Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Choosing a rooster - Australorp

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:01 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:19 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Well hello, long time no see...
My six remaining splash/blue Australorp chickens are doing fine. They even coped with being rounded up by the kelpie pup next door, and one nearly made it to the railway reserve across the road, in the mouth of my border collie/cattle dog X.

They are dear little things with a funny chirp. Having been brought upstairs every night for about 6 weeks, some will come up to me for a pet.

Now, I have 3 roosters and 3 hens (that I can tell). I would like to keep one rooster, another one has a home ready, for roostering dooties, and the third I'm afraid, will be dinner.

How to choose? They all look very much alike. I am not worried about showing them (all that fuss) so the number of serrations on the comb is not important. My instinct is to go with a gentle rooster, one that his pullet nest mates tend to walk around with, and which comes up to me. OK they all come up but this one gets under my feet.

One of the other roosters, has been inclined to just reach out and peck the neck of whichever hen is beside him, and I'm thinking this one should be Roast.

My Pancho is an Australorp/Araucana cross and he is a wonderful flock shepherd. I will be sorry to put him down but I know chooks have no concept of death.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:09 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

If you are not worried about showing your birds then pick the one you like the best. :biggrin:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:00 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Yep - the one you like best but remember this is not a love match with cuddles and caresses. A rooster needs to be dominant and somewhat aggressive with his lovemaking. Some hens will quite happily "present" to a rooster and others need the the rooster to prove his worth by forcing himself on her. If he doesn't then the hens wont be mated and won't produce fertile eggs.

The balance is to find a rooster that does his job on all the hens without damaging them. An overly aggressive rooster can pull feathers out of a hens head and neck (as well as skin) and also damage their thighs and abdomen. Not all hens lie being mated, its a function not a pleasure thing for poultry.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:23 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Well Pancho was meek and mild to start with, in fact I called him "Wuss". However there were three other cockerels in the batch, and the flock was at a neighbour's because I had nowhere to put them. Of a morning, I had to race down and let the other three out: they would be perched up high, in a group, to get away from the hens. I'd let them out to free range then mid-afternoon I'd let the rest of the flock out (to keep the eggs in collectible places).

I am trying to avoid a bully, having seen what a bullying rooster can do. I also think one of the cockerels from a couple of years ago, broke my then broody's neck with his forceful servicing.

Am hoping for the pullets to indicate their preference. The Browns will be disposed of over the next few days as they are sitting in the nests, not doing anything, and annoying the layers.

thanks for the advice :)