Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - How Did You Become Interested in Poultry?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:42 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:10 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

With my new found interest in poultry, and after a few recent conversations, I'm curious as to how everyone became interested in poultry?

My interest came about after adding a different breed of chook to our standard layers. I've always had chooks, but kept them for eggs only. We already had one bantam in amongst the girls, but after getting two 'unusual' looking babies, then shortly after adding more, well let's just say the adding more hasn't yet stopped, lol.
Then we got given a duckling when collecting some new chooks with the words, 'every kid needs a duck'.
So, the zoo continues to grow :-D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:56 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

childhood

it was my job to look after the chooks.

wind forward a few years

and I got my own when living away from home and grew from there

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:04 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Moved to the country on a few acres. Bought some egg layers for nice blue eggs.
Wouldn't be without them now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:26 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I've always lived in the country, Dad had Andalusians when I was little and being the eldest it was my job to feed the dogs (working farm dogs) chooks and horses. Well I took a shine to the Andies and have virtually had them ever since....don't like horses (they meant work for me as a kid)

Have branched out now and again to other breeds but always kept the Andies and let the others go.

:wee :clnava

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:57 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Great idea for a thread thezoo. I have been thinking of starting a thread along these lines myself. Welcome to the forums by the way :stretcher . I am normally a fairly quiet person unless enticed by a particular topic then i tend to get on a roll. This topic has just enticed me and i feel i'm about to get on a roll so you'd better go and pour a cuppa or cold drink :whist .

We had a few chooks around twelve years ago. My wife always wanted chooks and so she found someone localish and we went and picked up some 'chooks'. Back then, that's all they were to me.......chooks. In hindsight it was a couple of splash araucanas and a couple of australorps, one black and one white. The splash araucanas were not a hit with me. I thought they were the most antisocial and ugliest chooks i had ever seen. Not understanding splash and how it works i was even annoyed by the black leakage in them. The australorps however i enjoyed watching in the back yard. I found them really peaceful to watch and enjoyed their help with the turning of the compost heap. I would cover the heap with a piece of old carpet and keep it moist. Every now and then i would peel back the carpet and worms would start jumping and the chooks would go into frenzy. Anyway..... :roll:

We had to move. We moved from the coast to the country. Our new place wasn't set up for chooks and there were other more important things that needed tending to before a chook house could be established. We thought they would be okay free ranging the yard through the day and locked up at night.......you know the rest of the story.

Eight or nine years passed and i hadn't really given chooks much more thought. In the meantime i had been trying a couple of hobbies and finding they were eating into family time too much plus my age was getting to a point where sport was becoming less enjoyable. We had a couple of mini horses on a block and i was finding myself more and more drawn to wanting to play with livestock in some way. My wife had also asked about getting some chickens again :think: .......Grew up in the city and moved to the country......chickens is probably a good start :globe . I figured it might even be a hobby that i could profit from and help pay the rates on the block :rofl: . My wife again tracked down a local breeder and we went to pick up some hamburgh and campine pullets. When i got home and did some research on campines and hamburghs, that's when my view of chooks was broken down and i finally started opening my eyes to all the different purebred varieties.........and rare breeds.......they could be profitable :rofl mini .

So off i went to start breeding chickens. First stop, that giant book that we call the internet :read .......cool, you can buys egg online and hatch them :yess , all i need is an incubator. Ebay, here i come. FYI, this is December 2013. I'll just get christmas out of the way. Gotta go back to the city and visit the family, when i get back i'll order some eggs.....shows how little i knew then hay :oops: . As you can probably guess, i had a hard time getting some eggs at that time of year :aaargh: . Most of the eggs i could get weren't producing good results and the breeders that looked to have good stock weren't selling any eggs :dontknow . In the meantime, i still had this ideal that perhaps i could profit from this hobby :dedhrs . Righto, what can i get in the way of hamburgh or campine eggs, i'll start there and look into about 6 more breeds, that should be a good way to make profit. Well i couldn't get my hands on any hamburgh eggs but i managed to get some campine eggs and even got about half of them to hatch. So i ordered some more :biggrin: .

Meanwhile i was still looking at other breeds in this new world of chooks that i had discovered and remembered my neighbour, who has light sussex, mentioned a type of chook called a wine dot.......so i googled 'wine dot'. Eventually i worked out that they were called wyandottes and was suddenly in love with these red ones with blue lacing. I soon found out that they weren't available in Australia but were in development and decided to only breed blue laced gold, gold laced and silver laced.......and maybe buff and buff laced :rofl: .

As you can probably guess, i spent quite a bit of money on eggs to try to get set up for all these varieties. As they grew and i learned more about what was involved, i started to realize there was more to it than i first thought. I decided the wyandottes were more for me than the campines so donated the campines to the local school. I wanted to go about breeding in such a way that excess cockerels would be eaten by the family so needed to start learning about the processing side of things......city boy remember. I felt if i was to make a go of breeding, then i would have to get my head around the culling and processing side of things or i would be at a dead end. I also had to learn about what to look for asap so i knew which ones to keep. My journey as a student of genetics had begun.....and i was fascinated.

So we get to October 2014. I have selected what i feel to be the best options for the breeding stock. The gold laced didn't work out for me, nothing of good enough quality to work with. I only managed a trio of silver laced and a decent pair of blue laced gold. The silver laced are slow to get laying but the blue laced gold girl is laying good sized eggs regularly. I ended up hatching forty something chickens from that pair last season and a big fat zero from the silver laced. I needed more space (gee, didn't see that coming) and the silver laced boy was turning nasty so i decided just to focus on blue laced golds till i can get some blue laced reds and learn as much as i can in the meantime.

We had also purchased a trio of silkies and were starting to hatch from those. In between December 2013 and October 2014, i bought and IM70 incubator, then a Janoel to try out, then another Janoel, then decided to buy a greatlander cabinet but by this time i had learned enough to realize that profit wasn't the reason i was in it anymore :clnava :fead .

The hatching and growing and selecting and the anticipation when trying to breed to the standard is where the enjoyment is for me. I have also found the learning of genetics to be incredibly fascinating. I don't have the highest level of education but something about the world of genetics just seems to fit and i find it also satisfies my creative side. I am not a very competitive person, more of a perfectionist, compete against myself kind of person so i am not overly enticed by the show scene at this stage but who knows where this journey might go. Being open minded and learning as i go has worked for me so far.

As it turns out i now have a breeding group of those beautiful birds that first captivated me, the blue laced reds, and i am lucky enough to be working alongside some very knowledgeable and experienced breeders. Breeders that contributed to a lot of the information on genetics that i learned from when i was starting. Also through this forum i have met a few members and made some teriffic friendships already and they are the sort of friendships that i feel will last. As far as hobbies go, so far i have found it incredibly enjoyable, addictive even.

I told you i get on a roll :oops: . Well i couldn't just say i got into chooks 'cause i thought it would be profitable'. It might have got a giggle but it wouldn't have painted the whole picture. I would love to hear how or why a few others got into it. For me it's only a couple of short years but i'm sure there are others that have been breeding for a lot longer that would love to tell their story :oldie . If you managed to get through all that, thank you for reading mine. It's only just begun :peece .

Shane.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:23 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Grew up with chooks,ducks, birds and farmstock so was always interested in them. Have had my own birds for 34 years now :aaargh: :aaargh: :aaargh: , I am realizing I'm not so young anymore. Still have the passion for all.birds.and.animals don't think I could ever be without any.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:25 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

DottesnSilk wrote:
Great idea for a thread thezoo. I have been thinking of starting a thread along these lines myself. Welcome to the forums by the way :stretcher . I am normally a fairly quiet person unless enticed by a particular topic then i tend to get on a roll. .

Great story and thanks for sharing DottesnSilk...I too love BLRW's but in bantam due to our suburban locale. :-D Hope your breeding efforts go well!

We got into it after a co-incidental trip to the supermarket where we bumped into a local friend (in front of the eggs aisle!) minding her neighbour's chooks "Oh I should give you some eggs" she said blithely -"we have tonnes!". This co-incided with the closure of the lane behind our house which gave us extra space in our yard which we had been debating how best to utilise.

I think I was the one who said on that fateful walk home from the supermarket "Chickens eh? So why don't we get our own chickens?" and my LSOH (Long suffering other half) who is country born and bred, (unlike this local suburban raised Melbourne gal) said enthusiastically (and possibly has lived to regret it) "yeah chooks - I had chooks as a kid - good idea!".

Long story short - he then went fishing for a week, I got on the internet and by the time he came back from fishing I had a chook shed and breeds picked out and was itchin' to get to a chook auction! That was Euroa as it happened back in 2009 and our first chook ever was purchased and is still going strong! Shelley Winters our little Pekin-Wyandotte cross mum of many hatches! Shelley has had many companions over the years of different shapes sizes breeds and moods as I experimented with different gals. Love Australorps (the ones my LSOH had as a child) Polish and Jappies and now getting into Wyandottes. Have had Sussex Pekins Araucanas Hamburghs and keen to try Campines Anconas Dorking and Faverolles not to mention some of the new breeds Avgen have brought here.

Ah so many chooks so little room !

(Oh and we are on our fourth chook house as the hobby ahem aher .."expanded" :roll: )

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:19 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

view topic What's Your "HenStory"? - Cool Opportunity for Chook Lovers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:30 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

This topic is bringing back more memories, I will start with my oldies, my Dad's father came back from the war after being a prisoner of war in Burma with the Japs. He lived for Enougher 8 years before dying at 38 , he's heart and lungs were a mess they think was from malnutrition in the camps and malaria and whatever else he would have suffered with. Well because he lived for that long after the war my nan wasn't entitled to a war widows pension and with 4 young kids life became real hard so my Dad had to work from the age of 11 before and after school at a egg farm ( won't eat any poultry and blames this ). At 14 moved to Sydney to his Aunt's and did a carpenter aprentice ship and met and married my mum a city chick. When I was 4 they moved back to Thirlmere to live with us 3 kids . To help make-up ends meet my Mum went and worked on a game poultry farm Rozeres which was French people, their son had a French restaurant in Sydney , well this comes back to me again as myself and my older brother had the fun job on weekends catching escaped quails and baby ringnecks pheasants as well as catching mature ones for butchering, so so much fun. :nuts .This started both my mum and me on our love of poultry. She has always had chooks and birds since, nothing special in chooks but mainly crosses, pekins and silkies. Sorry for the ramble but memories can be interesting. Oh by the way my Dad stayed life long friends with the son of the poultry farm he worked on until the farmers death. They were from Finland ,Juskie I think was the surname probably spelt it wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:36 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

sue55 wrote:

Hi Sue..can't find that one...can you provide a link?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:51 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

My Ex partner dragged me to a chook auction, I hated chickens at the time, then i fell in love!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:01 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

TookTook wrote:
sue55 wrote:

Hi Sue..can't find that one...can you provide a link?
Thanks!

I also couldn't find the old thread. I'd love to read through, as I am enjoying the stories of others.
Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:57 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Probably from 7 days old have been surrounded by chickens Was raised on a large commercial operation that has enabled me to implement a lot of their practices into our world.Big is always better in my world.
We bought the best whether it was chickens or incubators had many disasters with foxes along the way.Have learnt to be strong in handling death in poultry will kill rubbish that does not meet my standards will not spend too much time on sick animals as i have read and witnessed probably most diseases doing the rounds.
I started showing because someone dared me too and i was hooked traveled and meet some fantastic friends along the way.
Our world is our poultry we buy houses and land that will suit the chooks due to us moving to suburbia the chooks have been bought 30 acres just for them the bank manager did think it was rather strange :-) We buy cars that will suit chicken transport
Would hate to think the money that has been spent on the buggers.
Growing up in a commercial operation I do appreciate the work they do I will never be as good as them but I would love to and while people criticize the big boys we can learn alot from them bio security etc they do it well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:21 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

as a kid my neighbour had chooks in a pen that backed onto our backyard & only 3m from our back door.
My Mother used to complain about the smell in the wet season so the neighbour gave us more eggs!
As an adult I sometimes had chooks depending on where I lived or how much land I owned which was usually somewhere rural on a cattle property or small town.
Since being here for 8yrs I wanted to get chooks but never had time to rebuild the old chook sheds that were already here.
Also wanted to redesign the layout as lots of wasted house yard that needed mowing for no good reason.
Then my daughter came to live in my rental granny flat & wanted chooks. So I ordered 3 black Australorp certified hand raised organic POL hens at $55 each.
Then she told me she was getting 4 ex commercial free range layers for free so I cancelled the order. So began the saga of the ex commercial layer syndrome as I now call it where each has it's own health issue that needs money & time that I don't have.
But my daughter is the sort of person to use & abuse then leave to die 'naturally'. In other words don't care properly for the birds or take into account their proper needs.
It has all been left to me. She threw a bit of feed at them each morning & I did all the husbandry, topped up their nutrition needs & everything else including running after them everyday when they got out into my vegie garden! :X
Now she is moving out & leaving me with 4 chooks that need so much care.
I have been sick & unable to care for myself properly, let alone them & one (black nice kindly hen)needs to be knocked on the head due to the bumble foot that she would not help me treat nor share the cost of treatment.
Another (red commercial) is a free loader now since it stopped laying after having shell-less egg & egg bound issues. Still occasionally spits out a yolk on the perch at night time.
So 2 are laying most days which is good I guess.
But I am changing them back onto a standard diet because I can't afford this high folluttin' diet that my daughter insisted they have.
Because I have been raging a running battle with rodents requiring me to completely clean up the pen every night, I recently purchased a treadle feeder which the chooks are getting used to.
Still, it is all more cost. I used to eat 12 eggs over 3wks at a cost of around $7 for local free range.
These chooks have already cost me many, many $100's making their eggs worth nearly as much as gold I'd say.
But because I am the type of person I am in that I feel responsible for their lives & well being & to give them the best I can, I will look after them until their timely deaths.
Whether I get more is debatable. I think I'll be 'chooked' out!

going through the process of getting organic certification for my property but horse & chook worming throwing a big spanner in the works

Favourite saying: Madness is doing the same thing over & over, but expecting a different result! -Einstein

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:17 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

My son bought three Isa Browns when he was 10.
I started reading Kazjaps, Ruff and Sigi and here we are now (8 years Later) with 40 Silkies - Bloody kids!
Dottes I never thought I'd make any money from them BUT I never thought they would cost as much as they do.
Clissa you need to buy a couple more that actually lay. When you're investing all that time you at least need a reward,