy, cleaning water, feeding, and more importantly spending time just talking to Fluffy. For a kid that normally struggles to make connections, it is so heartwarming to see how such a tiny bird can have such a big impact.

Next is my 9yr old, after a few dramas - those with 9yr old boys will understand - the introduction of the chooks and ducks to his chore chart has turned out to be a blessing. After much whinging and 'this sucks', we now have a changed child. Having so many ears to listen while he gets his day out, and despite a few noises and quacks those ears don't judge him or talk back. He now keeps on top of the food/waters and actually enjoys spending time with the chooks and ducks. Plus he is also becoming more interested as we add different breeds and learn about them. I think, like me, the world of poultry is a new found interest that opens the door to so much - a 9yr old is without realising learning about animal care, responsibility, biology, genetics, reproduction, and the list goes on... Please just don't tell him that he is learning, because apparently learning 'sucks'.. To be a kid again, lol.

I also love the fact my kids know where eggs come from! I'm constantly surprised when the kids have friends over at how much joy they get from our backyard zoo. The smiles are definitely rewarding. Another bonus, our kids always have interesting show and tell for school :)

Post subject: Re: Kids and Chooks
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:38 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

:th for sharing that. It is great to hear.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:37 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

That is so lovely. I think chooks are such a great pet for children and many of the elderly a well.
Hope your little ones continue to learn and enjoy them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:00 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thank you both, honestly I think there are some brilliant animals out there that are often overlooked as therapy pets. The humble chook being a prime example.

Happy to report Master 7yr old efforts have paid off, Fluffy the baby quail is thriving.