Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - How Did You Become Interested in Poultry?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:31 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:50 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Here is a link to the HenStory thread I started:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8034860

I just had a read over it and remembered how sad I was that morning... & how much the lovely responses cheered me up. I've had a hard year but I'm feeling the BYP love right now :mteor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:28 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thank you for the link, off to have a read after I make a coffee!

Plus, thank you to everyone for the stories so far. I find it really interesting to read everyone's stories, so many different reasons/circumstances as to how we all got started in poultry.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:34 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Bronze wrote:
Clissa you need to buy a couple more that actually lay. When you're investing all that time you at least need a reward,

Oh yes Bronze I would love to get a trio of heritage birds like I had on order originally, but until all these current ones are dead & the whole area has been cleansed, I can't bring in any new chooks.
These ex commercial birds have some sort of flu that never goes away. They came here with this wheezing & sneezing & gurgling & vomiting up the last swallowed food or water.
It doesn't seem to affect them although maybe that's why they have all these other laying issues.
In anycase I wouldn't get more until these are gone & I'm even going to bulldoze the old shed & built a new one a little distance away & start a new run.
I believe this flu thing can live on in the soil for a while. So I have to go totally new. As I said I might be all chooked out by then anyway! :roll:

going through the process of getting organic certification for my property but horse & chook worming throwing a big spanner in the works

Favourite saying: Madness is doing the same thing over & over, but expecting a different result! -Einstein

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:30 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Its in the breeding, always had chooks growing up , my parents ,brother, uncles, cousins and grandfather all showed chooks and when I wanted a few pretty chooks for my own backyard my Uncle said costs the same to feed good chooks as it does a crossbreed and gifted me a trio of Japanese and almost 30 years still breeding and showing Japanese Bantams

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:18 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

The wife got chooks about a year a go.

I thought I could cover my costs + something (entrepreneurial spirit).

Then Google.

then an incubator then another 2 incubators.

So far the most eggs I have set at once was 170.

Perhaps it is the business and economics degree or perhaps it is the fact that of the several hundred eggs I have hatched I have only kept one chook but the chooks have paid for themselves.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:22 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

petanque wrote:
The wife got chooks about a year a go.

I thought I could cover my costs + something (entrepreneurial spirit).

Then Google.

then an incubator then another 2 incubators.

So far the most eggs I have set at once was 170.

Perhaps it is the business and economics degree or perhaps it is the fact that of the several hundred eggs I have hatched I have only kept one chook but the chooks have paid for themselves.

Well done Petanque! I don't think yours is the average story in terms of $$$ You may have to share your secrets :) :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:25 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

pjh wrote:
Its in the breeding, always had chooks growing up , my parents ,brother, uncles, cousins and grandfather all showed chooks and when I wanted a few pretty chooks for my own backyard my Uncle said costs the same to feed good chooks as it does a crossbreed and gifted me a trio of Japanese and almost 30 years still breeding and showing Japanese Bantams

Yes a gift - that can be how it starts. :rofl: ! Am so glad you did Pam or I would not have the gorgeous little gals I have in my yard today :)

Sorry had I not been so tired tonight I could have combined those last two responses into one - but beat the chooks up today so a long long day.

Love reading these stories though...thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:19 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Many years ago I had a pub and we kept rare breeds for eggs for us and the business. Then came tighter laws around eggs and 2 recessions meant I made more profit from a couple of dozen hens than a multi million £ business so I sacked off the business and kept the chickens. had them a long time now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:10 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I got chooks because I have a lot of weeds. Seriously.

I thought to myself "I could just compost my weeds, and I'd get compost.... Or I could get chooks to eat my weeds, then I'd get some eggs AND some compost!"

Yep, they cost more than just making a compost heap (I have to buy chook food and straw for them) but it's very exciting getting your first ever egg and it's nice to watch those fluffy butts cluck around and chatter away to you.

Now I just need some ducks to deal with my broadleaf weeds like Wandering Jew, and I'll be set :)