Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Been told roosters have to go :(

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:46 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:48 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hopefully I have this posted in the correct place, been a while since I last posted on the forums. Recently had a visit from my local council telling me that they've had a complaint and I will need to get rid of my roosters :upset: . I'm now really confused about zoning, one of the reasons I choose to move out this way is because I thought they were allowed. I checked the zoning before I moved, everything I find says that I am zoned rural. My neighbours have two horses, the people down the road have goats, sheep, cattle, I know of at least two other houses with roosters. Checked it again just in case anything has changed and still can only find that I'm zoned rural. So if somewhere zoned rural can't have roosters then who can? I was hoping to eventually get to the point I could process my own chickens for meat, but that's not going to happen now. I really don't want to be getting eggs from other people for this purpose. Feeling really over chickens at the moment as a result of this and the crows constantly stealing my hen's eggs.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:51 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

It may be a noise pollution issue rather than a zoning or permissions issue. Maybe check with the council if there are provisions for trying noise reduction options first? I don't have roosters, but I've seen folks on the forum here talk about various things to minimise rooster crowing. The council people may not realise that there are options to minimise crowing, and so just issued a 'get rid of them' without thinking about it. If it's a noise pollution thing, you'd think they'd have to give you the same chance to reduce it that someone with a barking dog gets.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:51 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

oh I cannot help, but good to see you. sorry it is under such miserable circumstances for you

I hope things turn around

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:37 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Baby Duck wrote:
It may be a noise pollution issue rather than a zoning or permissions issue. Maybe check with the council if there are provisions for trying noise reduction options first?

I already lock them in pen in the shed at night time when I remember. I can only just hear them when they are in the shed, so no one else should be able to hear them in the shed because I don't have close neighbours. One of the issues is that I leave for work early and don't want to leave them in the shed all day or leave then in the shed on the weekends I'm away. I'm also worried about still getting complains once the roosters are gone. My hens also crow. Used to get complaints all the time about having roosters when I lived in town where I knew I wasn't allowed roosters, because of the crowing hens. Got sick of the council coming over and constantly checking that I really didn't have roosters when I didn't and dreading that happening again.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:39 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

What Council is it and how much land do you have?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:44 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Southern downs regional council and I'm on 1 acre.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:56 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

According to this you cannot keep a rooster in a designation town area.

Your land area? One acre is equivalent to 4046.86 m2

http://www.sdrc.qld.gov.au/ArticleDocuments/378/2a%20SLL2%20Animal%20Management%202011%20-%20Consolidated%20Version.pdf.aspx?Embed=Y

page 8 item 5

That's a list of prohibitions.

So if you are a 'recognised breeder' you are prohibited to have

(iv) more than 20 birds over the age of 6 months to which this item 5 applies on an allotment with an area more than 2,000m2 but not more than 150,000m2;

It looks to me like if you are not in a designated town area, then you should be able to have 20 birds over six months of age.

Did they give you any paperwork?

Are you a recognised breeder? They may have a registration process for that, or they may refer to membership of a recognised club. Are you a club member? A registered member of the FCAQ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:00 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Found the map, for controlled animals. If I lived one street over i would be outside of the boundry . I swear they have moved the boundry since I moved here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:41 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

You can check that - the local library should be able to help you find older maps to check if the boundaries, and therefore, the rules have changed without you being suitably notified.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:00 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Bugger that is very annoying. The rooster laws really are stupid. Not that I think they are quiet, but if my neighbour can have a motorbike he plays with on and off all day what is wrong with a rooster?